collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Help on where to go hunting?  (Read 131711 times)

Offline roadhouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Need Help on where to go hunting?
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
Hello All,
I'm also brand new to the area. Not really sure where to even begin when it comes to finding a spot to hunt. The way land ownership is portioned is the most confusing part. Can I hunt on Wildlife management lands? What about USFS Lands?Mostly, not around their cabins or trailheads
I've read through the State's Land Access page online, I understand I can access those lands, and it's implied that I can hunt there (it's on the state's hunting page), but is that always true?
Where can't I hunt on state/ federal lands? State Parks, National Parks, some restrictions for National Wildlife Refuges
I'm just lost.
Thanks in advance to any reply.
Is there an area or region and/or species that you want to hunt?  It would help to narrow it down a little bit.
Anywhere, honestly. I'm near Bremerton.
And I'd like to hunt deer.
Respect the land, defend the defenseless, and don't ever spit in front of women and children.

Offline PrimusPilus

• Pilgrim
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2016, 09:31:07 AM »
Can someone suggest a few areas around Everett-Snohomish where I can train a gun dog puppy ? I plan to use a starter pistol during the training. Thanks

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
Can someone suggest a few areas around Everett-Snohomish where I can train a gun dog puppy ? I plan to use a starter pistol during the training. Thanks

Ebey Island

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/snoqualmie/Ebey%20Island/

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2016, 12:06:38 PM »
Hello All,
I'm also brand new to the area. Not really sure where to even begin when it comes to finding a spot to hunt. The way land ownership is portioned is the most confusing part. Can I hunt on Wildlife management lands? What about USFS Lands?Mostly, not around their cabins or trailheads
I've read through the State's Land Access page online, I understand I can access those lands, and it's implied that I can hunt there (it's on the state's hunting page), but is that always true?
Where can't I hunt on state/ federal lands? State Parks, National Parks, some restrictions for National Wildlife Refuges
I'm just lost.
Thanks in advance to any reply.
Is there an area or region and/or species that you want to hunt?  It would help to narrow it down a little bit.
Anywhere, honestly. I'm near Bremerton.
And I'd like to hunt deer.
For that area you could try DNR public land--Tahuya State Forest and Green Mountain http://www.dnr.wa.gov/GreenMountainTahuya or some of the closer WDFW areas http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/county/Kitsap/ (some are not hunting or in firearms restriction).
For private, near you is Olympic Resource Management lands http://www.orm.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=BAayVICbA0w%3d&tabid=95.
If you wanted to drive farther for lots of public land you could go to Olympic National Forest.  As long as you don't hunt next to parking lot trailheads or cabins, it is huntable.

Offline PrimusPilus

• Pilgrim
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »
Thank you !

Offline Coreym8565

• Tracker
  • Groups: Just a hunter
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2016, 12:28:18 PM »
Hey folks, I'm still a beginner hunter after only getting back into it 3 seasons ago. I am taking my 11 year old boy out with me this year. No matter if we get a kill the trip will be a blast, but I would like to share the experience of a harvest with my boy. Not asking for your spots cords or anything like that. Just hoping for some advice on west side black tail hunting. E-mail me if you'd like. Thank you

Offline fire4life

• Pilgrim
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2016, 12:03:57 PM »
O I guess I might have been posting in the wrong area. I am looking to go Elk hunting for the first time this year and not sure about some of the areas. I just finished up a nice Mullie hunt in eastern wa. and now looking to fill either the bear or elk or both tags. I am limited to the weekends only due to work schedule and was looking at the 460 area (rattle snake mountain) I also looked at the Mount Si area but not sure if this is free to hunt. Any information would be great if available. If there is a closer area near Snohomish county I am down for that also. More time in the field and less on traveling gives better hunting options. Thanks again everybody.

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »

Ebey Island

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/snoqualmie/Ebey%20Island/

Not sure when your planning on training.  They close this wildlife area to access during nesting season.  FYI...

Offline Coreym8565

• Tracker
  • Groups: Just a hunter
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »
Thinking of taking my son down to the packwood area.... Any advice? I'd never ask for your spot obviously. I just got back into hunting a few years back and haven't gotten much luck yet

Offline sleighryda

• Pilgrim
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »
hello all, I am new to waterfowl hunting and was looking to give it a try during these last few weeks of the season. I am in the fort lewis area and have access to a canoe. Just was wondering if anyone could spare some wisdom on areas that might be good this time of year around my location. Any help is very appreciated!

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »
Have you registered at the Sports Center on North Fort? Chambers Lake on JBLM gets a little crowded sometimes, but it's close.

Offline Flanny80

• Pilgrim
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »
My father-in-law and I are looking to go turkey hunting, but neither of us have been in washington. We were looking at going in colville, wa. I have a coworker that says its good up there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline swilliams921

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/swilliams921
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »
Just moved to Whidbey Island and plan to buy a bow soon.  Haven't hunted since 2009 and have only used rifles for deer.  Been having an itch for bowhunting for years and finally have the guts to take it up. 

For starters I plan on buying a bow and practicing as much as possible and hoping to rack up at least several hundred accurate kill shots by hunting season.  If not then I will spend the hunting season continuing to practice.

In the meantime I'm hoping I can find some suggestions on places I can start scouting in the off season.  I saw old news posts about permits to hunt NAS Whidbey.  I plan to call their environmental office to see if the land is open for general hiking.  I'm active duty stationed there so access should not be a problem if the land isn't just off limits out of season.

Does anyone have any recommendations on DNR sites close to or on Whidbey Island I can checkout?  Would prefer something within less than an hour drive so I don't have to worry about camping the night before although I'm sure my wife would love to do that just to go camping while I hunt in the mornings and evenings.  I have a pretty good truck with a very good tow rating so we can carry quite a bit of stuff with us for camping along with my hunting if we chose to do so for a weekend.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »
My father-in-law and I are looking to go turkey hunting, but neither of us have been in washington. We were looking at going in colville, wa. I have a coworker that says its good up there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

At least half the land in the Colville, Kettle falls, and Chewelah areas is public land and Stevens county has the most turkey of any county in the state. Stop at the forest service office or the DNR office in Colville and get a map so you can see what land is public and private. Stay low early in season and go higher later in season, cover ground and watch for turkey sign and you will find birds. Literally any direction from any of these towns there are birds.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline wahunter21

• Tracker
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2017, 07:35:27 PM »
Just moved to Spokane area, looking for somewhere to hunt and possibly get my first deer. I have hunted off and on for a few years with no success on deer. Haven't put in too much time though. I got a cow elk a few years back but that is the only big game animal I've harvested. Any help or tips would be appreciated!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]