collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ear Protection in the field  (Read 3789 times)

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Ear Protection in the field
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
Do any of you wear it when upland hunting? I currently do not, as I like to be able to hear my surroundings...But as I hunt more and more and expose my ear-drums to the thump of a 20 gauge, I want to change that.

Any good ideas out there...with budget in mind? I know there are some great sound suppressing ear-buds and ear-muffs and I could always just throw in some $.99 cheapos, just don't want to have to spend $500 bucks and I still want to hear my surroundings.

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
Re: Ear Protection in the field
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »
I as of this year have a pair of plugs around my neck and put them in before shooting, The constant ring in my ears is annoying and don't want it to get worse
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »
There is no need for ear protection in the field.  The report of your gun isn’t an issue and with common sense muzzle control your hunting partners’ reports shouldn’t be problem either.

Offline MP123

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
I tried the hearing aid style ear buds (Game-ear) that supress gun shots and they drove me crazy.  They cut the blast down fine but you hear every single little puff of wind and rustle of grass amplified.  Very distracting for upland hunting but might work well in a tree stand or a blind.

I wear foam plugs and earmuffs over them at the range and for trap but nothing for upland hunting.  I'm sure I may come to regret that at some point but it's a rare day that I fire more than a few shots. 

You could always try a foam plug in the ear next to the shotty and nothing in the other...

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »
There is no need for ear protection in the field.  The report of your gun isn’t an issue and with common sense muzzle control your hunting partners’ reports shouldn’t be problem either.

I cry bull chit! if I don't wear something I am sure to get a migraine after a shot or two.

what I have been doing for years is cut an earplug in half, I throw away the tapered end and stick the larger end in my left ear. for my right ear I use a small ball of paper towel. this muffles the gun report quite well and still allows me to hear a bird when it flushes.

I don't think this would get your doctors approval, but it has worked for me.

I can't stand wearing two earplugs, all I can hear is my own breathing and I would get terrible earaches afterward.

"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »
I as of this year have a pair of plugs around my neck and put them in before shooting, The constant ring in my ears is annoying and don't want it to get worse
Exactly what I do for all hunting, and for the same reason.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:51:44 AM »
I use a custom moulded plug in my left ear, nothing in the right ear (next to the shotgun).  Your left ear is slightly pointed toward the muzzle when shooting and is where most of my damage is.  The ear Dr. does not approve of this but leaving the right ear open helps to keep track of the dog in the thick stuff.

I have a pair of the electronic plugs around here somewhere that do not get used much.  They are great at the range where you can hear conversations.  In the field there is no sense of direction.  All the noise you hear sounds like it coming from the center of your head. 

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
WHAT?????
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline jplmyers

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:18:29 AM »
I'm in the Army, and I use (not as often as I should) Surefire Sonic Defenders (<$15).  They comfortably fit in my ears and gently grip the outer ear opening to stay in place.  There is a small membrane that blocks impulse noises like gunfire (but still allows a whisper to be heard), and there is a small opening that can be closed for continuous noise exposure (generators, power tools, etc).  I really like them and the price is right.

I think gunfire is a serious, and often overlooked issue.  I shoot my shotgun far more often than my M4/M9, and at every perioditc hearing screening test, my hearing is a little worse.  When I first started shooting, my ears used to ring... now they don't... I am still in my 20's and have only been shooting about 7 years.

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »
JPL, I am going to give the Sonic Defenders a try!

Offline Camo

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »
I 2nd the Surefire Defenders, great item for the application and very reasonably priced.
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline BK Dave

• Scout
Ear Protection in the field
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »
I'm 1/2 deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other one after 15 years of bird hunting with out protection!

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »

:dunno: After shooting a lot without ear protection...my ears are ringing 100% of the time  :bash: And you sould just shoot Atroxus's gun... that will change your mind  :chuckle: I now use electronic ear muffs.
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »
And you sould just shoot Atroxus's gun... that will change your mind  :chuckle: I now use electronic ear muffs.

just being within a hundred yards of Atroxus's gun will change your mind. that sumbich is LOUD. short stubby barrel with porting... :yike: doesn't seem to have much trouble killing birds though.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »
And you sould just shoot Atroxus's gun... that will change your mind  :chuckle: I now use electronic ear muffs.

just being within a hundred yards of Atroxus's gun will change your mind. that sumbich is LOUD. short stubby barrel with porting... :yike: doesn't seem to have much trouble killing birds though.

Now imagine being in a little box (duck blind) with that thing  :yike: :hello:

Oh! And forgetting ear protection :IBCOOL:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:38:49 PM by Kola16 »
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan