collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I think I'm done deer hunting  (Read 13950 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
I think I'm done deer hunting
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:33:34 PM »
I don't get out to hunt much anymore. Maybe 2-3 days for deer and only 1-2 for elk. I went out on Sunday for a quick morning hunt at the end of Bald Hills Road since it's only 5 minutes from the house. Figured I'd be home in time to make lunch for the kids. Took my time moving through a clearcut to the tree line on the other side. Saw a sow and two cubs, so nothing to hang a tag on.

Worked my way to the tree line where I switched weapons. I carry a rifle while in the open and then switch to a handgun when I'm in the timber. Had the 338/375 rifle in the pack and a S&W 610 (10mm) in my hand as I walked through the timber. I heard about 9 shots coming from the clearcut and I sat and waited to see what was going to come running down the trail afterwards. I hear a couple animals moving down the trail so I waited. Sure enough, the first animal down the trail was a big bodied fork horn. He stood there broadside for a full 30 seconds not 25 yards away from me. I raised the revolver, pulled back the hammer, and took aim right behind the shoulder. It would have been an easy shot which I could have made at 3x that distance. I sat there for nearly 15 seconds before I eased the hammer back down and lowered the gun.

For the first time, I realized that I couldn't think of one good reason to shoot that deer. I don't need the meat. In fact my wife and daughter are both vegetarian. I don't want to have it mounted (it was a small rack anyways). It wouldn't be a difficult shot, or an interesting story. More importantly, when I saw that buck, my heart didn't speed up at all. It's like I was looking at an animal in a zoo. There was no excitement or buck fever. Nothing.

I don't have a long family tradition of hunting so it's not like I would be going against some family tradition if I quit hunting. We hunted a bit when I was younger, but my dad quit hunting about 5 years ago. Only one of my brothers hunts, but very casually. My father-in-law lives to hunt. I've been going with him for the last 10 years. My schedule has made it so we only get out together maybe one day a year. When he's out there it's obvious that hunting is in his blood. He gets worked up just seeing tracks out in the woods. Everyone I talk to gets all pumped up just seeing a buck. They get excited just hearing about an encounter like mine. I get nothing. It's the same with elk. I have a cow tag in the Ryderwood unit which I probably won't even try to fill.

Last deer I shot was about 3 years ago. I got it with a handgun so it should have been a big deal. In reality it was no more exciting than shooting rabbits. I just don't get excited about hunting any more. All I can think of is that I just need to take some time off from hunting. If hunting didn't give you any thrill or excitement, would you still do it? I just can't get over that feeling of sitting there with a decent buck in my sights while I try and convince my self that there is a good reason to shoot him.

Has anyone else run into this before? Have you ever just hit a point where you need to take a couple seasons off to regain your passion for the sport? I've always considered myself a shooter who hunts as a way to rationalize another gun. I think I may have hit the point where now I'm just a shooter and not a hunter.

Andrew

Offline Hunter mike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: I think I'm done deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »
I'm a man of many hobbies and they come and go over the years, so I get it.  I personally hunt to be in the outdoors and for the excitement of it as something relatively new to me.  I have plenty of use for the meat, so that is an added bonus.

I was a really hardcore surfer for many years and just over time, I got less and less out of that lifestyle and kind of moved on to other things.  It used to be the thing that I'd lay awake at night thinking about and really live for.  Now hunting is that thing for me.

I say if you can't get excited about getting up at 5AM and don't need the meat than life has plenty of other adventures and challenges waiting for you.  Find something that excites you and put your time and effort into that :twocents:  Hunting will still be there if you re-gain the passion for it.

No shame in hanging it up for a while and good luck to you!

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
There is nothing wrong with you I will be honest I don't get real worked up over shooting a small deer either.  I do love venison though, and I look foreword to having deer in my freezer every winter.  Maybe you should take a kid hunting with you I will tell you I get way more worked up watching my kids get their deer every year that I do getting my own.  Another thing you may consider is going archery the challenge of getting that close to an animal makes it that much more exciting.  I hunt elk with my bow, and I cannot think of a bigger rush than having a big rutting bull come running in at 20 yards.

Offline jayrod9528

• Longhunter
  • Team Maybe Next Time
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »
I would have to agree with you....you should quit hunting.  :dunno:
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline buck man

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
Put the Guns away and pick up a stick and string. I have killed bucks with every weapon except a spear, and I must say a bow and a buck and bull get my heart going every year. :tup:
If we were supposed to be vegetarian God would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!
"HOYT" why would you even consider shooting something else?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
Maybe take up bird hunting?

Lots of duck and goose hunting opportunities around here, and you get to shoot a lot more and end up with a lot less meat.

Since you said you're more of a "shooter" than a hunter, I would think bird hunting would be your thing.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
I think I'm done deer hunting
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
Sounds like it may be time for a break. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
My priorities have changed but I have never lost the passion.  I have been lucky to have figured out a way to challenge myself to keep it on fire in my heart.

Offline hillbillyhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »
Some good advice so far... I especially agree with the one about helping kids experience hunting.  For me it could be anyone close to me that wants to go on a deer hunt.  I enjoyed helping my friend and wife get their first bucks in one season, helping my neice shoot her second buck, and helping my 64 year old friend get his first buck in over 10 years.  I enjoyed these hunts just as much I did shooting shooting my biggest blacktail. 

No shame... I bet you would come back to it if you decide to quit.    :twocents:

Offline Three_Oh_Eight

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 09:03:32 PM »
For me, hunting brings me satisfaction in many different ways.  I think there is something to be said about knowing where food comes from and you lose that by going to a store where it comes in a package.  I think that hunting and growing your own food puts you in touch with what it is like to stay alive and nourished. 

Hunting also ignites that sense of competitiveness inside me.  I am competing with the animal in a game of survival and your pitting your wits against the instincts of the animal.  The drama of it gets me going in a way that nothing else does.  I've also developed my best and closest friends while hunting and its the hunt that brings us together.

I'm an unashamed rifle nut and I love putting together a rifle for a hunt.  I think of the hunt and think of what type of rifle would be ideal.  I then try and put it all together and develop a good handload.  By the time hunting season arrives, its like I've made a friend and then I get to put it all into action on a hunt.  It tests your ability to set up the right rifle and it tests your relationship with the rifle and your ability to use it.

Honestly, I also hunt because people that I don't understand ideologically usually object to it.  I hunt in defiance of people that I feel would restrict my freedoms and the freedoms of other Americans.  Its my big middle finger to them all.

If you don't have reasons that drive your will to hunt, you will probably stop hunting.  I can't say you "should" stop, but I think you eventually will. 

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »
I've always put challenges on myself when hunting, whether it be bow, pistol, muzzy, size restrictions, time....   Being able to accomplish something within those restrictions is satisfying to me.  I'm constantly trying to top my biggest buck, yet this year took a smaller Muley due to time constraints.  I would not hunt if I didn't enjoy it.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
 *tag*  8)

:o don't see threads like this every day.

Offline tony04

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 09:32:53 PM »
Maybe put down your weapon for a year or two and pick up a camera and shoot them with that  :dunno:

Offline logger

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:38:47 PM »
I have been in the same spot for a few years, being I am in the woods everyday and have shot my fair share of animals, I kinda half heartldy been hunting the last few years, till this year, my step son has just really got into hunting the last few years and has killed a few dink bucks and is ready to step it up now. So now that has kind of reenergized me and we have went back to my old okanogan hunts for big muleys and now we are getting ready for elk in the klick. he has refueld my passion and it's way more important for me to help him, but in reality he helped me.
go ahead on er.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
You know I love all types of hunting and love hunting with a handgun as well. Pick up a stick and string!!! There is nothing like bow hunting!!!
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal