collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alkali area elk help needed?  (Read 11443 times)

Offline wannahunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Alkali area elk help needed?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 09:32:57 AM »
I agree on the difficulty of finding info on getting access to the YTC. They had a real good website last year and every thing went thru the MP's (military police). After several calls this year i found out that you have to go to the gym to take the half hour video but it's hard to find out when they are open (the MP's were open 24 hours a day). When you do get your card you can show up 2 hours before shooting time and pick any 3 area's that are open that day (you can't find that out until 4 pm the day before unlike last year were they post it about 2 weeks before) After you check in you can drive in to the area's you picked and then you have to go back and check out at the end of your day and have any game you get inspected. I guess this is typical goverment. Take an easy process and make it more dificult. :bash:

Offline wannahunt

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 05:25:37 AM »
Just in case any of you are heading for the YTC to hunt. Give yourself plenty of time to check in. The folks in charge still don't know who is suppose to do what. It took over an hour to check in yesterday morning. Anyway no elk for the freezer yet. Saw Bulls only if you can believe that (one was a huge 6 point). also lots of deer but not a single cow elk. I have never hunted when it was so hot before. I think I know what it would be like to go hunt in Africa now.

Offline General Disarray

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 09:56:10 AM »
wanahunt, if you score and need a shady place to hang and skin, I'm mere moments away in Selah.  No sense in risking losing meat in this weather.

PM me for more details
hey, where's Professor Chaos? Anyone seen him?

This post will be deleted in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Offline MTNMAN

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 11:14:34 PM »
I was drawn for deer a few years ago. I had to go to the MP shack outside of Selah at the main enrty to the TC and watch a video sign some paper work and such. The open areas vary depending on the training that is going on that time of the year. They should provide you with a map that is sectioned out and lists the open areas. You have to choose which two areas you will hunt for the day and are not allowed to roam free. DO NOT GO INTO THE CLOSED AREAS! Apache helicopters are not to taken lightly ;) You have to check in and out each day with the MP's. I believe you are allowed in one hour before dawn and must be out at the MP shack two hours after dusk. Again do not be late. I had a friend that always enjoyed scaring the crap out of hunters that did not check in on time!!  And they will send out the choppers to find you!! I believe there are only three access points for the TC, but you must still check in at the MP shack each morning you hunt so drive time needs to be considered. One is the main gate in Selah, another is north off of I-82 between Selah and E-burg and there is one on the back side close to the town of Vantage. This may have all changed since I was out there several years ago. Great hunt though!!! Saw several 4x5 deer that i passed on right off the road the first day of my deer hunt. They didnt know what a car was!! Also saw some elk on the Columbia River side of the TC.  Good luck to you!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]