collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: **Need some guidance**  (Read 4911 times)

Offline NW-GSP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: **Need some guidance**
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 10:11:18 PM »
I will gladly show you how to do it,guaranteed no FT groupie knows this trick,it's very very very old,it's a trick I learned from a fellow in the pro training world who was nicknamed the "Pigeon Magician",he was the first pro trainer to switch from wild birds to pigeons in the early 50's.The dog better be locking up 20+ feet away or it's bird in the air.

No helper required,The only thing launchers are for is backing/honoring training

they are real handy for simulating hunting scenarios and teaching a dog not to crowd birds.
 I really don't know of a better long distance / practical way to teach a dog to be respectful of a bird's space without the help of a launcher or wild birds. granted this isn't an issue for the field trial groupies, where standing over planted birds seems to be acceptable.

I can assure you that everything he is saying is true. I have seen it and it made things click for my Gsp, take him up on the offer you will not regret it

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
certainly has piqued my interest. one these days I will have to see it in action.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
I've given you my number in a pm,Your sharp enough after meeting you at the chickin ticket site that I could explain it via the phone and you'd have it dialed in.
certainly has piqued my interest. one these days I will have to see it in action.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
I will give you a holler the next sunny day we have so I can stand under the cherry tree and lean backward to whidbey island trying to get service for my phone  :bash: island living isn't for the feint of heart.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw