collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shot a 2 point, going to court, any advice?  (Read 97041 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Shot a 2 point, going to court, any advice?
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »
, so my advice is to ask for a deferal. I don't know if a deferal is an option for this particular case, but I would ask!

Ask who? An attorney perhaps?

Like I stated last week in another post, a lot of people on here are *censored* bags

Pot... meet kettle.

Offline chad s.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »
A deferral is a postponment. If you don't commit any other game violations within a year, then the case is dropped. If you do commit a game violation within a year, then the current violation, as well as the deferred violation both go on your record, and you have to pay all applicable fines exc....

Offline Shannon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2012, 07:39:40 PM »
You'd be in the same amount of trouble even if you did stay with the animal and have a buddy call the gamie. I know a guy that shot a two point bull elk at 300 yards. He thought it was a spike and did not know it was a two point until he walked up on it. He called the gamie and waited for him to arrive. The officer said he hated to do it but he had no choice than to cite him since he confessed. He lost his rifle, the elk, and his hunting priveleges for two years and he had to pay a $2,000 fine. Crap happens and sometimes you just have to take your lumps.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
In the late 70s I was hunting alone near Glacier Wa. I hiked down a slope from the road.
I sat and watched a clearing in the woods. I had open sights.
Two deer came out,a 2pt and a doe. I got the 2pt in my sights and squeezed. When I got to the deer I had killed the doe.
I knew if anyone came along ,it would look bad. I dressed out the doe, and covered with brush. I hiked to my truck,drove to  pay phone in Glacier and called 911. A agent called me back. He met me and I led him to the doe we packed it out and he wrote me a ticket.
Hunting doe deer during a closed season.
I went to court, open. I was one of the first cases called. The agent stood up and asked the judge to move my case to the end.
So I set through 30 other cases.
Finally it was my turn.
The agent stood and told the judge what I had done and that they would never had found the deer if I had not reported it.
The judge commended me and fined me 250.00. Than suspended the sentence provided I not have another violation in 3 years.

To this day I still run across agents who have never met me but know the story.
For years after agents would check me and just wave me on.

Turns out the agent was brand new and I was is first ever ticket.

30 years later I am telling the story to a hunter Ed class. Hand goes up and kid says that was my uncle , he just retired and still tells the same story.

Good luck.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »
Get an attourney! its a bad deal bud but it happens... you definetly shouldnt have put the head in the cab. and you shoudnt have even loaded it in the truck at all. thats suspecious. but you did do the right thing tagging it and dragging it out instead of all the other idiots that leave them lay. i hope things go okay for you. none of us are perfect.

how would not having the 3 point min rule save more 2 points? then everyone would kill the 2 point and id be about impossible to even a 3 point mulie on the east side. letting them grow gives them a chance to get smarter and thats why we have some pretty good mulie huntin. yeah some 2 points get poached and some end up never growing a 3rd point, but because of that rule there are still way nicer bucks than would have been here without it. blacktail have all the brush on the west to hide and do alright. where i hunt mulies is all open country and theyd get slaughtered. honestly i think if the blacktail were 3 point min you guys on the west could be killing some masher bucks. but i would NEVER push for that because i dont hunt over there. its none of my business how things are regulated over there and just a personal opinion...

but anyways, good luck bud

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
You made an honest mistake (several by your count.) If this is the worst mistake you make in life, consider yourself blessed.

I wish you well.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Wenatcheejay

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »
A non-sarcastic thank you to those who have offered helpful advice. I appreciate it. Again, I'm not trying to get out of my punishment or dodge the proverbial bullet here.

A sarcastic thanks to everyone else for piling on. Again there is nothing you can say to me that I already haven't thought or said to myself.

As for whether you believe my story or not, it's all true. I have no reason to make anything up.

Let this be a lesson to you!  Don't EVER, EVER, EVER bring some mistake you made up on this forum!!  Most of the people here are PERFECT, and will ensure you know that by belittling you for your mistake.  It happens all the time. 
Since most others are doing it, YOU ARE AN EVIL, IGNORANT PERSON!  YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BREATHE, LET ALONE HUNT IN OUR GREAT, AWESOME, WELL-RUN, WELL-MANAGED STATE!  SO STUPID!  YOU MUST HAVE BEEN DRUNK OR RETARDED OR SOMETHING.  YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE IN A TEACHING POSITION, YOUR EVIL VALUES WILL WARP OUR CHILDREN'S BRAINS! (Not video games or social media or lack of parent involvement, you.)  I HOPE THEY BURN YOU AT THE STAKE AS AN EXAMPLE TO ALL THE OTHERS WHO WOULD THOUGHTLESSLY MAKE A MISTAKE IN THE WOODS..... blah blah blah *yaaaawn

Did I cover all of it? 
Oh wait, you are stupid because you don't have good optics.
Think that's it.

Little joke for you
Jesus showed up just as a man was about to be stoned.
He said "Let them without sin cast the first stone"
No one moved for a second, then a rock came sailing out from the back of the crowd and hit the man
Jesus said "MOM!  I hate it when you come to these things"

:yeah:
Nicepost (very true.)

Honestly Matt, you did make a mistake. (As you already freely admit.) You will go to court. You will probably pay a fine and might loose your gun. (Or have to buy it back.) But, it is not a capital crime. You should always at least consult a lawyer. You will get your hunt again at some point if you choose. The feeling bad about it is normal (I'd guess.) Pay your dues and move on.
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Offline simondude

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
People on here are stupid. Some dude shoots an illegal deer gets caught then post it on here and a bunch of you feel sorry for him. He should get buster just like any other poacher you guys would wanna hang in the street, if someone would have posted that they had seen this happen that's what you all would be screening for.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
*censored* bags?   :yike:

You havent provided one useful post to this topic, move along to the speak your mind board where those posts are the norm and some what appreciated.

Matt, sounds like you made a mistake. It happens. Wasnt very bright to put it in the cab, like you said. Im sure it will work out. Good luck.

Offline ldjbuff

• Scout
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Hey i think its cool you kept the deer and tagged it. Two guys shot does right by us and just took off, they thought they were bucks. Warden said We had to leave the does there. Coyotes got them the next night.

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »
People on here are stupid. Some dude shoots an illegal deer gets caught then post it on here and a bunch of you feel sorry for him. He should get buster just like any other poacher you guys would wanna hang in the street, if someone would have posted that they had seen this happen that's what you all would be screening for.

yeah but that some dude at least didnt waste the animal. yeah he was in the wrong on several things but at least he packed it out.. being in the wrong he did a little right...

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
He fessed up that he made an honest mistake.  The thing that is missing here is what did he get written up for?  Did I miss it?
Definitely talk to a lawyer. 

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »
Sorry to hear....   Glad you tried to do the right thing.

Personally, I would NOT lawyer up.  I would just go tell my story and let the chips fall.   In my VERY LIMITED experience, the lawyer can cost more than they save you.

(These posts always bring out the perfect who walk among us........   It has to be quite something to have never screwed up.)

I hope it works out OK for you.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline BurleyDog

• Hunter
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2012, 10:18:50 PM »
 :yeah:

Do the right thing, it will be for the best.
Don't cost the taxpayer by bogging down the system any more then you have to.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »
Always start off pleading innocent. If you plead guilty the process stops and you're much more likely to get steamrolled

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]