collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: can you hear me now!  (Read 740 times)

Offline Seatown5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
can you hear me now!
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »
This is kind of a tough question to word, especially because there are so many variables.  when you here a turkey gobble off in the distance, about how far do you think it is. I'm talking one of those faint gobbles that you barely hear. They seem miles away, but I'm guessing they are much closer than I might think.  How far can the average human hear in that type of terrain. My experience in the past have been that they seem a mile away, so you try and make ground, next thing you know they are right on top of you. 
If it looks fishy, fish it. If it doesn't look fishy, fish it anyway!

Online baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: can you hear me now!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:32:51 AM »
You're right about that being a tough question to answer-so many variables.  Are you thinking on the roost, or after they are on the ground?  Obviously the terrain makes a big difference, but I've found that it's always safe to think they are a lot closer than you first think.  If they're on the ground and you're calling, keep in mind they could be moving quickly towards you without further calling.  I've made the mistake of moving towards an answering call only to walk into them as they came to me silently. If you're calling it's best to stop moving when they answer and wait to move again until  you be be pretty certain where they are at and if they are coming towards you, give them at least 10-15 minutes before you move-very common for birds to come in silently after only answering back one or two times and then going silent. They can cover a lot of ground very quickly if they want.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Re: can you hear me now!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »
Depends on location and vegetation.  Open country with Rio's and to a lesser extent Merriam's as an example in Klickitat on side ridges ...close to what would be a pretty good distance.  Have had them 1/2 to 1 mile in some cases.

Merriam's in normal open timber country...again varies....real close to a couple hundred yards or more depending on elevation and open areas.

In western Washington if you're on a similar level, not up high above a bird, it's likely you're very close to within a a hundred yards or so max.  The vegetation on the wet side eats up the sound.  If you're curious, go out with a buddy and slowly separate and call loudly to each other.  It will surprise you just how close you have to be to hear each other in that dense stuff.  That's one reason folks have a hard time getting interested in chasing western Washington Easterns.....you don't hear them so you doubt they are there.  Key with them is hunting droppings.  If you hear birds regularly, it's a bonus.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]