collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Help on where to go hunting?  (Read 131698 times)

Offline huntingdog16

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Need Help on where to go hunting?
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
Hello I live in Skagit (407)  and have been trying to start hunting. Took my hunters ed course and passed last year but haven't been able to get out and hunt till now. If anyone could help with some direction on any public land area that hold even just one deer would be extremely helpful. Not looking for a secret spot. Just want to find a place where I can walk in and harvest a deer to feed my family. A so if anyone could give some waterfowl pointers that would be very much appreciated as well. I must ad I am 19 and since my parents don't trust me too much driving and am limited on how far I can drive. Any help is appreciated tremendously. Thank you to all and happy hunting and good luck to everyone this season!!! Oh also I am hoping to hunt archery sorry forgot about that

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »

Hello I live in Skagit (407)  and have been trying to start hunting. Took my hunters ed course and passed last year but haven't been able to get out and hunt till now. If anyone could help with some direction on any public land area that hold even just one deer would be extremely helpful. Not looking for a secret spot. Just want to find a place where I can walk in and harvest a deer to feed my family. A so if anyone could give some waterfowl pointers that would be very much appreciated as well. I must ad I am 19 and since my parents don't trust me too much driving and am limited on how far I can drive. Any help is appreciated tremendously. Thank you to all and happy hunting and good luck to everyone this season!!! Oh also I am hoping to hunt archery sorry forgot about that

I would recommend the cascades, the mount baker and Snoqualmie forests,  also I got to Tiger mountain often withy recurve, good thing about archery is you can hunt just about anywhere.

Husky Hillbilly

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2015, 07:47:59 PM »

I would recommend the cascades, the mount baker and Snoqualmie forests,  also I got to Tiger mountain often withy recurve, good thing about archery is you can hunt just about anywhere.

Husky Hillbilly

That's good advice, I've seen some nice blacktail on USFS lands in those forests. Just google the forest offices and go to one of them to get a map and ask about open access points.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »
Any help for gmu 101 would be greatly apreciated. Willing to talk elk hunting in naches area for mule deer tips in 101

pm sent
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline huntingdog16

• Hunter
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »
Thank you for the advice. Will definitely look into it  :tup: :tup:

Offline GBantle91

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2015, 07:44:30 PM »
Hey everyone i'm hoping someone can help me out with bear in GMU448. I went out there on monday and hiked around Spada lake but didn't run into any. This is my first year hunting bear and i'm trying out the distressed rabbit calls, does anyone have any advice? Thanks and good hunting!

Offline ELK SHOT

• Elkshot
  • Tracker
  • 4x5 last year
  • Groups: none
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
Hey everyone, I got drawn for a early Bull tag for the white river unit modern rifle Sept. 28 Oct 2 anyone have any suggestions on were to go besides Hancock / Muck. property. any forest service rds. to go up or anything  thanks Elkshot
Just a hunter in the woods

Offline Cwyatt4826

• Pilgrim
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2015, 08:56:13 PM »

Hello huntingdog16 and welcome to Washington. I live just south you and have been bird hunting in GMU 407 but no deer yet. If you would like to get out and hunt some bird or want a Blacktail partner let me know.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »
Hey everyone i'm hoping someone can help me out with bear in GMU448. I went out there on monday and hiked around Spada lake but didn't run into any. This is my first year hunting bear and i'm trying out the distressed rabbit calls, does anyone have any advice? Thanks and good hunting!

I don't know that unit but if I was scouting it I would look for berries, blackberries, huckleberries, whatever ripe berries I could find, the berries need to be ripe or bear won't eat them, and then I would look for bear sign, when I found bear sign that's where I would hunt. Hope that helps!

Hey everyone, I got drawn for a early Bull tag for the white river unit modern rifle Sept. 28 Oct 2 anyone have any suggestions on were to go besides Hancock / Muck. property. any forest service rds. to go up or anything  thanks Elkshot

I don't know this unit either but it's easy to find elk. Get a map for that area from your nearest Washington DNR office, look for the pieces of colored property on the map, that will be public land, also you should be able to check at the county assessors office for their website that shows property ownership to find out which timber companies own property. Once you know where you can hunt you can scout the area and watch for elk tracks on trails, in clearcuts, or on banks of roads. Once you find fresh tracks you know where to look for the elk.

Offline topherhunt88

• Pilgrim
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2015, 06:13:14 PM »
I could def use some help in the 124 area! I am pretty new to hunting in general and went out to some land owned by the paper company out here. I saw a ton of beds and poop but not one buck. I am planning on going to the same area this year but its for sure a well known area so I'm trying to figure out other areas to hunt in the area. Not looking to steal someones sweet spot just for other public land or land owners that will allow people to hunt on their property. I specifically chose this GMU due to it being a "any buck" area. I'm planning to switch to archery next year as well. Not picky just looking to get the chance to get into some deer this year and put some meat in the freezer. Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks all!   

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2015, 06:28:09 PM »
I could def use some help in the 124 area! I am pretty new to hunting in general and went out to some land owned by the paper company out here. I saw a ton of beds and poop but not one buck. I am planning on going to the same area this year but its for sure a well known area so I'm trying to figure out other areas to hunt in the area. Not looking to steal someones sweet spot just for other public land or land owners that will allow people to hunt on their property. I specifically chose this GMU due to it being a "any buck" area. I'm planning to switch to archery next year as well. Not picky just looking to get the chance to get into some deer this year and put some meat in the freezer. Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks all!

Get a State DNR map, it shows all the public land as colored. Private land is white. There is a lot of private land in that unit, so hunt the sections of public and the paper company land. The best thing would be to get out and do some door knocking, explain that its your first year hunting and you are hoping a landowner can help you out by allowing you to hunt.

Some of the best bucks are right on the edge of the suberbs!

Offline topherhunt88

• Pilgrim
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2015, 06:41:59 PM »

Thanks all!

Get a State DNR map, it shows all the public land as colored. Private land is white. There is a lot of private land in that unit, so hunt the sections of public and the paper company land. The best thing would be to get out and do some door knocking, explain that its your first year hunting and you are hoping a landowner can help you out by allowing you to hunt.

Some of the best bucks are right on the edge of the suberbs!

Thanks for the info will do!

Offline Broadhead1188

• Pilgrim
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2015, 07:20:10 PM »
Anybody have an idea of where to go deer (Blacktail) hunting in western Washington during late archery. It's my first year archery and only got to go twice during the early season.

Offline biglakebubba

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: none
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2015, 01:41:35 PM »
I moved here a year ago to escape bankruptcy in an economically hostile environment. Newcomers were always met with kindness, dignity and a handshake by my family. Whenever anyone needed help or advice, I was there, no bull. If someone had a 1,500 lb. moose down across a muskeg, all they had to do was to come get me. Karma can be your friend our bite you in the ass. It is your choice.
My idea was to join this forum to meet some good Washingtonians, help and get help settling in. My time has been spent learning fishing on my own and joining local groups such as the Boys and Girls club, etc. Now, I find hunting a maze.
Obviously, this planet is occupied by a bunch of humans. some not so much. With that said, I am glad to see administrators are trying to keep a hand on improper behavior. However, still now knowing what advice is true, I am not going to waste my time hunting for imaginary buddies in the posts of this forum. Disappointing to see that sportsmen act this way.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »
Anybody have an idea of where to go deer (Blacktail) hunting in western Washington during late archery. It's my first year archery and only got to go twice during the early season.

I'm not a lot of help on the wetside. But if I wanted to know where to go I would look at harvest stats on the WDFW website and then I would contact the regional office for the unit with the highest harvest and ask the bio where to hunt. Biologists are usually very helpful.

Harvest Reports: http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/
Regional Offices: http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/contact/

Good luck hunting!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]