collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Jambalaya and Gumbo thread  (Read 5649 times)

Offline merkaba93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: The Jambalaya and Gumbo thread
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »
So funny thing, I had to google what Bump meant. You'd think given my age I'd be more in tune with the terminology. Oh well.

Here is my other cajun recipe I use most. It's odd how it doesn't need to use spices. If you take your time and make the roux right it has a lot of depth of flavor on its own.

Duck Gumbo
Take 4 breasts of duck (think divers or wigeon) and dice. Heat 1 tbs vegetable oil and sear the duck breast until browned and then add a mixture of red wine and chicken stock until the meat is almost covered. Bring to a summer and braise for 2 hours or until fork tender.
While the duck is braising. Heat 1 cup veg oil over med heat and add 2 cups flour. Whisk constantly the roux until you get a dark chocolate color. About 20 min, be sure to not stop whisking for very long or you will scorch the flour. Then add 4 diced onions, 1 cup diced celery, 2 diced green bell peppers,  2 tbs fresh thyme, 2 tbs fresh oregano leaves cook for 4 min. Then add 3 quarts chicken stock (or homemade duck/wild bird stock). Simmer on low for 2 hrs.
Remove duck meat from braising liquid and discard liquid. Add duck meat to gumbo and serve with some rice and green onions.
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »
I lived down south for a bit and picked up a fever for the cooking. You would be hard pressed to find a recipe without the trilogy-celery, onion and green pepper.  All recipes has some quick and dirty ones.  http://allrecipes.com/recipes/soups-stews-and-chili/jambalaya/top.aspx

Cool site!  :tup:

Offline Dtray332

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 08:04:39 AM »
Bringing an old thread back. Merkaba93 is 100% correct about Roux. The roux will make or break your gumbo. The golden rules to making a good roux is that you never leave it unattended and never stop stirring or whisking. Roux will burn in a heart beat. Once it is warm and starts to cook, you need to constantly stir it. In the event you over cook it or even a hint of burning it, throw it out and start over. Once your roux has reached that nice dark chocolate color, get you hot liquid (water, broth or stock) into the roux to stop the cooking process. You want to make sure your liquid is hot. I usually have mine at a simmer. If the liquid is cold, you roux will turn to a gel and lump up. If you are looking for a good Cajun Cook book, check out "Talk About Good". It is a collection of recipes from the people down in the bayou. Funny thing is, a few of the recipes are from my Uncle and a few other family members. I grew up just south of Houma Louisiana. Was there for the first 18 years of my life until I joined the Army, now I'm retired and living up here in the PNW.
It's only trouble if you get caught. Otherwise it is an adventure.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]