collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: what has Ducks Unlimited done for you?  (Read 46693 times)

Offline Stilly bay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
Re: what has Ducks Unlimited done for you?
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
West side pheasant hunters pay $90 ish for their brief two month long pheasant season? .

Isnt that $90 cost to help cover the cost of pen raised, grain fed, realeased pets they get to shoot???

The state doesnt "Raise & release" ducks.

NOOOOOOO Ned, the point I was trying to get across is that West side pheasant hunters  pay a ridiculously priced fee for a license because they see it pay off every weekend when they shoot pheasants.
if duck hunters could be promised a huge improvement in  duck hunting opportunities (public access, food plots, ect) I am sure they would be more willing to support a massive increase in licensing.

no where did i suggest put n take duck hunting, that would be hell.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Ned

• Hunter
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »
West side pheasant hunters pay $90 ish for their brief two month long pheasant season? .

Isnt that $90 cost to help cover the cost of pen raised, grain fed, realeased pets they get to shoot???

NOOOOOOO Ned, the point I was trying to get across is that West side pheasant hunters  pay a ridiculously priced fee for a license because they see it pay off every weekend when they shoot pheasants.
if duck hunters could be promised a huge improvement in  duck hunting opportunities (public access, food plots, ect) I am sure they would be more willing to support a massive increase in licensing.

The high price for the chicken punchcard was to cover the cost of pen raised, released to shoot/catch birds....................not abouit improving the hunt.
If a higher priced duck stamp helped provide better hunting spots for duck hunters but please dont try and compare to the chicken permit prices, its apples to oranges.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »
I actually went to the Lake Terrell headquarters and volunteered to sit in the cab of the john deere to do some field work that is sorely needed in a reseed program that has went by the wayside since the old manager Tom Reed(a big time waterfowl supporter/sportsman)retired,he was always all over reseeding the food plots as waterfowl was one of his passions along with archery hunting for elk.As has been mentioned those with a passion go farther than their "JOB" in their job.I was told thank you but fuel and seed were not in the budget.I'm a farm raised kid so it wasn't because I don't know how to giter done.I think the fields could benefit from a strip management replanting myself if the funds aren't available for a complete redo.Heck ol Tom was instrumental in the waterfowl habitat improvement on the Intalco area that flooded many acres of land that never held water and he also used to plant feed strips over there as well that were pretty good pheasant hunting opportunities that supplied the dumb chickens with something to eat.Tom played a big role in the marietta project as well if I remember right.Great steward for waterfowl he was.

The waterfowlers of this state definetely lost a great resource when Tom Reed retired! I only met the man one time, but it was a great experience. He was extremely helpful. Terrell was a great place to hunt back then.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:29 PM »

The high price for the chicken punchcard was to cover the cost of pen raised, released to shoot/catch birds....................not abouit improving the hunt.
If a higher priced duck stamp helped provide better hunting spots for duck hunters but please dont try and compare to the chicken permit prices, its apples to oranges.

once again you miss my point, if you want to take this into PM I will explain it to you, but please quit unraveling this thread, there has been a lot of good info so far and little squabbling.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
Slightly off topic but I feel it needs to be mentioned that the 90 fee for chicken ticket is the same as it ever was,a small game license is not required for wetside chickens.It used to be required with the 42 dollar 8 bird punchcard and that equaled close to 90 bucks when both were purchased.

Offline passhooter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »
Ask many of the clubs around Moses Lake what they think of DU. They do help the clubs and I strongly disagree with many of their practices.

Offline DR. DUX

• Tracker
  • Groups: Whole bunches
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »
Which clubs and how did they help? Did DU pay for it or did the club owner?I'm interested in this as I know most the club owners around Moses Lake down to the Tri-Cities and up through Yakima. I'm also pretty familiar with a lot of the DU, inter mountain joint venture, NRCS, and NC projects done in WA.

So which clubs?

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2013, 09:58:29 AM »
I can't understand the selfishness of a hunter who thinks that doing things to improve the habitat and numbers of their prey isn't a direct enough benefit to them. I support DU for that reason alone. Habitat protection is everything.

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »
A littl elate to the party but....
In my neck of the woods the blinds out at Belfair were built with DU dollarsand volunteers.
NOT WDFW dollars and volunteers.

Plus, they are like the NRA in that they silently have a huge say in Washington D.C. to help fight for out hunting rights and conservation.

and...  well, I could go off all day on this subject, BUT....
I get your initial point. Its not allways evident to the individual how impactful they have been.

oh... maybe I could point out that they practically single handidly brought duck numbers up from hunting limit of 4 a day in washington back in the 90's to 7 a day in washington now.
THAT should be enough that you notice.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]