collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Help on where to go hunting?  (Read 131708 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Need Help on where to go hunting?
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:11:01 PM »
Feel free to ask for help on where to go hunting in this topic or post your own topic asking for help in this board.  :hello:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline nwpentax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Need Help on where to go hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 01:54:00 AM »
Can someone explain to me what exactly the "deer areas" are?  Is it a WDFW managed population of deer in that area or???  What differentiates a deer area from a GMU?   :dunno:

Also, I am looking to hunt general season deer with modern rifle.  I would like to get away from all the folks in the tree farms of Western Washington and so I am looking at some GMUs that mainly contain DNR land.  I am just wondering if my chances would be greatly increased if I hunt in a "deer area".  Lastly, can anyone give me an inclination as to whether I am going to run into just as many people in areas like GMU 653, 346, & 356 as I would in say... Vail, Snoqualmie, or Kapowsin tree farms?

If I did decide to hunt a tree farm, would it be worth the cost to pay for one of the Hancock farms over the free Vail farm?

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!  It is my first year hunting in western WA and I am still trying to get my bearings straight.  Went out for high buck hunt in alpine lakes area but came up empty handed.  Got me in good shape though!!

Feel free to PM or email me if you do not wish to divulge "top secret" info.   :chuckle:

Offline Swannytheswan

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Team Predator Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 03:45:23 AM »
I am going hunting with a Retired Army ranger who is now disabled due to jumping out of to many airplanes. I have been trying to find a good place to take him bear hunting he can walk as long as it is not to much up and down and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions I realize it is a long shot as most bear are not to close to roads but if I could find one that isn't to far or not too steep he may be able to do it.
Swanny

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 05:21:56 AM »
There has to be some spots out of Carnation you could take him or go up Stampede pass
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Swannytheswan

• Longhunter
  • Team Predator Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:25:16 AM »
I was just looking at stampede...
Swanny

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:51:33 AM »
Good Idea Dale! and please everyone remember this is no place for the infamous c-post!  :bdid: good luck everyone  :hello:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline koolminx

• Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.kitchens.5
    • Classy K Auto
  • Groups: NAHC NAFC
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
NO clue what a "C" post is but I'm taking my Dad hunting for his last hunt ever, he's 72 and unable to get around more than 10 or 20 feet at a time, so I'm a pusher and he's a get out of the truck, walk 10 feet and sit and wait'er :)

There are 6 of us (two being helpers that never been before) and 4 of us that haven't hunted together in WA since about 1980...
So we need help :)

Going to try the FR 2510 off the  first couple miles of the Hamma Hamma, and hope to hell that the two areas we found near the road, that are the only areas of the 105 miles of roads I drove last week between the Hamma and the Duckabush that are hospitable to my dad's condition to hunt (we didn't follow the powerline road though).

I can only pray that all the guy's that were hunting in the east and can't due to the fires don't come to this area for the first couple day's of open Rifle....

I wend there during Muzzle loader season (early last week) and did NOT see one hunter the entire 105 miles, no vehicles and only 2 deer.   

Should I assume that there aren't any deer there and this is going to be a fruitless hunt?

I look forward to any assistance anyone can give in this regard.  If it helps, my Dad might be able to get his disabled endorsement before the hunt which I hear unlocks doors and possibilities otherwise blocked.

Warm Regards,

Gary (koolminx)
Those who assume that I assume are going to eventually approach the conclusive event where their conclusion will be that I'm not assuming anything!

Offline koolminx

• Tracker
    • Classy K Auto
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
I do still need advice so anyone willing to lend some PM me or e-mail me.

I also read that since the gates have been opened at area 621 by Duck and Hamma for a long time that the deer there simply skedaddled and there aren't any left to hunt except up in the high mountains where my Pop's cant get to or walk in.

Any help here?
Those who assume that I assume are going to eventually approach the conclusive event where their conclusion will be that I'm not assuming anything!

Offline arees

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, SCI, NRA
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »
My son passed hunters ed this year and I am going to take him up for one of the any deer youth hunts in the NE.  It is not an area that I normally hunt, but that is where they put all the youth deer hunts.  With all the news of road and land closures I'm not sure what is open up there.  Any pointers on what is open that is likely to have a chance to see deer would be appreciated.
We need a crusade for the children, a children's crusade.

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 03:33:36 PM »
My son passed hunters ed this year and I am going to take him up for one of the any deer youth hunts in the NE.  It is not an area that I normally hunt, but that is where they put all the youth deer hunts.  With all the news of road and land closures I'm not sure what is open up there.  Any pointers on what is open that is likely to have a chance to see deer would be appreciated.

Don't worry. There is A LOT of public land that he can go get a deer  :tup: As to a pointer, I hunt private land there so.........  :chuckle:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 03:57:59 PM »
In a nutshell....c-post is a turn off in an area of Snohomish county. It leads to decent sized area that has provided a few critters over the years. It was mentioned once and turned into a joke we would make with new folks asking where to go. This was of course prior to this thread being created to try and help with that very thing. Many, some, a few.....whatever....have felt that the joke was taken to far. We have begun going much easier on folks and have tried to not be jerks. Here is an example:

Hey...first time posting and want to kill elephant...where should I go.

Me....C-post.....lots of elephants and you can shoot as many as you want.

Other......oh.....and bears and aligators.....

Usually....ok just about every time.....the thread took on a life of its own and nobody got any help at all.

Now...we have somewhat retired the gag and even have this great thread for a dedicated spot to try and get some help.

So, yes it exists, yes if you live in Snohomish County folks could give you some advice about hunting there.

By the way.....welcome and good luck this season.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »
While I'm here I'll add another request.

If anyone has any farmland or recommendation where a guy could go for a walk with his 6 year old son and maybe shoot a bunny please feel free to send me a pm. I'm in Snohomish County.

Thanks.

Offline koolminx

• Tracker
    • Classy K Auto
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
LMAO!  I love it :) :)

Snohomish is way up north isn't it?  We're going west to the north shore of the lower hood canal.  Lot's of woods, but then I think of my pop's being 72 and having COPD and asthma adn he can't walk but a max of 100 feet without having a 20 minute break or a nap.

Just got word form him that his Doctors are off work until Tuesday and they're not going to touch his Disability paperwork for hunting until then so we're kind of screwed on that front also.  There are some areas local to us here on Port Orchard that are handicapped accessible where he can go, but we won't have access I reckon.

Gary

P.S.  Waterhunter, I got 2 acres and about 9 rabbits runnin around on it.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:34:47 AM »
Can someone explain to me what exactly the "deer areas" are?  Is it a WDFW managed population of deer in that area or???  What differentiates a deer area from a GMU?   :dunno:

Also, I am looking to hunt general season deer with modern rifle.  I would like to get away from all the folks in the tree farms of Western Washington and so I am looking at some GMUs that mainly contain DNR land.  I am just wondering if my chances would be greatly increased if I hunt in a "deer area".  Lastly, can anyone give me an inclination as to whether I am going to run into just as many people in areas like GMU 653, 346, & 356 as I would in say... Vail, Snoqualmie, or Kapowsin tree farms?

If I did decide to hunt a tree farm, would it be worth the cost to pay for one of the Hancock farms over the free Vail farm?

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!  It is my first year hunting in western WA and I am still trying to get my bearings straight.  Went out for high buck hunt in alpine lakes area but came up empty handed.  Got me in good shape though!!

Feel free to PM or email me if you do not wish to divulge "top secret" info.   :chuckle:

The way I understand it deer areas are usually different boundaries and often smaller in size than a GMU, the reason for the deer areas is to allow hunting during a special season within a specific area that has different boundaries than a GMU.

I don't know those GMU's so someone else will have to offer help with that.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 06:42:08 AM »
Good Idea Dale! and please everyone remember this is no place for the infamous c-post!  :bdid: good luck everyone  :hello:

Any remarks trying to send someone to any imaginary place (snipe hunt or C-Post) will be deleted from this board, this board is meant to help hunters.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:44:34 AM by bearpaw »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]