collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: does Ozonics work ??  (Read 7844 times)

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
does Ozonics work ??
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »
well my seasons over for the year  :'( time to start getting ready for next year an improve my "set up"

i want to do alot of ground blind hunting next year for whitetail an blacktail an am interested about if anybody on here uses ozonics ?? if it even works ?? to an extent ??? is it worth the 400 bucks ??

any info will be appreciated
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:31:43 AM by kentrek »

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: does Ozonics work ??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »
i sure as hell wouldn't use one!  especially in a blind!   :yike:

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:30:30 AM »
People have been very successful with just hunting the wind for a long time. I would personally use the money on other gear or tags or scouting. Not saying it doesn't work... just that I would not buy one for the price.

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
"Ozone is a toxic gas with vastly different chemical and toxicological properties from oxygen."

"Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, and, throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. "

buy one if you want, but i wouldn't hunt with one  :twocents:

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »
Its funny how the tv personalities use it but you still here them talking about hunting stands on the right wind.  Doesn't make much since to me if it was doing it's job.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »
Its funny how the tv personalities use it but you still here them talking about hunting stands on the right wind.  Doesn't make much since to me if it was doing it's job.

:yeah: thats why i wanted to get some voices that haven't been paid

the health part is kinda sketchy too..

Offline jaymark6655

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »
Ozone does eleminate odors, in the past I used them to remove smoke smell in houses that had fires.  O3 is bad for you and will make you sick.  In an open environment with wind, I am not sure it would provide a "curtain" like it claims.

Personally, I could always tell when there was ozone in a room or stuff that had been ozoned, it had a weird unatural smell, like nothing was there and I think animals might notice this.

When I first saw these, I thought they were just for removing scent from clothing before a hunt (put ozonic and cloths in a bag or something like that) and would never put on near me on a hunt.

Hunt the wind, its cheaper and has been proven.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »
I always figured it for a gimmic. O3 or Ozone in my line of work is a toxic gas. It is also a pollutant.

I suspect it would take some decent eletrical power and some sort of catalyst to actually break the bonds of 02 (oxygen in the air) and cause it to rebond as O3. Your truck engine does this pretty well in the cumbustion chamber. Not that we want that. I'm skeptical that a small battery powered unit chould do much of that. Also O2 only makes up about 21% of the air, so even if you were converting O2 to O3, you would only be affecting 21% of the air mass.

Maybe I'm way off on my thoughts though........

I suspect all the little box does is maybe ionize the air to a negative charge. This in theory should attract particulate and likely move it toward the ground. Where the air would then dump the particles...... This should work in a limited aspect. You could by an AC powered air filter/ionizer for your house at most any store that sells home furnishings type stuff. Those units most often have a grounded metal element for the charged particles to stick to.

Ozonics is very likely just a battery powered air ionizer.

Scent is just particulate in the air. What you smell are particles your breathing in. Dont think about that too hard as you walk into a smelly restroom. :yike: Deer smell the same though their receptors are far more sensitive than ours. I suspect they smell ionized particles as well as any others. So if the wind blows to the deer.......... :dunno: 

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 11:12:02 AM »
Great Grandpa never used one, if that tells your something............ :chuckle:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
Looks like the EPA will be looking into this here gadget to helping with global somthing? :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
does Ozonics work ??
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »
Use scent free soap on your body, scent free detergent on your clothes and buy a little bottle full of chalk to check the wind.  everything else is a waste of time and money IMHO. 

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »
Use scent free soap on your body, scent free detergent on your clothes and buy a little bottle full of chalk to check the wind.  everything else is a waste of time and money IMHO.
crap, thats why i havent been killing anything,  been lathering up with axe soap and body spray before i head to the woods

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:44 PM »
ya know, when i'm in the blind with my daughter, neither of us do anything in regards to scent control, and we see a lot of deer (over food).  my clothes get washed in regular detergent, i use my regular deodorant, she eats oreos and drinks hot chocolate... we've had deer within 8 feet of all sides of our blind.  do they startle at times?  yeah, but less often than i would have thought.  now movement and noise... WHOLE different game!   :tup:

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »
This is an interesting read:
http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/environmental_health/eoha/pdf/ozone_generator_fact_sheet.pdf

You can google making ozone and come up with how to make a home unit. But they all use AC and fairly large amounts of power. I'm still skeptical that a small battery powered unit could turn a fan and make a meaningfull amount of ozone for any length of time.

I like the Primos brand powder wind indicators. I've tried talcum and also the mocasin joe version (It smells like talcum powder). I've had all but the Primos version seemingly spook animals. I can also smell them all but the Primos one. I'm not sure what Primos uses, maybe unscented baby powder?????? Off on a tangent...

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
does Ozonics work ??
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 02:15:26 PM »
crap, thats why i havent been killing anything,  been lathering up with axe soap and body spray before i head to the woods

That's what I use when I'm cougar hunting, cept I go to a bar instead of the woods ; )

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]