collapse

Author Topic: Need Help on where to go hunting?  (Read 43555 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Need Help on where to go hunting?
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »
Well generally the further north and further east you can go the better.  But.....there are monsters in between.    In years past the smackout pack was working the best moose country pretty hard.   I’m not up on how the culling has been going.   With only 3 of you, there’s a lot of moose country full of moose.    What a great tag.   Avoid private property, and keep in touch with all the whitetail hunters.  They tend to see plenty.    Strategy’s change in November a bit but don’t give up on calling.   They still respond quite well right up until their antlers start dropping, around thanksgiving.
That last part is really important.  Shoot one before Thanksgiving.  You are playing Russian Roulette after that.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline ramosv24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »
Hey all,
I'm a new hunter (completed hunters ed in Summer 2016), and I'm looking for a spot to deer hunt with my brother on Orcas island for late season. My brother is a fairly new hunter (this is his 3rd deer season) and the only place we've been going is Whidbey. My buddy told me to check out Orcas island but I've heard it's mostly private land and that you pretty much have to know someone who lives there in order to hunt. Are there any options for places for me to hunt there if I don't personally know anyone with property?
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."
-Romans 1:16

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
Hey all,
I'm a new hunter (completed hunters ed in Summer 2016), and I'm looking for a spot to deer hunt with my brother on Orcas island for late season. My brother is a fairly new hunter (this is his 3rd deer season) and the only place we've been going is Whidbey. My buddy told me to check out Orcas island but I've heard it's mostly private land and that you pretty much have to know someone who lives there in order to hunt. Are there any options for places for me to hunt there if I don't personally know anyone with property?
I don't know the islands very well but you might try the OnX hunt app. It's a map app you can try free for 5 days (it's $30 I think if you want to keep it). It will show you what land is public and what's private and who owns the private. It does a lot more than that but that should help you find nearby public land for you. In the islands I'm pretty sure Cypress Island is mostly public if you have a boat.

Offline Randysonia

• Pelvic Splitter
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
Thanks to everybody that has provided information on my Aladdin moose hunt. After 9 days of hunting I finally got a Bull on Nov. 25th.  I passed up a cow the night before because we were in a new area that was holding moose. We had a good time hunting moose and deer in the 2 weeks we were there. This state really needs to do something about the Wolfs. There were tracks and sign everywhere and hardly any moose and deer. It seems to me that the wolf is ruining hunting here in Washington State. Especially Colville! Bringing back hound hunting for cougars would help too. What has happened to this state and who is really running it?  Thanks again guys!!!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »
Well we hear your thoughts on the wolves and hound hunting. Problem is we have a bunch of tree huggers in the Seattle area that have money & influence behind them. I don't see much changing in the near future.

* Recent Topics

Prime rib prep question?? by JimmyHoffa
[Today at 02:30:02 PM]

2017 HuntWA Christmas Gift Exchange - LIST IS CLOSED by Netminder01
[Today at 02:25:51 PM]

Dealing with backyard poop by crazywednesday
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

FS: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm air pad by EscapeFrom206
[Today at 02:18:38 PM]

Bushnell Banner - DON'T DO IT!!! by CAMPMEAT
[Today at 02:05:18 PM]

Have you been ripped off by Shane Barbour? by cem3434