collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 'Yote Land...  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Wanna eat organic? GO HUNT!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
'Yote Land...
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
I am done with Big Game for the year (save foe the elusive Mountain Lion) and am ready to put my effort into Yotes. Problem is, I am sure as hell not making a huge trip out of dog hunting. So thinking locally, and this being my first year for dogs and cats, whre would one look to see if land is open for hunting? Call DNR? Just go to places that are typical Deer/Bear areas that I frequent?

I gues what I am getting at is when you see pics or videos of people dog hunting, they are in places that are more open, flat etc. etc... Plus with the woods around me being so thick (GMU 448 and surrounding units), I'm not trying to become catnip by being enclosed in a tangle of wetside trees.

With that in mind, anyone have any thoughts as to some flat areas for dogs without traveling to BFE?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: 'Yote Land...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
If you are worried about being "catnip" bring a buddy and sit back to back.  Sit down in those trees and bring a shotgun.  It will be a hoot!

Scout for sign, yote crap on roads/trails is an easy way to see if they are in the area.  Do some locating howls and find them and put a plan together.

Good Luck!
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
I always hunt with a partner, I personally think solo hunting is a highly stupid thing to do, almost as bad as the spelling in the first post...

So the talk of dogs being pretty much anywhere actually makes sense then? whether thick or open, or are chances better in flatter areas closer to urban settings? I always seem to see more dogs in town than out in the woods.

Offline shoot-em-dead

• non-yar
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »
There are coyotes out there in the thick stuff- only problem is trying to get them to come in without smelling you. Damn near impossible but it can be done. That is why most guys hunt the wide open. You have a huge advantage if you can spot them first and get a shot off before they smell you. Good luck.
This closet is taken- go find your own

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »
 :) I hunt alone most the time because I kill more game and LOTS more coyotes when I do.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
Most of my, hunting is alone also, half the noise, half the scent and once you understand wind and terrain getting backdoored is less and less a problem.  When you hunt alone your partner is never late and doesnt have to go home early.  You never have to worry about finding a bunch of folks in your honey hole because your partner took someone without you.  You can eat what you want, when you want Hunting alone is a ++ deal.  Most of my duck and upland hunting is alone,  I do have a partner for a special trip but he prefers to hunt alone most of the time also.

PS If something does go wrong at least you went doing what you love and not strapped to a bed with a bunch of tubes running out of you.  Been hunting and running traplines for over 50yrs and there have been a few close ones, lost, swamped boats in below zero weather, falling throught the ice, sitting out a tide change on a floating log durring a snow storm, just things that happen when you love the outdoors more than anything else but still here and the experiences are great fodder for conversation and gives you a sense of accomplishment to survive thiese things on your own.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:19:04 PM by AWS »
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
 :yeah: This is pretty much to a T how my grandpa brought me up, and exactly what he has said many a time. I love the outdoors alone, I love soaking it in and being at one with my surroundings. I just prefer to hunt with a partner. It makes for good times, bonding and you both learn from wach other. No offense to anyone, and everyone who does hunt alone, but in an emergency situation, you never know what could happen.

As far as scent, are cats/dogs something that scent technology doesn't really work on? Can they smell the ingredients as well as one would think? Or does scent tech actually make a positive difference with cats/dogs?

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »
pm seth30 i think he has a pretty good idea about yote hunting on this side and in the timber.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »
Cats are more of a sight hunter and scent isn't as important  for them but coyotes live by their nose.  As a trapper I know that a coyote can smell a sightly contaminated trap under a couple of inches of dirt that is sprayed with aged coyote urine next to a chunck of  slightly rotted meat and a good skunk based attractor scent.  People have been trying to smuggle drug and using evrything in the world to cover the scent and drug dogs can find it, coyotes have better noses.  People have been using Misting to confuse a coyotes nose but from what I've read it only works for a short period of time and the nose wins but sometime it give you a chance for a downwind shot.  I pretty much live by the wind.  You can call downwind but you have to be in a position to see a coyotes approach befor he enters your scent cone.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Big10gauge

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »
I think most of the dedicated coyote hunters prefer to hunt alone. Not all the time but 99.99% :)
[smg id=6490]

Offline rynokron

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 04:16:32 PM »
Where are you at on the westside?

Offline sebek556

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
pm seth30 i think he has a pretty good idea about yote hunting on this side and in the timber.
he does have a good idea, but seth is currently on a boat so might take a long time to get a answer :chuckle:

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 06:08:29 PM »
Good words AWS...

Where are you at on the westside?

rynokron, Snohomish County...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics