collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What about this idea  (Read 16021 times)

Offline ducklab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
What about this idea
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
I was thinking, what if we have a thread that is for, farmers/private land owners, who need to have waterfowl or other game species out of their fields. I realize this might not be an easy thing to do but might be worth a try?

We could post fliers at the local CO-OPS and grain stores advertising that there is a forum of local, safe, ethical hunters (Washington hunters forum members) that might be willing to help their situation. They would get replies from hunters in a professional manner and they could choose from the willing participants. Maybe by personal interview or phone conversation.

Just thinking maybe it would be a easier, better, and faster way to get access to people who maybe don’t know where to find people to help get wildlife out of their crops or don’t get people knocking on their door to hunt.

I am just throwing this out there, maybe its been tried and failed.

Offline mrmoskillz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: What about this idea
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »
Great idea! Sign my Son and I up we would love to help a farmer with those pesky birds

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
This is a joke I hope or you think there are a lot of dumb farmers out there.  If they want to get rid of those pesky waterfowl/deer/elk they can just charge you a $100 a day trespass fee and let you have at them.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline ducklab

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Would a small fee sometimes be that bad? With most of the door knocking permission I have done there was always some sort of give and take, whether it was work, fish, meat, etc. I was just thinking that is could open up more areas. To more hunters.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
I have seen skagit farmers wave down hunters to come get the geese off their land

Offline ducklab

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
Thats more like what im talking about, just trying to get the connections from farmers to the hunters.

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
I have seen skagit farmers wave down hunters to come get the geese off their land

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 07:33:22 PM »
Thats more like what im talking about, just trying to get the connections from farmers to the hunters.

Usually doesn't end well in these situations!  20 + guys and the farmer walks the geese out and the hunters drop 80 + geese.  Then it makes it to the paper.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline ducklab

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
Ok was just a though. Thanks for the input guys.

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
Most the farmers with good numbers of birds are already contracted to alot of the guides in the more popular areas. Last year i went on a guided goose hunt with a buddy who was the guide, the guided trip runs $250 per person per day. They try to get 4-5 people per day per blind. Out of that $250 the owner of the guiding business gets $100, guide gets $50 and the farmer gets $100, thats right $100 per hunter each day they use the property! Good enough reason to say no to hunters...

Offline quackattack90

• Tracker
  • Groups: Washing Waterfowl Assoc.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
 :yeah:  I know in my area the majority of the farmers are in for the money and if they have high numbers of birds, they also have high priced leases.  1000-1500 bucks are common lease agreements in my area.

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
Sounds great to me. I would love to get some access to private land, but I hate knocking on doors of strangers to ask. Seems a bit too much like door to door sales, which I can't stand.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:09:27 AM by Atroxus »

Offline Stick em

• Hunter
  • Fortune favors the prepared!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »
I think Ducklab has good idea. Having read about the farmers that charge to hunt I have to believe that there are some out there that wouldn't charge $$$. I have done a lot of door knocking in the past and 90% of the time I have gotten a positive response. I always offer something in exchange, meat or services of some kind. So the exchange of something should occur. That just continues a good relationship. Many times with my bow in hand, I have had traffic stop and ask me if I could come reduce the wildlife on their property. Mostly I think that people don't know whats out there or available. I am a graphic designer (9-5) and am willing to offer my service to help put a flyer together if you want to try it out. I set one up a couple years ago for bear hunting and had good luck with it. Hey, if it's legal and ethical it's worth a shot.

Offline ducklab

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
 :yeah:

Stick em thank you. I was hoping for some positive feedback. You understand my idea. We aren't looking for farms that produce thousands and thousands of birds, or ranches that have hundreds of deer, or elk.

I was looking for people who maybe have 50 acres and a couple of deer eating their personal strawberry crop, or someone with 30 acres and one pack of coyotes always eating there rabbits, or a wheat farmer with a million prarie rats that have invaded his fields. or what ever else. More of short term hunting not necessarily leases, and contracts, and thousand acre farms.

There are people out there with smaller issues that need someone to help them with. I am targeting people a guide wouldn't necessarily seek out, an area that cant produce super large numbers for their clients. An area for people on WHF that would come for one weekend or a few days and take care of one deer, a flock of 20 geese, a couple of coyotes.

I think this can work. I think it will have a positive response.

Offline Skagit_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 06:31:13 AM »

Usually doesn't end well in these situations!  20 + guys and the farmer walks the geese out and the hunters drop 80 + geese.  Then it makes it to the paper.

true.
it ends up as a black eye for the hunting public.
They have tried it a few times on Fir Island... It ends up like the elk slaughter on hwy 20... Bad bad ideA
The rules on Fir island is to stop these group slaughter fests.
Maybe it would work on the less populated east side of the state.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:42:46 AM by Skagit_Hunter »
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Along with black hoodies

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 08:09:01 AM »
Ok was just a though. Thanks for the input guys.

The WDFW already has a program in place for farmers to contact them with problem fields/flocks. They currently have a late MH season and farmers make use of this to keep their fields free of geese in the late part of the winter roosting areas until they start to fly north after the regular hunting season. During the regular season, at least down here in SW WA, there are few farmers who aren't already covering this and are making money by charging hunters to hunt their fields as private leases.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 08:50:03 AM »

true.
They have tried it a few times on Fir Island... It ends up like the elk slaughter on hwy 20... Bad bad ideA

The WDFW already has a program in place for farmers to contact them with problem fields/flocks. They currently have a late MH season and farmers make use of this to keep their fields free of geese in the late part of the winter roosting areas until they start to fly north after the regular hunting season. During the regular season, at least down here in SW WA, there are few farmers who aren't already covering this and are making money by charging hunters to hunt their fields as private leases.

I have a problem with this logic. First the obvious is that it limits these opportunities to Master Hunters. Second is that having Master Hunters in no way assures good PR. If I recall correctly that Skagit fiasco with the elk was a Master Hunter depredation hunt.

Personally I don't have a problem with Master Hunter's being given hunt incentives for participation in the MH program. I don't think that they should be the ONLY ones eligible for these depredation hunts though. If it were up to me master hunters would be given bonus points each year that they maintain the requirements of the program to use towards the hunts of their choice; and depredation hunts would be open to anyone with a hunting license. I would have depredation permits going out to people by region in first come first served basis. For example all hunters living in a given GMU would be eligible for depredation hunts in their own GMU only. If a certain GMU had more permits than hunters applying then they could be given to hunters in neighboring GMUS closest first.

I doubt that will ever happen though, so if someone can help facilitate connecting hunters like myself with smaller land owners to deal with small depredation issues I am all for it.  :twocents:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »

true.

I have a problem with this logic. First the obvious is that it limits these opportunities to Master Hunters. Second is that having Master Hunters in no way assures good PR. If I recall correctly that Skagit fiasco with the elk was a Master Hunter depredation hunt.

Personally I don't have a problem with Master Hunter's being given hunt incentives for participation in the MH program. I don't think that they should be the ONLY ones eligible for these depredation hunts though. If it were up to me master hunters would be given bonus points each year that they maintain the requirements of the program to use towards the hunts of their choice; and depredation hunts would be open to anyone with a hunting license. I would have depredation permits going out to people by region in first come first served basis. For example all hunters living in a given GMU would be eligible for depredation hunts in their own GMU only. If a certain GMU had more permits than hunters applying then they could be given to hunters in neighboring GMUS closest first.

I doubt that will ever happen though, so if someone can help facilitate connecting hunters like myself with smaller land owners to deal with small depredation issues I am all for it.  :twocents:

I'm just outlining the system as it exists. Don't shoot the messenger. Private land owners are making money on leases during the regular season, so they don't need to be hooked up with hunters.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Skagit_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »

true.

It wasn't master hunters with the elk. It was any hickerbilly with a bow. and launching 45 lb draws at 60 yrds. IT WAS UGLY. AND PUT A BAD MARK ON US REAL ARCHERY GUYS FOREVER.
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Along with black hoodies

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
 :yike: :bdid: No I do not think we need to add to the wound of telling landowners we are willing pay them for hunting rights ... :bdid: Now as far as the skagit hunt goes ...if they just would of let us bowhunters alone and left the season the way it was I do not think this would of ever happened ...( SOME ) of these muzzy guys who F---- It up for me and every other bowhunter who has hunted this unit went and bought a bow and thought they were bowhunters now ! bowhunters are in a class all by themselves . Most serious bowhunters have ethics  - they have the ability to get close to game and know their limitations on range .This unit needs to go back to the bowhunters & Muzzy hunters  by the way of permits only ... Since it is mostly Private land their should be opportunity for Muzzy and bowhunters ...Permits would eliminate a free for all on the herd  :twocents:

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »
If I am mistaken about it being master hunters in Skagit, I apologize. I could have sworn I read something about it being a damage hunt though, which as far as I know only master hunters are allowed to participate in. Or did I misunderstand how damage hunts work?  :dunno:

I think the farmers charging for access could be addressed as well. Personally I think that farmers faced with depredation should be given a choice by WDFW.

Option 1 get reimbursed for damage by WDFW but let WDFW sell permits to help recoup some of the cost and promise access to those permit holders.(Permit holders would still be liable for any damages they cause during the course of a hunt)

Option 2 the farmer declines access, gets no re-imbursement and deals with it on their own by selling hunting access, but no special permits are allocated for them and hunters would have to have a valid permit and would have to hunt according to the same rules as anyone else by GMU/Season/Weapon etc.  :twocents:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:47:26 AM by Atroxus »

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »

true.

We've been around and around on this. The Skagit fiasco had nothing to do with Master Hunters and everything to do with piss poor planning by the DFW and the hunt coordinator. Yes, it was bad PR for the MH program, but it wasn't caused by the MHs themselves.

Secondly, whether or not MHs get incentives isn't up to me. As the program stands right now, the late goose season is an opportunity only offered to MHs. Not my rules. If you open it up to everyone, then it's just a longer season and the farmers start the leases again; we're back to the same scenario we have in the regular season - no free hunting on private land as a service to landowners because they sell the leases.

It has to be kept limited to a specific group of people who will represent the DFW in such a way as to keep the program popular year after year. This won't happen with the general hunting public without special training. Without a commitment to taking care of the resource and an elevated sense of ethics and sensitivity towards the needs of the landowner, we'll lose landowner participants when the idiots get to hunt and leave trash, fire towards the farmhouse, or drive across the field when they've been instructed not to. If you want others to have access to the damage hunt period, they have to do the extra work to take the MH course. Otherwise, they don't get the access and the landowner doesn't see the value.

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »

true.

We've been around and around on this. The Skagit fiasco had nothing to do with Master Hunters and everything to do with piss poor planning by the DFW and the hunt coordinator. Yes, it was bad PR for the MH program, but it wasn't caused by the MHs themselves.

Secondly, whether or not MHs get incentives isn't up to me. As the program stands right now, the late goose season is an opportunity only offered to MHs. Not my rules. If you open it up to everyone, then it's just a longer season and the farmers start the leases again; we're back to the same scenario we have in the regular season - no free hunting on private land as a service to landowners because they sell the leases.

It has to be kept limited to a specific group of people who will represent the DFW in such a way as to keep the program popular year after year. This won't happen with the general hunting public without special training. Without a commitment to taking care of the resource and an elevated sense of ethics and sensitivity towards the needs of the landowner, we'll lose landowner participants when the idiots get to hunt and leave trash, fire towards the farmhouse, or drive across the field when they've been instructed not to. If you want others to have access to the damage hunt period, they have to do the extra work to take the MH course. Otherwise, they don't get the access and the landowner doesn't see the value.

I know it isn't up to you, and I wasn't blaming you or even other master hunters. I just think that the system as it is now is broken and needs some fixing.

Offline ducklab

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
I thank you for all of your input, however I think we are getting off track and that is my fault for the way I was working my origional post. I have made a list here.  I feel like the idea proposed will not have these issues previously discussed (slaughter and leases)
1.   I am trying to reach smaller farmers issues. Not leases
3.   These hunts will be short duration, One flock, one deer, One coyote, in one to two days. Not season long.
4.    There will not be more than One hunter per situation. This will not allow slaughter and not allow multiple hunters to access
5.   This will be during the regular season
6.   The landowner will choose the applicant
7.   It is essentially door knocking and with the internet but the farmers come to us
I realize that there is a MH program that does similar things as to what I’m proposing as to problem animals. This is not the same as MH.
I can understand that not all hunters are as safe as we can hope for. This is an issue that needs to be discussed before something like this can occur. I believe that the screening that the landowner will do will hopefully alleviate this problem.

From the previous posts I don’t think we are ready for this to happen. Thank You all for the input. I will keep this idea in my head and work on it some more and maybe propose it again when the time is right.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:25:48 AM by ducklab »

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
I thank you for all of your input, however I think we are getting off track and that is my fault for the way I was working my origional post. I have made a list here.  I feel like the idea proposed will not have these issues previously discussed (slaughter and leases)
3.   These hunts will be short duration, One flock, one deer, One coyote, in one to two days. Not season long.
4.    There will not be more than One hunter per situation. This will not allow slaughter and not allow multiple hunters to access
7.   It is essentially door knocking and with the internet but the farmers come to us
I realize that there is a MH program that does similar things as to what I’m proposing as to problem animals. This is not the same as MH.
I can understand that not all hunters are as safe as we can hope for. This is an issue that needs to be discussed before something like this can occur. I believe that the screening that the landowner will do will hopefully alleviate this problem.

From the previous posts I don’t think we are ready for this to happen. Thank You all for the input. I will keep this idea in my head and work on it some more and maybe propose it again when the time is right.

I think that most of the concerns posted either wouldn't apply to small land owners or could be addressed. If you change your mind and decide to go forward with it let me know and if I can lend a hand I will.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »

This is already done through the DFW game management division.

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »
Just because it is done by WDFW doesn't mean there are no people who would be willing to work directly with hunters though. I have a cousin that basically does the same thing for his friends on Camano island. He connects hunters with his neighbors who want deer off their land. Sadly I can't get him to do the same for me.  :bash: I see no problem with making a more organized effort to let us little people who don't have the time, or skills to become master hunters have a shot at helping small land owners who have critters eating their rosebushes, or family pets. I am not sure why so many people are determined that it not happen.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
Just because it is done by WDFW doesn't mean there are no people who would be willing to work directly with hunters though. I have a cousin that basically does the same thing for his friends on Camano island. He connects hunters with his neighbors who want deer off their land. Sadly I can't get him to do the same for me.  :bash: I see no problem with making a more organized effort to let us little people who don't have the time, or skills to become master hunters have a shot at helping small land owners who have critters eating their rosebushes, or family pets. I am not sure why so many people are determined that it not happen.

I didn't say it couldn't happen. I just said here's already a vehicle for it. Trying to save him some time if he didn't already know what's out there is all. Everyone seems to want a fight in here lately.  :dunno:

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »

I didn't say it couldn't happen. I just said here's already a vehicle for it. Trying to save him some time if he didn't already know what's out there is all. Everyone seems to want a fight in here lately.  :dunno:

Nah, my  :bash: icon was more about my cousin refusing to hook me up with private land access like he does for his friends. I was getting the impression though that you and others were actively discouraging the OP from his idea. Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to find out why there seems to be so much opposition to what seems like a really good idea to me.

And unless I am misunderstanding, what the WDFW does is only for master hunters. Even if I had the time to volunteer the hours needed, I don't own or know how to use a bow or muzzle loader. Heck I just bought my first shotgun, and am going to go learn to shoot trap here soon. Isn't qualification with all weapon types also a requirement for MH?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:17:55 PM by Atroxus »

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
I was saying that during normal hunting seasons, the farmers who have geese have no problem finding people to help them with their animals, and for a big paycheck to boot. It's the off-season time that's the problem because then, there are no hunters available. The same is true for big game, as well. People who have private land and big game tearing it up sell leases or let relatives hunt it. During regular seasons, I think they have plenty of options for hazing and killing problem animals. It's the off-season that's the challenge.

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
I was saying that during normal hunting seasons, the farmers who have geese have no problem finding people to help them with their animals, and for a big paycheck to boot. It's the off-season time that's the problem because then, there are no hunters available. The same is true for big game, as well. People who have private land and big game tearing it up sell leases or let relatives hunt it. During regular seasons, I think they have plenty of options for hazing and killing problem animals. It's the off-season that's the challenge.

Oh....that makes more sense. I do think that there are still some people who this idea could work for though. My cousin is a perfect example. His neighbors just have a few deer that eat their flower gardens or some such thing. My cousin lines up hunters to go out and kill a deer or 2 on each property every year, apparently not enough to completely eliminate the deer problem, but enough to make the neighbors feel like it's helping and for hunters to get opportunities they might not have had otherwise. I am not saying it would be successful for more than a handful of people, but I think it might be worth the effort of giving it a go. Who knows; if we tried it, we might be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Offline Ned

• Hunter
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »
sounds like one guy here is to lazy to scout, to cheap to lease, not able to pas the MH test and is looking for a handout.

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
Re: Re: What about this idea
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »
sounds like one guy here is to lazy to scout, to cheap to lease, not able to pas the MH test and is looking for a handout.

There is a saying about people who assume. You are at least part right though. I freely admit I could not pass MH. I have never fired a muzzle loader, I shot an arrow once at a cabelas but am pretty sure the arrow was nowhere near where I was aiming.

As to the rest you have no idea what you are talking about. I was just scouting Saturday, this is only my 3rd hunting season though and I still have no idea if the areas I have been hunting/scouting are even worth the effort because I have not seen anything bigger than a chipmunk so far except in no hunting areas. Nobody here is asking for a handout. No I can't afford a lease, but it had nothing to do with being cheap. I can barely afford tags and I had to save for months to afford the shotgun I just bought. It would take me over a year to scrape up $1500 to lease land.  You may have that kind of disposable income, but not everyone does.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Offline Ned

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »

There is a saying about people who assume. You are at least part right though. I freely admit I could not pass MH. I have never fired a muzzle loader, I shot an arrow once at a cabelas but am pretty sure the arrow was nowhere near where I was aiming.

As to the rest you have no idea what you are talking about. I was just scouting Saturday, this is only my 3rd hunting season though and I still have no idea if the areas I have been hunting/scouting are even worth the effort because I have not seen anything bigger than a chipmunk so far except in no hunting areas. Nobody here is asking for a handout. No I can't afford a lease, but it had nothing to do with being cheap. I can barely afford tags and I had to save for months to afford the shotgun I just bought. It would take me over a year to scrape up $1500 to lease land.  You may have that kind of disposable income, but not everyone does.

How much did that tat on your back cast????

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 04:47:48 PM »
That tat was my wedding present from my wife when we got married; iirc it was about $400. That was also 6 years ago, before I took up hunting and I have no new ink since. But feel free to keep making judgments about strangers, you are bound to be right once in awhile.

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »
I have knocked on doors for almost 40 years now. My father did it and many of my friends do it. For the price of fuel not many willing to give access for free when others put time and energy into finding areas. I budget it into my hunting season every year. And it will keep getting more exspensive.

If I was a farmer I would not let some stranger on my land. Now you have to worry about being sued, robbed  and many people are very irresponsible and shoot lifestock. destroy or leave open fences, shoot toward occupied buildings, leave trash,  poach etc. No friggin way

Only solution is to buy  or lease your own land. Study and pass MH. It ain't that hard if you really want it. Or find an area and trade info with someone else on here to find an areayou want to hunt. Nothing good is free. Get out and put in your time and/or money.

Sounds like you want it for free like the Obama phone :chuckle:

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »
Get rid of your Droid, cell plan and buy a Trak phone. Get rid of internet and use library. get rid of cable sat TV . Easily save over a $2500 a year.

There's your hunting money.

Problem solved.

People with "no money" do not know how to budget anymore

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Atroxus, does your wife duck hunt, or are you both getting your feet wet with it  :dunno:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
I didn't read a lot of the replies in the middle, but IMO

*IF* you all connected with a farmer, and he offered his land for hunting in exchange for getting rid of "pesky birds" how long until that farmer figures he's missing out on some $$ then starts charging? 

Then leases it to a guide service?

not long imo - if you want "free hunting" then you gotta work for it and protect it  :chuckle:
but I'm not against a private property owner charging fees - I'm all about private property rights.

cooperate property rights, that is a different discussion..

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
another problem is once the farmers lands become known to the masses, he's going to be pissed as people will be coming and going and he'll loose control of his property and control of those who access it.

pretty soon you got buddies of buddies of buddies coming, and a heap of garbage and people driving over fields and

GAH!!!

thats the end of that~!

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 05:05:56 PM »
another problem is once the farmers lands become known to the masses, he's going to be pissed as people will be coming and going and he'll loose control of his property and control of those who access it.

pretty soon you got buddies of buddies of buddies coming, and a heap of garbage and people driving over fields and

GAH!!!

thats the end of that~!

I think that can be regulated. Depending on how big the place is, limit the amount of hunters. First come, first serve for whoever is on the program.

Offline Ned

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »

GAH!!!

thats the end of that~!

Exactly what would happen.
20 guys there before daylight screaming and yelling at who was there first. Fist fights, dog fights, dog crap and garbage all over the place.

People work hard to find good places to hunt so why in the heck would they want it advertised to increase their competition and ruin their whole hunting experience????

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »
Atroxus, does your wife duck hunt, or are you both getting your feet wet with it  :dunno:

Nope, my wife hates guns and has no desire to participate in hunting at all.

Before the thread veered completely offtrack, I offered the OP to lend a hand if he decides to proceed, but it looks like the negative people managed to talk him out of it. I am just gonna take the idea and run with it myself instead. Maybe it will work, maybe not, but if I fail it won't be for lack of trying. I will post a new thread in a day or two when I hammer out some of the details that are rattling around in my head.

Those who are saying that that I am lazy, or that I should have to live like a hermit in a tin shack so I can afford to "pay to play" can kiss me where the sun don't shine. IMHO Hunting shouldn't be limited just to the rich, or those who sacrifice every creature comfort to be able to afford hunt private land. Some day I will find some public land to hunt where I can be successful, but until then I am also going to try to find private land where I might have better chances at success and while I am at it see if I can help some others get access as well.

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 06:46:43 PM »

Those who are saying that that I am lazy, or that I should have to live like a hermit in a tin shack so I can afford to "pay to play" can kiss me where the sun don't shine. IMHO Hunting shouldn't be limited just to the rich, or those who sacrifice every creature comfort to be able to afford hunt private land. Some day I will find some public land to hunt where I can be successful, but until then I am also going to try to find private land where I might have better chances at success and while I am at it see if I can help some others get access as well.

You are 100% correct  :tup:

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »

GAH!!!

thats the end of that~!

Exactly what would happen.
20 guys there before daylight screaming and yelling at who was there first. Fist fights, dog fights, dog crap and garbage all over the place.

People work hard to find good places to hunt so why in the heck would they want it advertised to increase their competition and ruin their whole hunting experience????

There is 2 quality hunting places where I duck hunt. It is 1 vehicle per hunting blind. I have never seen anything like that. I definitely agree with you that that can happen, but there are ways to prevent that. It is simple. There is 1 way into the spot. the first vehicle that comes, blocks the spot. That is how the 2 places I mention work.

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »

I mistook (if that's a word  :chuckle: ) you for Rainier10  :sry: You posted right above him in another thread.

Good luck with hunting this year. Do you have dekes. We could hook up sometime if you want  :dunno:

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »

I mistook (if that's a word  :chuckle: ) you for Rainier10  :sry: You posted right above him in another thread.

Good luck with hunting this year. Do you have dekes. We could hook up sometime if you want  :dunno:

I don't have anything that could be used for bird hunting except my new shotgun and some camo duds. I would be thrilled to have a chance to hunt with you though. I don't have much money but will chip in what I can for any supplies that we would need. I'll shoot you a pm to see what we can work out.

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »
No money needed  ;)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand