collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: coyote slump  (Read 2263 times)

Offline yoter250

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: v.h.a
coyote slump
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
Hello i am new to this site and i am a avid coyote hunter the past three weeks i have hit a bad slump nothing will come in and i cant get any thing to howl. lots of coyote tracks and scat in the areas i hunt i have tried everything that i can think of i use a foxpro fire storm and hand calls anyone have any ideas to help a couple of coyote hunters in the kettle falls area i would really appreciate it.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: coyote slump
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »
This time of year gets tuff. We tend to do much much better with coyote vocalizations. If you have female sounds use them.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline yoter250

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »
thank you i have a lot of vocals how long should u usually set on a stand when howling?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:12:59 AM »
It really can change a lot. I am no expert on calling coyotes but I have killed more then a handful or 2 in my young years :chuckle: It really depends in the deeper snow they can take awhile to work in. Also the wind can play into it. I like to stay at least 30 mins on a stand. If it's pretty quite out and I know my sound is really getting out there. I will stay longer to give them a chance to come in.

Offline deaner

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
hey, just wondering if youre having a hard time getting around in all the snow out there, from what i hear its pretty bad right now.  was thinking about heading that way to do some coyote / cougar calling in a couple days and was thinking i should buy some snow shoes first.  you staying in lower (lake elevation) hunting grounds, or have you tried getting higher at all?

Offline fair-chase

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:02:26 AM »
I feel your pain Yoter.  :) I thought being in a slump was bad. Then, just the other day, I got so excited when one finnally showed up.....I botched it!!!  :chuckle:  Now I have to live with the shame of a miss while my slump contiues.  :chuckle:

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »
Use Binos....they may be educated a little.....but they will still come in, and probably are...problem is they hold up a ways out there, and you cannot normally see them, as they poke their head over a rise or at a brushy edge. they survey the area and sneak away...Use the binos, Be looking for a face out there, look in every nook and cranny....

Start your normall routine and wait with eager anticipation....if you dont see anything in five minutes.  pull up the binos, assume there is one out there, and try and find it. i started this thing, with the binos a few years back and i have found many that would normally have snuk away, without me ever knowing they were there. just pull up the binos, and scan scan scan starting close, and working far untill you see a face.. when your done scanning, start the calling sequence again, and repeat.    good luck.

Offline yoter250

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »
thanks gearhead i will try that and see how it goes. :tup: I started using more howling and i got my buddy his first double thanks everyone!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »
 :rockin: Congrats. Vocals is what kills this time of year. If you are using a mouth call as well or just a elec call. Make sure you learn female welcome/greeting howls. There is a few good videos on youtube.

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
NICE WORK.....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal