collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: solo or with a buddy?  (Read 32404 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: solo or with a buddy?
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
The Physical aspect of backcountry hunting is the easy part, what is hard to overcome (for me anyways) was the mental part.  Fear and loneliness were my issues.  I recommend overnight summer scouting/fishing trips to "test the waters".  Whether you love it or hate it, it will tell you a lot about yourself.  I stuck with it and overcame my mental shortcomings but I will say one thing to the contrary, sharing an experience as special as the backcountry with someone else is always much more fun than alone.  Even with a partner there is still plenty of alone time to take in everything.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
one more thing about solo hunting........if you find yourself having conversations with yourself, its ok your not crazy!  At least thats what I told myself last time I went up solo :chuckle: :iamwithstupid:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
one more thing about solo hunting........if you find yourself having conversations with yourself, its ok your not crazy!  At least thats what I told myself last time I went up solo :chuckle: :iamwithstupid:

How about conversations with mice and other animals :o.......I used to hunt high country solo all the time. Average trip was 5-6 days, longest was 13. I love the secluded part of it. Makes a guy feel free. The biggest hurdle is the lonley mental part. Escpecially at night when bears and other animals come sniffing around camp. Like others have said, start small, 1-2 days and go from there.

Falling is the biggest fear. Im not worried about weather, etc. But if you fall and break something you are FUBAR..Most of my solo trips where done before cell phones where popular, Ive heard good and bad about SPOT. I would consider a SAT phone as well.

I have friends now that are willing to follow me back in to the high country. Back then most friends would go scouting with me but would never go back in for the hunt.

One thing to remeber, if you do go with a friend make sure they KNOW FIRST AID..not just basic stuff but tactical/combat style FIRST AID. They need to know how to deal with gunshot wounds, compound fractures etc....

And one more thing....Have fun :tup:

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
Hey, Addicted2Hunting,

This is a really good thread. 

I have climbed and backpacked solo for a couple of decades now, and, to be really honest, I hate it.  Like others have said, yes you can move at your own pace, and you are much quieter alone (no need to talk, look back, wait around, etc.).  The physical part is never an issue, and so far the medical issues have always been very minor.

What do I dislike about it?  Loneliness.  The first thing I miss is my family, and that usually occurs within a hour or two of setting out.  I think about them the whole time, and this is why I always get out alive and on time, is because I want to be back with my family.

So why do I go?  Because I love to be in the mountains, whether climbing, fishing, hunting, whatever.  And why do I go alone?  Because I don't have a dependable fishing/hunting/climbing partner. 

I have had good partners over the years, and I still go out with partners even now.  But the fact of the matter is this: My schedule is not your schedule, and my objectives are not yours.  It is just so hard to find a good balance.

I am repeating others on this, but you will find that the backpacking/camping/cooking part is not that hard when done solo.  It is really REALLY hard when you get an animal!

My advice?  Hybrid solution.  Find a bow hunter who is basically willing to hunt alone.  Invite him/her to join you at your hunt camp.  Share the camp (including duties), but solo hunt.  Best of both worlds.  He can take the bogs, you take the ridges.  He can hunt just the morning, you can go out dawn to dusk.  You can even set up a bivouac site for a night or two.

There is the very important issue of scouting, which requires days and days throughout the year to learn a new area.  Any hunting partner that you select must be willing to put in as much effort as you do, so choose your partner well!!

Somebody else mentioned this earlier, but climbing is too risky to go out alone.  In my opinion, hunting is less risky than climbing, so solo adventures are possible.  But having a camp buddy could be the ticket for you (...and for me, too).

Hope this is helpful.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »
I would agree. It would be nice to share camp and either hunt together. I hunt with people all the time that don't pull there weight. And it gets old. So that's why I usually hunt alone. I scout and plan every year and I don't get calls till a out a week if two before the season. Jeff what we doing this year!!! That's why I do things on my own

Offline furiouzgeorge

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of a solo back-country hunt next year. I've hunted alone almost every time I've gone out. No one I know is as committed as I am. If I'm awake, I wanna hunt. No one else seems to get that!  :dunno: Last trip I took out to the woods I was on my way back to the truck when I went to cross a creek and my glasses fell right off my face. I have great vision when I have my glasses but without them in the woods, in the dusk, I'm DONE! I spent about forty five minutes laying in the creek trying to find them. I finally resolved to make my way back to the truck leaving myself a trail of arrows in the trees on the way back to the spot I lost them. Half way out I kicked myself for being a wuss and went back and found them laying in one of my boot prints. They were so cold they instantly condensed when I put them on my face and I was hopeless to find my way out of the woods. After another half hour I finally made it to my truck in tact. This experience has taught me a couple of things. When your adrenaline is pumping and everything's a blur, everything's a cougar! Also, it's not good practice to head out alone for a couple of days when something as easy as losing your glasses could leave you without any means of getting back home. So first on my list of things to get for next year's hunt are contacts! I'll keep extra pair with me at all times and be ready to go. But still after that I'm pretty sure a second person would be helpful for many reasons. 
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. " ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
Have not done this in years....There is a difference in solo camping and solo hunting.

Solo hiking/camping     I bet we have all solo hiked into a particular area fully expecting to come across other hikers. Sleeping in a tent this way, I never felt really alone, as I expected there were other people around, either ahead of me on a trail, or behind me.

Solo hunting for me seemed to be almost something of a spiritual thing. The planning even seemed different. Arriving at a remote spot to lock my vehicle and walk away into the wild. It just feels odd.

Guilt. I often have felt guilty when out on a solo hunt. Guilty of something, probably that my wife had to endure extra issues while I was away recharging my soul.

Loneliness. I never solo hunted long enough to desire talking with another human.

Fright or Flight. I have been spooked while in the woods. Things sound so different if you are alone,  laying motionless and listening to the earth. Your imagination goes crazy sometimes it seems. The only thing which has ever made me get up, and do something about it are freaking mice. Mice have ruined many a good nights rest for me. I hate those little buggers...

Spirituality. It is something completely different than to brew some water for a bowl of oatmeal and a coffee on a solo hunt, than it is to whip up breakfast on a combined hunt. I remember looking into the meal, being thankful for it.

Soul. I feel that even a couple nights spent alone in the back country does recharge my soul. Not sure how really as I come back very physically tired, a bit lack of sleep, both some mental and physical exhaustion. But I did feel satisfied. ( I have never scored a big game animal from a solo back country hunt.

molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline NumaJohn

• Scout
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »
Thoughtful post, Iceman.  Thanks for making it.

John
"When we go afield to hunt wild game produced by the good earth, we search among the absolute truths held by the land, and the land, responding only to the law of nature, cannot be deceived."    

Jim Posewitz, Inherit the Hunt

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
Solo is definitely not for everyone.  I've done it quite a bit and there are still times when the nights get a little spooky :o  Especially when the bears decide your food smells better than theirs at about 2:30 A.M.  But, then morning comes and I feel as though I am right where I'm suppose to be.  I love it!

If I am real serious about taking a trophy animal then I am equally serious about doing it on my own.  My success is much, much greater if by myself.  However, if having an enjoyable adventure is more in tune with what I'm after a good back country hunt with a good/tough friend (no sissy whiners) really adds to the enjoyment factor.  Just not as good a chance that I will be as successful as when hunting on my own.

Biggest problem with solo back country hunting is getting your camp and your trophy off the mountain.  Years ago in the Eagle Caps I took a nice bull on a solo hunt.  Took me most of three days to get everything off the mountain.  Followed by about 3 days of sleep.

It's one heck of a lot safer than hunting from a treestand without a harness.  Looks like plenty of guys on H-W do that without a second thought.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »
The Physical aspect of backcountry hunting is the easy part, what is hard to overcome (for me anyways) was the mental part.  Fear and loneliness were my issues.  I recommend overnight summer scouting/fishing trips to "test the waters".  Whether you love it or hate it, it will tell you a lot about yourself.  I stuck with it and overcame my mental shortcomings but I will say one thing to the contrary, sharing an experience as special as the backcountry with someone else is always much more fun than alone.  Even with a partner there is still plenty of alone time to take in everything.

I still havent gotten past the one night mark on my solo back pack hunts. I get bored, anxious and some times down right freaked out. None of this has been an issue when Ive had a partner. I find it so much more enjoyable that way any how. Im always worried about getting hurt or something happening even though I know its highly unlikely. I really enjoy being able to share my experiences with some one as well. Ill still continue doing solo trips in hope of breaking the one night mark.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »
 I have backpack hunted solo a few times, and it worked out fine. It really gives you time for reflection and to think about the future. For me its been almost a spiritual thing and I think about things I normally don't.
 At the same time, I start missing my family and feel guilty for leaving them.
 For me a good partner is really the way to go. I agree solo is probably more productive, but I'm just as happy when my buddy whacks a good critter.
 I will say 2 guys max, I have tried to go with 3 before and that turns into a zoo.  :twocents:

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 05:34:48 PM »

Thats the aspect I too would struggle with.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 05:47:56 PM »
wow, good thoughts guys. I think I am liking the sounds of both solo and with a buddy. I guess they both have a place. I like the Idea of camping with a buddy but hunting seperate. best of both worlds. plus its hard to hold all the cool stories until you get home! :tup:
"real dogs have beards"

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »
wow, good thoughts guys. I think I am liking the sounds of both solo and with a buddy. I guess they both have a place. I like the Idea of camping with a buddy but hunting seperate. best of both worlds. plus its hard to hold all the cool stories until you get home! :tup:

Thats exactly how we do it...... we go our seperate ways and meet back up at night.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
Probably the best way because more ground is covered and if you get an animal down someone there to give you a hand. With that being said I still hunt solo.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:56:24 PM by Skyvalhunter »
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal