collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Help on where to go hunting?  (Read 131718 times)

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Re: Need Help on where to go hunting?
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2014, 06:47:57 AM »
hello to all. this site is the greatest thing i have found in a hot minute. to start off with, I have had my hunters license for 2 and a half years and this season will be the first time I will be here to actually be able to hunt. I am aiming for archery this year in GMU 627, 633, or 624 but i will also attempt a modern firearm season if i do not succeed. in all honesty the only skills i have in regards to hunting is the ability to shoot. i have field dressed a goat before (yes i know its not a deer... lol) so i know i am not uncomfortable with the blood or the smell. i am not here to ask for you to hold my hand through the process (would be nice though. lol just kidding) or for you to show me your secret spot that you've been scouting all year, but i am asking for the general information that the hunters course doesn't provide. all in all, i am just really hoping for is someone to say, hey, this is where most people hunt in this area just park your truck here and good luck, don't get lost or yes its alright to hunt in this area or hey, you might want to pack this at a bare minimum if you are gonna try this. anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this (if you get to this point atleast). hope you have a nice day.
Welcome to the site.  There are loads of information here.  First thing to know if you have an archery tag and don't have a multiseason tag you are tied to only hunting archery season and that is it.  You will not be able to hunt modern firearm because you can only get one tag for the year and you have to choose archery, muzzle loader or modern firearm.  For archery you have to the 26th of this month for deer and then we have a late season from Nov. 26-Dec.31 for your GMU's you stated.  Now if you going to elk you got this weekend for those GMU's if you have an archery tag for that also.  I don't know a lot about the area other then there is state DNR land in there.  Good luck
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Still Learning

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, GHSC
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »
I need help on where to go hunting.

I am looking for someone to point me towards a unit or two in the South Sound/Olympic peninsula area that has elk AND public access for West side MF elk.  If you would be willing to let me join you, that would be great, but some general directions is all I need.  I've hunted elk for years, just not in WA, and not for a decade, so I am trying to get started here.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2014, 06:06:55 AM »
I am a 68 year old bowhunter living in Deer Park. I moved to WA 5 years ago and have yet to kill a whitetail.  I don't have anyone here to hunt with, all my friends are out of state.  You must meet other hunters in similar situations, that would like to hunt with you, that are looking for a partner.  I am on a fixed income, but would like to schedule a 5 day unguided archery hunt for next year, or one of your specials. If you have other prospective clients looking for same/similar near to my area we could apply together, share costs, etc.

I know you're busy, but when you have an opportunity to reply it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I'm sorry I missed your post until now. I can work out a hunt you can afford, send me a pm or call me 208-852-6494.

Well this site seems to have a ton of good info, I'm brand new to hunting and I plan on heading over to 621 for modern deer regular and late season. I'm somewhat familiar with the lilliwaup hoodsport area and have property on a small lake in that area.  Just looking for any advice for that area.  Not looking for your honey hole or secret spots just some good areas to scout since 621 is rather large. Like I said this is my first hunting experience and I'll take any help I can get!  Feel free to send a message if you'd like.

Thanks! 

hello to all. this site is the greatest thing i have found in a hot minute. to start off with, I have had my hunters license for 2 and a half years and this season will be the first time I will be here to actually be able to hunt. I am aiming for archery this year in GMU 627, 633, or 624 but i will also attempt a modern firearm season if i do not succeed. in all honesty the only skills i have in regards to hunting is the ability to shoot. i have field dressed a goat before (yes i know its not a deer... lol) so i know i am not uncomfortable with the blood or the smell. i am not here to ask for you to hold my hand through the process (would be nice though. lol just kidding) or for you to show me your secret spot that you've been scouting all year, but i am asking for the general information that the hunters course doesn't provide. all in all, i am just really hoping for is someone to say, hey, this is where most people hunt in this area just park your truck here and good luck, don't get lost or yes its alright to hunt in this area or hey, you might want to pack this at a bare minimum if you are gonna try this. anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this (if you get to this point atleast). hope you have a nice day.

I don't know those units, but you might try the OnXMaps for GPS (formerly Hunting GPS Maps). Their software shows ownership of land and can really help you locate small parcels of state or other public land, you can even try contacting landowners noted on the software to get permission to hunt. GOOD LUCK!

Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Joe13

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NWFA
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2014, 08:25:15 AM »
Looking for good rabbit hunting in SW WA.

I've been to shilopoo a half dozen times and not seen any signs.   Also spent some time on larch but I've found few fields.

I have shotguns and .22's so just about anywhere that allows shooting I should be able to hunt in comfortably.

Thanks!

Offline MRT

• Pilgrim
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »
Hi, I live near Bellingham (GMU 407) and I really want to hunt a deer with modern firearm next month.  I've purchased some maps and have been doing as much of internet research as I can but I'm still bit confused to where I can go.  There are so many different land owners (private, DNR, State, National forest...)  I'm used to hunting in SE Alaska where you just get out of the city limit and everything was ok to hunt on.  I'm looking for someone's secret spot.  I just want someone to point me to a general area that is open to public.  Any help I can get would be much appreciated.  Also, I am looking for a hunting partner because none of my friends here hunts. 

Thank you.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2014, 09:57:56 AM »
Hi, I live near Bellingham (GMU 407) and I really want to hunt a deer with modern firearm next month.  I've purchased some maps and have been doing as much of internet research as I can but I'm still bit confused to where I can go.  There are so many different land owners (private, DNR, State, National forest...)  I'm used to hunting in SE Alaska where you just get out of the city limit and everything was ok to hunt on.  I'm looking for someone's secret spot.  I just want someone to point me to a general area that is open to public.  Any help I can get would be much appreciated.  Also, I am looking for a hunting partner because none of my friends here hunts. 

Thank you.

PM on its way

Offline JackThompson

• Groups: NRA
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »
Hey guys. So happy a forum like this exists!

My two sons (13 and 16) just completed their hunter safety course and I want to take them Mule or White tail hunting this year since there's more likelihood of actually GETTING a deer than with the Blacktail we have in my area.

This would mean going to Eastern Washington where I've never hunted.

I'd like to take a tent and camp with the boys for a few days as well.

Someone told me it's almost all private land in Eastern Washington. That would make camping impossible.

Where can I take them that we can camp and hunt for Mules (Preferred) or Whitetail?

If not, I'm thinking about taking them to Rose Valley up by Cougar, Wa. Last time I hunted there you could drive up the logging roads, find a clear spot and pitch a tent. (20 years ago)... can you still do that today?
Thanks!
Jack Thompson

Offline nickp90

• Pilgrim
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2014, 05:16:52 PM »
hey there my name is nick I am 23. This is my first year ever hunting I was never around hunting growing up there for I have no clue what I'mreally doing I've read a ton of stuff online and have a lot of gear but anytime my gf and I go out we never see what we r going for. I am in Spokane and This year we have traveled up the 395 to chewella and have gone on both side from GMU 121 and 117 and up the 20 to ione under Sullivan lake and some others. In search of bear and dear. At this point I feel lost and would love if someone could take me out or send me in a direction of some hotter spots then where ive been. I can give more in detail on where i was if you write me. please please help

Offline Brown.243

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2014, 10:02:50 PM »
We just went up to the NE corner of GMU 621 last weekend. By Discovery Bay, Big Skidder Hill, right off of Snow Creek Road. We were up at about 2000' (COLD) but we saw tracks, rubs and scat. Plenty of recent clear-cuts, all on DNR and Forest Service land. We didn't see any deer in the two days we were there, but met one hunter who's partner got a buck in the middle of the day.  Hope this helps.

Offline Sprintin

• Pilgrim
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »
What an awesome idea this post is.

First off, I appreciate all the help you peeps are willing to give nOObs who truly want to learn how to do this.

This leads to my question.  I recently moved to Eatonville and I read a lot about the different hunting that goes on down here.  I've hunted (mostly pheasant/duck) in the past, but it's been 15 years since either.

There is a place called Pack Forest about 3 minutes from where I live.  What I'm looking for is a good place to get out and walk around with a 12 and (maybe) an 8 year old.  It certainly doesn't have to be chalk full of anything, but it would be nice to get of a shot or two while hiking.  I'm having a hard time finding definitive information on where this could be done.  I'm obviously not looking for pheasant, but having an opportunity a grouse or two would be perfect.

Any suggestions/advice/information would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers!

Offline Forrestrover.02

• Hunter
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560513732
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »
Sprintin, Pack Forest should be good. I've never hunted there, though. Elbe Hills State Forest is down there. Lots of national forest around there. Definitely grouse around there. Good luck!

Offline Romulous

• Hunter
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »
Anyone point me in a direction to look for bars in the Lincoln 501 unit???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mykl05

• Pilgrim
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2015, 04:46:40 PM »
I have on opportunity to purchase a hunting lease in the 615 GMU on the south side of 101 or I can go on the north side in GMU 612. do either of these units have good elk?

Offline buckandbullminingco

• Tracker
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
Any help for gmu 101 would be greatly apreciated. Willing to talk elk hunting in naches area for mule deer tips in 101

Offline aalucker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »
I'm looking for any ideas of where to go look for elk on the west side.  I've been scouting GMU560 and hunted there last year but have not really been seeing much of anything. 

If you could point me in the right direction that would give me a good start.
 :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw