collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail question?  (Read 6169 times)

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Blacktail question?
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:35:28 PM »
does anyone know when they go in rut? Compared to Mule deer and whitetails what do they act like the most.....

for the successful hunters out there, how do ou hunt a black tail?

havent done alot of BT hunting and am interested in learning more.....

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Blacktail question?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:33:08 PM »
I'm no expert, but from what I have seen, it can vary from year to year. Sometimes they will go into rut during the general modern firearm season, and other years it seems like not until the late modern firearm season.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:35:54 PM »
does anyone know about horn growth and size growth by age for BT?

just wanting to know how old a good size full 4x4 bt would be?

and what a 2x2 would be?

kind of seems like BT horns dont grow like WT or nule deer.....

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »
My experience has led me to believe that the pre-rut is the time to hunt and it can hit about the second week of the season to the end of Oct. The late buck hunt in Nov is good, but alot of the big bucks are locked down with does.

Keep glassing those thick cuts for bears and you should find some bruiser BTs.

There is no way to age a deer by it's rack. A mature buck will be 3 to 4 pts. A forkie could be 1-3 years old. A lot of it depends on genetics, feed, location, etc.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:34:50 PM »
My experience has led me to believe that the pre-rut is the time to hunt and it can hit about the second week of the season to the end of Oct. The late buck hunt in Nov is good, but alot of the big bucks are locked down with does.

Keep glassing those thick cuts for bears and you should find some bruiser BTs.

There is no way to age a deer by it's rack. A mature buck will be 3 to 4 pts. A forkie could be 1-3 years old. A lot of it depends on genetics, feed, location, etc.

can you feed them like wt?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 04:41:54 PM »
can you feed them like wt?

They are harder to hunt than whitetails, but they can be trained to hit an apple bucket.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 04:45:01 PM »
apple bucket huh? ide be afraid of doing anything like that, to many people would think you were doing something questionable.

ill stick to spot and stock........

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »
apple bucket huh? ide be afraid of doing anything like that, to many people would think you were doing something questionable.

Then what did you mean by feeding them?

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
Most of my Bucks have been killed during the pre rut earliest being oct. 16th and he was fully swelled and his legs were stained dark brown to his hooves right on a doe. So I would say what Willy told you is spot on! Seems like the peak rut is the first weekend of nov around here. Seems to vary with elevation.When I hunted St Helens all the time Late buck would be absolutely prime time even after into the opener of late archery for the rut. Seems like the rut tappers off quite abit during late buck or a bit after around my place.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 05:07:49 PM »
Exactly what BTKR said.  Their is no way to age a deer by it's rack, or by how many points it has.  You have to look at a combination of things to age a deer.  Teeth and Body structure are 2 ways to determine the age range of a Deer.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »
A deers body is fully mature at 3 years isnt it, then from then on they bulk up an dget that big blocky look them old blacktail bucks get. Some have a big ugly roman nose some dont. Once you find a big old potbelly swayback you know you got an anchient blacktail and he may only sport a big heavy 2 point rack! It may only be 16 inches wide and heavy. Watch for the fully white muzzle and I mean all the way to the eyes.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
Here is a break down on aging a Buck during the season.

*In their first year or approx 6 month ( First Deer Season) you can tell their small and have buttons (sometimes spikes).
*In their 2nd - 3rd season or 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 they look kinda goofy.  Their legs look longer than they should in proportion to their body. They also have waht I call a high belly.  
*In their 4th season 3 1/2 years they start to fill out but still don't look well proportioned. .Legs are still a bit long,
*In their 5th season 4 1/2 years they are well proportioned and filled out.
*In their 6th season 5 1/2 years they start to develop a pot belly and their back starts to drop.  
*In their 7th season 6 1/2 years they more than likely have a good pot belly going on as well as solid looking.  This is usually the point when antler start to decline.  Than again it realy depends on the health of the deer.
*From theie 8th season 7 1/2 years they will begin to develope a sway back and begin to break down and really start looking their age. 

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »
maybe deer feed pellets or something......not sure really......

Offline blacktailer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
Hey there Jay.  I'll add my two bits.   I've found that they are rutting pretty hard during our late season which runs Nov. 13-16.  That doesn't give a guy a lot of time but they are moving around a lot at that time.  As far as horn growth and age goes, I would say that there are a lot more big 2 points, 2 x 3's, 2 x 4's, 3 x 5's, etc...  than anything else.  Finding a typical 4 x 4 with eyeguards (at least in Whatcom County) are not real common.  Lots of big old muture bucks that never grew 4 points.   I found the same thing hunting Sitka Blacktails on Kodiak for several years.  Finding a typical 4 x 4 can be real tough.  They can be a very elusive deer, but I don't think a mature blacktail is spooky as a mature whitetail.  Blacktail, Whitetail and Mule deer are all fun to hunt and we are privelaged to live in one of two or 3 states (Don't know if CA has whitetails) and one province that one can enjoy hunting all 3!!!   Good Luck 
"A lazy man works twice as hard"

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »
well i found an area that has a large amount of deer, and about 6 bucks, but theres 2 spikes, 2 1x2, and a small barely 2x2, and a ok size 2x2 with little poker eye guards and im just wanting to know if there are so many does and so many little bucks in an area, where are the big boys.....or WHERE IS THE BIGBBOY.if you know what i mean....

i have been hunting for a long time, and seeing animals like this repeatedly tells me that there has to be a large dominant buck in the area.....is he completely nocturnal, maybe? but i have spent alot of time in this one clear cut and havent seen anything big yet.....not even anything heavily massive.......

but ill hunt general Whitetail season and if i dont get a large WT, then ill wait for november to see if i can get the apapa to come out when he is all hipped up and stupid....
would be nice to put a big BT on the wall next to last years WT.....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]