collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Accessing toute area?  (Read 6781 times)

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Accessing toute area?
« on: July 26, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »
After spending a few days down in the toutle area, I'am finding that the access is very limited. If any of you have hunted in this area and could share alittle info(I'am not looking for honeyholes) as far as access goes that would be great!!! I'am trying to access the northern part of the unit. I know alittle about the tree farm, I'am trying to get hunters that have actually hunted it in archery season and what the access is like! Any info would be great,thanks in advance!!

BTW, we did see a few smaller bulls in the toutle down around the cougar area. One 4x4 and one 4x5 in velvet!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Accessing toute area?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:49:41 AM »
That's a good question! Have you tried the Weyerhaeuser Access Hotline?  1-866-636-6531

From listening to the message, all I've been able to determine is that there are only a couple of ways in, and they are only open every other weekend. I don't know if they might be nice and open up more gates just for hunting season (I doubt it.) We've got cow permits for muzzleloader season, and it looks as if the gates will not be open the weekend of our hunt. So we are now thinking we will be walking in, or possibly riding mountian bikes if I decide to spend the money and buy one. All I can tell you is that the roads into the Toutle were open last weekend, but are not open this weekend. I would like to find a real live person to talk to who actually knows the scoop. You would think Weyerhaeuser would have info available on the internet, but if they do, I haven't been able to find it. Also, especially for early archery season, I wouldn't count on being able to even walk in on Weyerhaeuser ground, as it will most likely be closed due to fire danger.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:27:01 AM »
bobcat,yeah I call the access hotline all the time but it is not to clear. From what it said the 4100 line will be open this weekend and that will give alot of access. I really wish I could talk to a real person though. I did run into a logger and he gave me this phone number 360-425-2150. I have not called yet but he said that is weyerhaeuser's longview office so they might have some info.

I did see alot of cows going in down by cougar! Good luck with your tag.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 11:14:36 AM »
From what I've heard, you should be able to get in to the north part of the Toutle unit via the 4100, and it sounds to me like the 4100 is open all the time. But I do have my doubts. Back in 2002, I drew the same permit you have, and Weyerhaeuser had the gate on the 4100 locked and they had a guard sitting there 24 hours a day. They wouldn't even let me park there and walk in.  :bash:

But, I think there is some sort of agreement worked out between the DNR and Weyerhaeuser since then, to allow access to the state land behind that gate.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:04:12 PM »
bobcat,I tried accessing the 4100 road and could only access the main corridor(sp??) to the bridge and it was gated off. I called that phone number I mentioned early and they just directed me to the access hotline. This is alittle frustrating but I'am not going to give up. This is my dads tag and I want to help him get that big bull he has always wanted with a bow. He is 60(in great shape) but I don't know if he will get to pull another tag he waited 7 years for this one so any help would be great!!!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:43:33 PM »
For some reason I was thinking the 4200 rd had the access to the state land.I'll have to do some checking.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 08:38:08 AM »
bobcat,I tried accessing the 4100 road and could only access the main corridor(sp??) to the bridge and it was gated off.

The 4100 corridor is meant to get you into the state land on the north side of the South Fork. It won't get you on the other side of the South Fork. The roads that do cross the river are gated and I don't believe those gates are ever open.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 09:07:15 AM »
Thanks for all your help! I was able to get a weyerhauser tree farm map.It shows the gate's and there is alot of them. I guess the problem is when the gate is open there was a  sign saying no motorized public access. We are not opposed to biking in and have done it however, I would like to get atleast with in 8 miles of good hunting. I'am going to check out there website and see if I can find any info there. Again thanks for the help!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline jstamp

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 11:34:43 AM »
The toutle and margret areas can be very difficult to access in early archery season. They usually won't allow any public access, walk in or drive in. There is a little bit of state land on top of the toutle, and it usually holds elk, but getting there can be tough. I have had 3 friends in the last 5 years that have drawn a rifle bull tag, it's by no means a guarantee. My advice is to not pass up a decent bull, because you might not have another chance.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 08:21:08 PM »
Hello Funster. I had the Toutle elk rifle tag last year. Difficult unit to get around in when the gate's are closed. When they (Weyco) opened the gate's ,for the weekend, they opened all of them. I had hoped some would remain closed so that I could walk in for some more privacy. Outside the unit there were very few place's to camp. I did get a 4-point and am happy with it. I did learn a bit about the unit. In the next day of two when I get my map's and note's out I'll give you some more specific information.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:05:21 AM »
Thank you all for the info you gave,it really helps! We did explore the 4200 line this weekend and did see about 40 elk. We spotted a herd glassing a clear cut and got out the bikes rode about half way.Then we walked down a ditch and got with in 30 yards of a herd of 8 just laying around,eating and sleeping. It was pretty cool to hear them "talk" to each other.We watched them for a good 40 min and I got some good pics I will post later. I did see a few spikes and a small forked horn and a small 4 point. We still have alot of time to put in this unit before sept. We have never hunted here before and all the help is great,again thanks!!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 09:12:32 PM »
I just got my Toutle cow permit in the mail tonight. I came with a post card stating I will be getting maps with access points and hopefully more access during the entire week of the hunt (I have the Toutle B tag, Nov. 3-12). Hopefully the weekdays won't be needed and she'll be close to the uphill side of the road!!!
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »
My dad recieved that same note! They are looking for people to be "eyes in the woods" and are working to keep that area open this year during the hunting season. You should have a blast with that cow tag. We saw alot of cows and a few that had really good size to them. Good luck with the tag and if we see that same cow running around in the same area, I will let you know where she is. This is permit only so I'am not to worried about giving out alittle info!! Again, good luck!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline elkhuntingcouple

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 08:53:42 PM »
my husband and I hunted there 2 years ago early archery, they had people at the gates and let you in between like 7 am and 9 am, gave us a key so we could get out, and a piece of paper we had to keep posted on our dash.  You could only get to the state land, and could not access Weyerhausers land. but we found plenty of action, on the state land. we came home with a 5 x 5 nice bull, we saw lots of 4 x 4 and 5 x5 almost had a nice 6 x6 but the BIG ASS stump was in the way!  Great hunting you will have a blast. when you step off the road it may be brushy but it opens up like parks with huge path ways. Really a great hunt Have fun, we will be out on public land but have a few honey holes scoped out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]