collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ebey Island Duck Hunters  (Read 34650 times)

Offline jeepguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »
I always let the pheasent hunters have thier time in the feild conflicts always ruin it for both sides there are plenty of waterfowl areas to use till trhe pheasents are done.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
So obviously you have money laying around to spend on private land. Not everyone does. I am also sure that every farmer in the state has been asked several times if there land could be hunted, and they do not feel like answering the door another time.

If you already know all of this, then why are you saying, just go hunt private land.

please don't devalue my knowledge and life experiences by pitting them against your misconceptions.

I have never paid for sex and I will never pay to use someone's private land.

all but one of the private properties I hunt came from knocking on the doors and being polite and one belongs to a friend. so far I have four local private properties to hunt when ever I feel like it. I could easily have more but why bother, these keep me plenty busy.

when I lived in chehalis I had over a dozen private hunting areas. they all came from driving around and burning gas . knocking on doors and being friendly. its redneck networking, pretty soon if enough farmers trust you, word gets out and they will vouch for you- it opens a lot of doors that would otherwise stay shut. it doesn't happen over night and its a hell of a lot of effort, obviously much more than you are willing to put forth, but you got to start somewhere.

Do you think H20 fowler gets all his limits of ducks at the pheasant release sites? do you think he pays for every piece of land he hunts? there are more hunting opportunities out there than you realize.

If you already know all of this, then why are you saying, just go hunt private land.

sigh, do you even know what your talking about at this point?

go take three days to figure out your rebuttal and get back to us. I applaud your technique of repeating your argument with different emotives. maybe if Romney had you as one of his speech writers he would be doing a little better at this point.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »
Pheasant sites are always tough, especially with the higher cost of the tag. Think they are 90$ now? Makes most people think they are owed those birds. Wish they would shut them down before duck season starts.

People need to realize that raising pheasants aren't cheap. Cost is about 15-20$ a bird maybe more :dunno: A person really only needs to shoot 5 pheasants to cover the cost of the permit.

I can't believe how many duck hunters that continue to hunt pheasant release sites?? They are clearly posted as such, makes me wonder if you guys aren't just looking for conflicts by continuing to duck hunt during pheasant season. My advice is put away the duck gear and camo and take up upland. Duck hunting really doesn't start getting good until December anyways when the northern migration starts, 2 whole months.

Really?

Cost for raising birds I'm well aware of. Been doing it for years, I'm at 6.45 a bird as an adult, less on quail. Though if I add a 40% mark up, then add extra to sell to the state I come up to your quote above.

I never look for conflict, especially with guns. It's just that the release sites in my area are a joke. It's also a proven fact that pheasants don't migrate. So there is no need to tie up land that is good for migratory fowl when they are in town. I hunt ducks a lot, more then most for sure, I can promise you it is good all season. It doesn't pick up much in Dec unless you only hunt divers.

Which leads right back to where I was. Why not let the pheasant hunters in earlier and shut it down earlier?

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »

Which leads right back to where I was. Why not let the pheasant hunters in earlier and shut it down earlier?

you want to shorten my already too short western washington pheasant season?  :'(

I think starting it early like at the beginning of Sept would be problematic for late nesting birds or fledgling birds. starting after duck season ended :dunno: would probably mess with the migration

starting august or sept would make for some pretty crappy dog work and the vets would be over run with heat stroke patients.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:06:03 PM by Stilly bay »
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
It just seems to me that there are no farmers that want hunters on their land that don't already have them. Why would a farmer let me hunt on his property for free, when he can get paid by another to hunt his property. I do not like asking people if I could hunt their land because they are probably tired of other hunters asking. It seems to me that it would leave bad impressions on farmers.

Kind of gone over in this thread http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,106215.0.html

And why would you bring up

Do you think H20 fowler gets all his limits of ducks at the pheasant release sites? do you think he pays for every piece of land he hunts?

I have said nothing anywhere near this. I would never hunt ducks at a pheasant release site. There are way too many hunters, and there are better public land opportunities to hunt ducks than pheasant release sites.
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2012, 06:20:19 PM »
It just seems to me that there are no farmers that want hunters on their land that don't already have them. Why would a farmer let me hunt on his property for free, when he can get paid by another to hunt his property. I do not like asking people if I could hunt their land because they are probably tired of other hunters asking. It seems to me that it would leave bad impressions on farmers.

Kind of gone over in this thread http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,106215.0.html

And why would you bring up

Do you think H20 fowler gets all his limits of ducks at the pheasant release sites? do you think he pays for every piece of land he hunts?

I have said nothing anywhere near this. I would never hunt ducks at a pheasant release site. There are way too many hunters, and there are better public land opportunities to hunt ducks than pheasant release sites.

Every year I come across at least one farmer that has never been asked. If you never ask you never know.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »
It just seems to me that there are no farmers that want hunters on their land that don't already have them.

with that attitude your screwed. 4phuxache you haven't talked to EVERY farmer in Western Wa.
Why would a farmer let me hunt on his property for free, when he can get paid by another to hunt his property.
thats when you get back in your car and drive to another farm. rinse and repeat.
I do not like asking people if I could hunt their land because they are probably tired of other hunters asking. It seems to me that it would leave bad impressions on farmers.
then how in the hell are you so convinced EVERY farmer won't let you hunt free of charge on his property? sounds like you gave up before you even started.
the worst thing a farmer could say is "no" and if they do chances are they already have a bad impression of hunters.

― Jim Harrison

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »
I would never hunt ducks at a pheasant release site. There are way too many hunters, and there are better public land opportunities to hunt ducks than pheasant release sites.

:yeah:  You nailed it!  And the ones that do duck on them just don't get out much and are clueless to the bountiful opportunities elsewhere. So all they end up doing is bitching about how the pheasant hunters ruined their hunt or that they got shot at when in actuality they just a few few pellets rained on them :rolleyes:.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2012, 06:28:25 PM »

you want to shorten my already too short western washington pheasant season?  :'(

I think starting it early like at the beginning of Sept would be problematic for late nesting birds or fledgling birds. starting after duck season ended :dunno: would probably mess with the migration

starting august or sept would make for some pretty crappy dog work and the vets would be over run with heat stroke patients.

Why don't you head east and hunt pheasants all season? Most of the bird hunters I know have to travel why not the elitist west side release hunters.

Pen raised birds are ready to fly by august, we can hatch them dang near when ever we want.

Heat stroke? Are there that many bad dog owners? I used run my GSP's pretty hard in august and sept. In prep for long days chasing chukar and quail.

Better yet we can get the Feds to shift duck season. Like in to march, then you guys can have Oct and Nov.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »
I always let the pheasent hunters have thier time in the feild conflicts always ruin it for both sides there are plenty of waterfowl areas to use till trhe pheasents are done.

:yeah: And most people do have that respect which in return will help all hunter types in the end.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »
It is my island  :IBCOOL:

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »

Why don't you head east and hunt pheasants all season? Most of the bird hunters I know have to travel why not the elitist west side release hunters.

Pen raised birds are ready to fly by august, we can hatch them dang near when ever we want.

Heat stroke? Are there that many bad dog owners? I used run my GSP's pretty hard in august and sept. In prep for long days chasing chukar and quail.

Better yet we can get the Feds to shift duck season. Like in to march, then you guys can have Oct and Nov.

jeez tuck in your tool. maybe I didn't drop enough smiley faces down for ya.

I was talking about wild song birds and such.

its pretty damn easy for a dog to have heat complications in temps over 60 degrees.

personally I can't head east without a great deal of cooperation from my family members, because I am the care taker for my 87 year old granmother. having a release site fifteen minutes from my home is a blessing for me. If my release site were shut down I might be able to make it east once or twice a season if the weather cooperated.

I am sure the other "elitist west side pheasant hunters" have their own reasons... besides the fact that its a long ass drive in the best of weather and the east sides pheasant population is dwindling to the point of having its own release sites.

your idea of shifting duck season will never happen, the best solution would be to find properties that ducks and the parasites that come with them don't use.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:07:44 PM by Stilly bay »

― Jim Harrison

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2012, 07:06:33 PM »

your idea of shifting duck season will never happen, the best solution would be to find properties that ducks and the parasites that come with them don't use.

Take it down a notch, I just took the other side of the argument. The exact opposite of the first two pages in fact.

I haven't hunted a release site in almost 3 yrs. But the one down here is flooded fields hardly a good pheasant hunt lol. Just don't understand why pheasant guys get priority, especially down here as DU and WWA does all the work.....

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »

Take it down a notch, I just took the other side of the argument. The exact opposite of the first two pages in fact.

I haven't hunted a release site in almost 3 yrs. But the one down here is flooded fields hardly a good pheasant hunt lol. Just don't understand why pheasant guys get priority, especially down here as DU and WWA does all the work.....

I believe it was your "elitist" comment that brought me up a notch. you will find that most pheasant hunters are just like duck hunters. good hard working people that are trying their best to do the most with what little free time and money they have. to label one or the other "elitist" is not fair. you may call me an "elitist" ...because I am, so suck it. :)

do the pheasant hunters get priority over the duck hunters? if they do its only at the release site which brings us right back to the beginning of this argument.

― Jim Harrison

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
It just seems to me that there are no farmers that want hunters on their land that don't already have them.

with that attitude your screwed. 4phuxache you haven't talked to EVERY farmer in Western Wa.
Why would a farmer let me hunt on his property for free, when he can get paid by another to hunt his property.
thats when you get back in your car and drive to another farm. rinse and repeat.
I do not like asking people if I could hunt their land because they are probably tired of other hunters asking. It seems to me that it would leave bad impressions on farmers.
then how in the hell are you so convinced EVERY farmer won't let you hunt free of charge on his property? sounds like you gave up before you even started.
the worst thing a farmer could say is "no" and if they do chances are they already have a bad impression of hunters.

Maybe I should start asking around. I just think that when a farmer gets asked however many times a year; it leaves a bad impression on hunters  :twocents:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw