collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ebey Island Duck Hunters  (Read 34643 times)

Offline BigFoot02

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • www.highlonesome-outfitters.com
Re: Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »
It's all good brother. It is good to see people so passionate about the sport.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 09:35:15 AM »
Stilly i understand what you are saying, and i personally do not hunt pheasant release sites while they are open. My point is there are ways to re-leave these issues that should be easy and cost effective but are not done. I have a friend that was shot by a pheasant hunter at the still water unit while sitting in his blind.  If you ask me it would be safer for duck hunters to be in thier blind before 8am so that the duck hunters and pheasant hunters weren't mingling.

quickest and easiest would be to edit the rule book and make a stipulation that duck hunters can't hunt a release site during pheasant season.

the next would be only allow duck hunting at established blinds. which I would be all for. that way the duck hunters blinds could be marked and easily avoided. honestly I only shoot at pheasants with sky behind them, but to think I shot over someone's head (even if I didn't see them hiding in the brush) makes me sick to my stomach  :puke:

at the leque site there are duck hunters EVERYWHERE. they stake out any puddle they can or hide in blackberries along the dike. when they are on the dike they are a good eight feet higher than everybody else in the field ( and they are hidden) this is major safety concern and it really causes a lot of missed shot opportunities which can get frustrating when your out there on a weekend with 60 of your new best friends.

another thought is established blinds on these crowded release sites would also alleviate many duck hunter vs duck hunter conflicts as well.

have a box at the parking lot with a limited amount of numbered slips that get replaced every morning... or have a daily online drawing so you know before you leave the house if you can hunt an area.
first come first serve if you run out blinds you can't hunt at the release site that day. go find some other public land to hunt or make some private connections.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »
I'm surprised that on many of these smaller sites near the metro area they have not repeated the sucess of the Ridgfeild Refuge. I know that there are ususally more people that it can handle on a weekend, but it does a great job of providing safety, AND opportunity. I have had good hunts there, and been turned away but i like the system and that location... I personally like being turned away from a quality experience instead of combat duck hunting when i have some one set up in may back pocket 40 yards away...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »
I'm surprised that on many of these smaller sites near the metro area they have not repeated the sucess of the Ridgfeild Refuge. I know that there are ususally more people that it can handle on a weekend, but it does a great job of providing safety, AND opportunity. I have had good hunts there, and been turned away but i like the system and that location... I personally like being turned away from a quality experience instead of combat duck hunting when i have some one set up in may back pocket 40 yards away...

excellent point. it would really cut out a lot of BS from all parties.

and if it were a drawing system you wouldn't have that one group of guys showing up at 2 am every saturday and sunday morning so they can dominate that one honey hole. it would give everyone a chance at a good shoot.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:09:14 AM by Stilly bay »
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
Once again no real reason to reinvent the wheel. I'm sure that the Wa waterfowl would help with the kind of work required for imporoving this kind of project...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 10:19:15 AM »
Once again no real reason to reinvent the wheel. I'm sure that the Wa waterfowl would help with the kind of work required for imporoving this kind of project...

Im sure plenty of pheasant hunters would be willing to roll up their sleeves and help this issue in becoming resolved. maybe pheasants forever could get involved?

I could only imagine the stink it would create from all the unwilling duck hunters. fact is the world has changed and the population has increased to the point of ridiculousness, we have fewer opportunities than ever on less land than ever, somethings gotta get reworked.

as a duck hunter AND a pheasant hunter who has been playing this game for most of his life; I am willing to give up more opportunities for better opportunities.

― Jim Harrison

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »
my point is is it REALLY opportunity if it is so overcrowed that no one really get good hunting in? Isn't it those great days that keep us in the sport, NOT the many days we spend trying to repeat the limit in the ist hour? If you want to hook some one a great experience will do it.  :twocents:

Confucius

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
I apprecite it. I think I actually saw you shoot your limit the other day. We got our limits too.

You must have been one of the guys that I talked to in the blind.  My dog was pissed with that 10 minute hunt; he wanted to join you guys and fetch a few ducks.

I’m glad to hear you did well after I left.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
my point is is it REALLY opportunity if it is so overcrowed that no one really get good hunting in? Isn't it those great days that keep us in the sport, NOT the many days we spend trying to repeat the limit in the ist hour? If you want to hook some one a great experience will do it.  :twocents:

I couldn't agree more.

― Jim Harrison

Offline Atroxus

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »

I couldn't agree more.

Absolutely  :yeah:. On my trip with Stilly I only got one pheasant, and a nasty tasting duck that some other hunter shot...but I am hooked on bird hunting now. Because it was a great experience. I got to spend the day looking for critters to shoot, with good company/conversation, and as a bonus I even managed to bag my first bird. :tup:

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 10:54:10 AM »

your missing my point. I don't care what came first. there are designated pheasant release sites, these are the only places you can hunt pheasants in western WA. you can duck hunt on any piece of land that is legal to hunt on, that will attract ducks. you can also duck hunt on any private land that will attract ducks if you can get permission. they don't release ducks in specific areas, all you need is water or food or both and you have a good chance at a duck if they are flying.
its few VS many.

Have you ever duck hunted? Getting permission to hunt land is NOT easy, and you almost ALWAYS have to pay a ridiculoous amount  :P It takes a lot more than just water, and food to have ducks. Sure you may shoot a pair of ducks on a random beaver pond, but that is it, and you would most likely be jump shooting (this is not done over a decoy spread).

you can put an exact number public areas to duck hunt, but when you can quantify all the  private areas to hunt ducks on the westside let me know and I will change my statement. as of now there are more than I can count. either way you can split as many hairs as you want; there are still a hell of a lot more places to hunt ducks than there are pheasant release sites over here.

also if you don't have access to a  boat and you don't have anywhere to hunt ducks than besides on the pheasant release sites, your either a rank beginner or just lazy.  granted were not overwhelmed by public opportunities for duck hunting in this state but the sun doesn't rise and set around a pheasant release site.  there are tons of private properties that will let you hunt free of charge, it just takes some effort to find them and maintain them. you might have to get shot down a few times or help a farmer out during harvest time but there are plenty of opportunities out there you just have to get off your ass and find them.

You seem to forget that there are a lot more duck hunters than there are pheasant hunters. Of course there is more land to hunt ducks, but that doesn't mean squat. They are still jammed packed.

Like I said above. Private land is not easy to come by, and it costs way to much.

You probably do rank beginner if you do not have a boat, or you just don't have 200 dollars sitting around to buy a cheap one. Personally, I have 3 that I duck hunt out of. If I did not have those, I only know of one other place where I could duck hunt that does not hold pheasants, but it is closed right now anyway  :yike: :bash:

And sorry for coming back so late :sry:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »

your missing my point. I don't care what came first. there are designated pheasant release sites, these are the only places you can hunt pheasants in western WA. you can duck hunt on any piece of land that is legal to hunt on, that will attract ducks. you can also duck hunt on any private land that will attract ducks if you can get permission. they don't release ducks in specific areas, all you need is water or food or both and you have a good chance at a duck if they are flying.
its few VS many.

Have you ever duck hunted? Getting permission to hunt land is NOT easy, and you almost ALWAYS have to pay a ridiculoous amount  :P It takes a lot more than just water, and food to have ducks. Sure you may shoot a pair of ducks on a random beaver pond, but that is it, and you would most likely be jump shooting (this is not done over a decoy spread).

you can put an exact number public areas to duck hunt, but when you can quantify all the  private areas to hunt ducks on the westside let me know and I will change my statement. as of now there are more than I can count. either way you can split as many hairs as you want; there are still a hell of a lot more places to hunt ducks than there are pheasant release sites over here.

also if you don't have access to a  boat and you don't have anywhere to hunt ducks than besides on the pheasant release sites, your either a rank beginner or just lazy.  granted were not overwhelmed by public opportunities for duck hunting in this state but the sun doesn't rise and set around a pheasant release site.  there are tons of private properties that will let you hunt free of charge, it just takes some effort to find them and maintain them. you might have to get shot down a few times or help a farmer out during harvest time but there are plenty of opportunities out there you just have to get off your ass and find them.

You seem to forget that there are a lot more duck hunters than there are pheasant hunters. Of course there is more land to hunt ducks, but that doesn't mean squat. They are still jammed packed.

Like I said above. Private land is not easy to come by, and it costs way to much.

You probably do rank beginner if you do not have a boat, or you just don't have 200 dollars sitting around to buy a cheap one. Personally, I have 3 that I duck hunt out of. If I did not have those, I only know of one other place where I could duck hunt that does not hold pheasants, but it is closed right now anyway  :yike: :bash:

And sorry for coming back so late :sry:

Boy you sure told me, I guess after 20 years of it I don't know jack about duck hunting. thanks for showing me how much you know.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:12:08 PM by Stilly bay »

― Jim Harrison

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
So obviously you have money laying around to spend on private land. Not everyone does. I am also sure that every farmer in the state has been asked several times if there land could be hunted, and they do not feel like answering the door another time.

If you already know all of this, then why are you saying, just go hunt private land.
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 04:28:59 PM »

Quality? Success? Two words that should never be used to describe ridgefield. If you want to se a true model of success try Sauvie Island. Way better system. Yes, I hunt both, a lot.

Pheasant sites are always tough, especially with the higher cost of the tag. Think they are 90$ now? Makes most people think they are owed those birds. Wish they would shut them down before duck season starts.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
Pheasant sites are always tough, especially with the higher cost of the tag. Think they are 90$ now? Makes most people think they are owed those birds. Wish they would shut them down before duck season starts.

People need to realize that raising pheasants aren't cheap. Cost is about 15-20$ a bird maybe more :dunno: A person really only needs to shoot 5 pheasants to cover the cost of the permit.

I can't believe how many duck hunters that continue to hunt pheasant release sites?? They are clearly posted as such, makes me wonder if you guys aren't just looking for conflicts by continuing to duck hunt during pheasant season. My advice is put away the duck gear and camo and take up upland. Duck hunting really doesn't start getting good until December anyways when the northern migration starts, 2 whole months.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]