Advertisement

Poll

Would you shoot a sow with cubs?

Yes
29 (11.3%)
No
228 (88.7%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Sow with cubs shoot or no?  (Read 53122 times)

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
Re: Sow with cubs shoot or no?
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
If I had the slightest interest in killing a bear I wouldn't hesitate to kill a Fall sow with cubs if it is true that the cub has high odds of surviving. If the cubs can't survive then I wouldn't shoot the sow. One thing is for certain. What someone else thinks of me wouldn't even enter the equation.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline IBspoiled

• Longhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2012, 08:10:28 AM »
I was being funny, or trying to be IBspoiled(wife).  By the way, we need to get you signed up, membership is cheap. :)   I may be fairly short as I have about 60 seconds here and there to touch base here.  I read Rippers post then read you agreed to it.   I thought it was a good time to point out what I thought was funny.  Maybe that was mean.  I was going to say I thought he was drunk, but that probably would have been meaner.   Gotta go.  I'm sure I rile your feathers with that one. :chuckle:

Thanks Bone, it is hard to determine tone from messages on a forum.  You'll be happy to know that I don't generally buy a bear tag.  I have no interest in bears, other than I would like to see them thinned out in our area a bit.  I don't like running into them while out on my horse or hiking.   :yike:  I did sneak up on 2 cubs (they were probably year old cubs, the size of a large dog) my first year archery hunting.  I thought they were elk coming my way, I got set up and out popped these two bears.  I could still hear the momma bear tearing a choke cherry tree apart.  I wouldn't have hesitated taking momma in this situation or one of the cubs, I feel they were big enough to be on their own, and I've seen lots of bears posted on here that were smaller than these cubs.  They were about 40 yards from me and headed right at me.  I tried my hardest to melt into a tree.  My husband came from behind me and snuck up to me.  Both bears turned and headed the other way and we backed out casually.  I don't think I've ever shook so much!    :yike:  Yep, I'm scared of bears!   :yeah:

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52:45 AM »
I was going to say I thought he was drunk, but that probably would have been meaner.
   :chuckle: It's ok bone, you can be mean if you want, I won't be hurt! I can take it and laugh about it. It appears that we share the same opinion, shooting a sow with "baby" cubs knowingly is unsportsmanlike. I wouldn't do it. On another note, I love your work. I wish I had your skills with a camera. Have you ever put out a calender with just bear cubs? That would be cute and probably sell like crazy!
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »
And by the way, if you shoot a momma bear with known baby cubs, I will think very lowly, lowest of low.  Piece of *censored* even would have higher value than that individual.
:lol4: 
I couldn't agree more.  There's always some these days that are willing to argue and buck the norm, but there's not a sole I associate with that'd ever think about shooting a sow with known cubs near. :)

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2012, 12:10:54 AM »
I'd say to blow away a sow with cubs in tow is pretty *censored*ty. like not be friends with you anymore kinda *censored*ty.  Do we even need a law saying DON'T DO IT? Seems like an unspoken rule to me.    If you did do it, i would't wish you death or grave bodily harm. I would hope you never had another day of success in the field again though.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2012, 12:37:39 AM »
So far every scientific study I can find says a fall cub can survive. Does anyone have scientific data to show otherwise? I could care two sheets about hunting a bear but I am interested if these strong feelings are based on actual facts backed up with science or just personal opinions.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2012, 06:23:03 AM »
I imagine there is alot of mountain lore out there that you won't find in a textbook. 

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »
.....kinda like like burying a$$wipe under a rock, huh? :chuckle:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2012, 08:39:52 AM »
 :chuckle:   EXZZACTLY   That was funny!

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »
 :chuckle:

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
I have a question. How long do those little buggers stay with momma? I have seen cubs with mom that looked way too big to be following her around and I have seen cubs without mom that looked too small.

My question. Do they stay with her clear through winter every year (den up with her)? Or do they start slowly leaving in the fall? Just never really paid attention I guess.

Everything I have seen suggests approximately 18 months on average....but then there are cases of three and four years.

Offline hoytem

• Longhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »
Me and a buddy saw a sow with 3 cubs this august. The cubs were very small and in my opinion wouldn't have survived without mama. If I know there are cubs without a doubt I will pass!

Offline buck man

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »
I have a question. How long do those little buggers stay with momma? I have seen cubs with mom that looked way too big to be following her around and I have seen cubs without mom that looked too small.

My question. Do they stay with her clear through winter every year (den up with her)? Or do they start slowly leaving in the fall? Just never really paid attention I guess.

Everything I have seen suggests approximately 18 months on average....but then there are cases of three and four years.

That would be correct DB, but for only black bears. Grizzly and polar bears will keep cubs up to 2 1/2 years.
I find this topic quite interesting. I have killed 29 bears and only  TWO were sows. Never been a problem to pass up sows with cubs....cause there all boars. :chuckle:
If we were supposed to be vegetarian God would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!
"HOYT" why would you even consider shooting something else?

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »

So when I see a sow with cubs that are 80-90 lbs they are likley 18 months or so (previous spring cubs)?

There's a big blonde sow I've watched and photographed over the years, that has went through several sets of cubs.   We deamed her the "Golden Emperess" and I've seen her with a couple tiny cubs one year, and with the same cubs the next fall, only much larger.  Two times with her this has been the case.  Once with twins and once with triplets.  The twins were both light brown with white patches on their chests and the triplets were all dark brown with no white patches.  Thus my conclusion is they "can"pack the same cubs around for at least two fall seasons.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
Neat observations.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal