Advertisement

Author Topic: Fail!!  (Read 7069 times)

Offline Stilly bay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
Re: Fail!!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 10:33:56 PM »
I sat over my spread and just watched the ducks fly by out of range until dark. Never took a shot! Beats doing yard work!!

then you must have been set up in the wrong spot. you don't need a call to draw them in if you and your decoys are in the right area and all your other bases are covered. on public land later in the season sometimes its best just to shut the F up and let everyone else shoot themselves in the feet with poor or overly aggressive calling while educated ducks get fooled by something they haven't seen already... a silent decoy spread.

ever wonder why so many ducks sneak in your decoys when YOU AREN'T paying attention and blasting spit out the end of your call? how could they possibly find the decoys without your help?  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Skagit_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 02:43:46 AM »
I sat over my spread and just watched the ducks fly by out of range until dark. Never took a shot! Beats doing yard work!!

then you must have been set up in the wrong spot. you don't need a call to draw them in if you and your decoys are in the right area and all your other bases are covered. on public land later in the season sometimes its best just to shut the F up and let everyone else shoot themselves in the feet with poor or overly aggressive calling while educated ducks get fooled by something they haven't seen already... a silent decoy spread.

ever wonder why so many ducks sneak in your decoys when YOU AREN'T paying attention and blasting spit out the end of your call? how could they possibly find the decoys without your help?  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

BINGO
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Along with black hoodies

Offline fisheral87

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/home.php
  • Groups: WSCPA, BHA
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
Three of us were hunting one morning and it was about 10 am, we were all there standing big as life on this sandy spot being real loud and one guy was telling a joke. Three drakes and two hens came careening into the spread and landed. It was one of those moments that you look at one another like, did that just happen? Those five gave us a limit.

I am a new to duck hunting, but here in WA I have yet to really have much luck consistently calling duck to the spread, it seems to deter them in many situations.

"Luck is a dividend of sweat, the more you sweat the luckier you get." - Ray Kroc

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »
I am a new to duck hunting, but here in WA I have yet to really have much luck consistently calling duck to the spread, it seems to deter them in many situations.

Most guys don't sound like ducks.  They sound like really loud guys yelling at ducks with a crappy duck call.   Real ducks aren't quacking at each other constantly and loudly, over and over like a lot of hunters do.  Get a really good two tone call (the primos wench is a good basic call),  listen to a good instructional cd, and learn the cadence and drawn out notes of the lazy hen call with the little squeak at the end of each note, the contented quack, the staccato feeding chuckle, the reedy mallard drake call, and use a widgeon whistle to sound like wigeon, pintails and teal.  Save the loud comeback and hail calls for practice at home when hunting around other guys.  They can work on really big water though, but it's the exception rather than the rule.   Most guys are just way too aggressive when calling  in my opinion.  When the ducks are coming in, let them.   When they're not, try to coax them, but don't scream at them. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]