collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Down  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Wazzu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Bear Down
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »
This is my first year bear hunting. A couple of friends and I have been prepping for this all year.

Opening day came and we headed up high into Snoqualmie Pass. I think we went a bit too high, though. Between 4 of us we didnt see any bears or any sign. I found a cool little lake that I would like to go back and flyfish, though.

I was laying around on Saturday when a coworker called to compare opening day details. He hadnt seen much either. He suggested that we go out that afternoon. He picked me up and we thought about Stossel Creek, Stampede Pass, but ultimately headed up Highway 2. I dont want to get too specific with the location, a friend of his sort of regards it as his area.

We pulled off the highway and made our way back into the woods. He was describing to me the ideal conditions, and what to look for. Not even 5 minutes into it, I pointed out several bears on the hill! He couldnt believe it, I dont think he did until he looked throught the binoculars himself. He threw the truck into park and it was a mad dash. I didnt even have my boots on. I grabbed his 7mm ( my 30-06 still doesnt have a scope) and ran into the brush.

There were a total of 3 bears up there, one was much larger than the other two, but he ducked off before I could scope him. We estimated it about a 350 yd. shot, up a steep hill. This is sort of out of my comfort range, but it was do or die time. I crouched down and popped off a shot, clean miss. The bear didnt hardly flinch. It slowly walked to the left and went behind some brush. I kept on the area and the bear came back into view. I let off another shot and the bear took off, I was sure I had hit it. I watched it go up the hill, slow down, then eventually go down behind a stump. I started to call for my buddy to get a shot at the other bear, but they soon dissapered.

The hike we were looking at was daunting, so we jumped in the truck and tried to drive around to find an easier route in, but the next clearest area was way around the backside. We went back down to the bottom of the clearing and decided to buck up and do it. It took us nearly an hour and a half to reach the stump. Only problem was there was no bear behind that stump, no blood, and no fur.... We looked further and could see a dark area where the others dissapered into, but neither of us felt up to trekking in there. After some dissapointing talk, we started to head down the hill, but broke to the left of our trail uphill.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a black mound near a stump. I looked through my binoculars but had to hike over for a closer look. Sure enough, there she was!! She had fallen between a stump and a small tree. From below you never would have seen her, from up top only her hind quarter and a paw were visible, so we were quite lucky to even find her. Didnt have her weighed, but we guessed 180-200 lbs and the guy who helped my skin her out agreed. Lots of berries inside. The long distance ultimately did make for a bad shot, I hit her in the rear right side. I should have tried to stalk in a bit closer for a better hit, but ultimately it was my first bear down.

Offline russ

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
Re: Bear Down
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »
great lookin bear! congrats!

Offline hard hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:27 PM »
Congrats on the bear. 

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:23:32 AM »
Good job! Shouldawouldacoulda, atleast you got one. Are you butchering it yourself? I found it pretty easy to do.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 04:27:47 AM »
NIce Bear, Congrats!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 05:52:21 AM »
Nice write up. Thanks.

Offline bowsandhose

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:35:26 AM »
sweet, congrats
Any animal with a bow is a trophy.               IAFF
Save a 1000 elk kill a wolf.

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 07:02:25 AM »
That's a nice looking bear, great job!

Offline Bscman

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 08:21:33 AM »
Congrats on your first bear.
Are you planning to mount it?

There were a total of 3 bears up there, one was much larger than the other two, but he ducked off before I could scope him.

Didnt have her weighed, but we guessed 180-200 lbs and the guy who helped my skin her out agreed.

It wasn't a sow with cubs then, was it?
I left it better than I found it...did you?
I hunt animals because veggies are too easy to stalk.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 11:20:12 AM »
We estimated it about a 350 yd. shot, up a steep hill. This is sort of out of my comfort range, but it was do or die time.

Congrats on the bear, but if a shot is out of your comfort zone don't take it.  There are other days, other ways to get into your comfort zone.  You were just as likely to wound this bear as harvest it.  Glad you were LUCKY enough to not end up with a wounded bear.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Wazzu

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 11:21:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments everybody:

Bscman: Planning on doing a rug. This sow was probably the smallest bear, so she was not with cubs.

Machias: Thanks, I probably should have tried to get closer, but I was caught up in a excitement/panic. Maybe saying it was out of my comfort zone was the wrong way to phrase that. It was a long shot for me, I grew up shooting on a 200 yd. range, and I was practically shaking while trying to steady my aim. I do wish I had gotten a better hit on her, though. Next time I will use a bit more patience.

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 02:57:26 AM »
Congrats on the nice bear!!!
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 05:49:38 AM »
Congrats on the bear.  I think learning from your experience, and sharing it with us, will help someone make the right decision when they are presented with a similar situation.  I appreciate your honesty.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 08:49:09 AM »
NICE!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:57:50 AM »
Right on, we all learn every time we go out and trust me when I was younger I made some shot attempts I should not have.  But I hope by you sharing your story someone will not have to experience a blood trail that does not end so happily.  Congrats again!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal