collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: what has Ducks Unlimited done for you?  (Read 46702 times)

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
Re: what has Ducks Unlimited done for you?
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2013, 09:33:23 PM »
  Most people seem to think that they are a HUNTING organization. They are not. What DU is, is a CONSERVATION organization. They are not in the business of making hunting spots. They are in the business of making ducks. Period. That is their focus. They secure and grow habitat so that ducks can survive. 
Full Choke, this insight of yours is exactly right. 

It seems that those who have a problem with DU are judging the organization according to how their own personal hunting opportunities have been affected by DU projects and activities. 

I am not primarily interested in what DU does for me - rather, I am interested in what DU does for duck populations across North America.  It is not about us and what we want for ourselves - it's about habitat conservation and the ducks. 

Ducks need nesting habitat even more than they need staging areas along their migratory routes.  It is the staging areas that people (mostly) hunt.  But springtime nesting habitat is the primary limiting factor to overall duck populations.  Therefore, it is better for the ducks if DU puts their resources into managing habitat for spring nesting, and not the fall staging areas that produce hunting opportunities.

That is all well, but when DU orchestrates flooding two popular WDFW walk in duck and pheasant spots with salt water all in the name of more salmon for the indians to sell we got a problem. There are now few ducks, less hunters, and no ducks nesting. The average Joe public land hunter is screwed all in the name of politics. This is what this thread is about :twocents:

And again- the phone call you need to make about that is to Olympia. DU didn't just decide to go change that property. They were brought in. YOUR DFW wanted the change.

Many of us did call, and every DFW personel including the managers of the area were against it.

It's all about the salmon anymore which IMO is just a complete waste of time and money on top of hunting loss. They want more salmon but continue stretch gill nets across the mouth of the river :rolleyes:

I made many a phone call and sent many emails and letters to our WDFW concerning the Nisqually project only to be told 'they had no real involvement'.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline Stilly bay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
so now its been over a thousand views and this is the best representation for DU on this forum. one person who works for DU and one person who is doesn't support them that strongly and one person with a free duck call. It would seem there have to be many more DU members out there to put me in my place and set me straight, where is everyone?

when its time to renew your DU membership, write your checks to WWA.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
Nothing, not even sure what it is though :)
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »

they are one of the largest suppliers of stickers and decals  to the duck hunting community... they also do some work in conservation I hear.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2013, 10:49:04 PM »

they are one of the largest suppliers of stickers and decals  to the duck hunting community... they also do some work in conservation I hear.
I don't care if you are for or against DU, but that was funny  :chuckle:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 10:51:29 PM »

Made me snort......      :chuckle:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »

Yeah if that don't just say it all! too frickin funny right there Stilly :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Ned

• Hunter
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »

when its time to renew your DU membership, write your checks to WWA.

WWA is GREAT for local projects and areas to hunt.
The projects DU do up north (Boreal forrest, northern canada) provide birds that MIGRATE to our state and winter in the areas WWA provide.

Do yourself a favor and support both :twocents:
That way DU can provide birds to migrate to your WWA hunting places so you can shoot a few.

From Reading all your reasons to not like DU it seems your biggest problem with them is they eliminated a few areas for you to shoot pen raised, release site ditch chickens.
Remember, they are DU not PU.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:21:26 PM by Ned »

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 04:29:27 PM »
From Reading all your reasons to not like DU it seems your biggest problem with them is they eliminated a few areas for you to shoot pen raised, release site ditch chickens.
Remember, they are DU not PU.

I think the main complaint here is the elimination of wdfw public walk in areas for duck hunters and phez hunters on the wet side. In these cases DU seems to be more for the salmon than the duck. Ducks need fresh water to prolificate not saltwater. The only critter here that wins is the salmon and I seriously don't think bringing back more estuaries should be first in line for saving the salmon :twocents:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »
There is NO perfect "national" "international" organization.  :twocents: You have a few things at odds with an organization like DU. Like many Nonprofits they like to "partner" with other organizations so that their amount of acreage is increased, making them seem more effective. Like a few here have pointed out Most of their WW work has been in conjunction with salmon efforts, and private owners, not really helping hunters.

Non profits actually NEED to pull in some big bucks, and they make a great amount of cash in doing so. I would argue that other  nonprofits hope and pray for some issue to pop up and rally the troops so that they have a fundraiser opportunity. Sound like any other Wildlife Nonprofit? Sounds like the RMEF to me, on the wolf issue...

I think when you keep your membership local you have more control of the QUALITY of the work, and with a National organization you get QUANITY.  :twocents:

I was once a DU member and then quit national after the headquarters unit getting destroyed. I no longer give money to National Organizations they don't seem to represent me.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
Look to the sky to see what ducks unlimited has done,more targets to shoot at,in the mid 70's it was a rarity to see honkers either greater or lessers,now they are so thick they have to be "Relocated" or ran off with dogs from local lakes.The conservation takes place on the breeding grounds,local projects give them a draw to layover,feed and rest before they press on the rest of the way south for winter,saltwater works for that,improving salmon habitat is not a bad thing as a second result,if the second result was improving habitat for pheasants there wouldn't be as much sniveling would there,projects in the prarie region benefit upland game as bycatch,Fact of the matter is that those chicken release sites never held native birds to start with,in whatcom county the release sites did at one time harbor a native population of upland birds,pheasants and grouse.

The only problem I have is when DU money gets granted to enhance a very wealthy persons  private property for the sake of a private hunting club and it's justified as "habitat" enhancement.I beleive you skagit county fellas know what I'm referring too.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
 :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

once again, no denying the conservation standpoint and the fact that they have helped the duck population. this has nothing to do with pheasants or release sites, it has everything to do with public land duck hunters losing public land to hunt and that it seems like many DU supporters have no idea DU is taking away their hunting areas and putting extra stress other area. more ducks are fantastic but people need a place to hunt them.

maybe I shouldn't have mentioned pheasant release sites in my OP, since many are getting so hung up on it.  :bash: if you quit your pissing and moaning about pheasant hunters and totally remove them from the equation, then you still have duck hunters losing public hunting opportunities.

it all boils down to this: if a DU rep solicited you to join their cause and said " we are all about ducks and conservation, not so much about duck hunting or duck hunters even though our banquets, merchandise and magazine really make us look like we are about the hunter.   the hunters we do cater to are those with large bank accounts or private duck clubs. we also alter or restore public lands which many times has a very negative effect on the hunting or eliminates it all together"

would you sign up? would you hesitate? or would you start asking questions and look elsewhere?

― Jim Harrison

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 08:25:57 PM »
water retention ponds in urban areas with no hunting is a HUGE reason for the comeback of honkers. Sorry wildweeds but i can't give that credit to DU... just troll thought the auburn valley or fife and see all the honkers grazing like cattle in protected areas that allow no hunting. I have a buddy that killed a 20+ lb honker last year becasue he found a place to hunt in this "urban" area... DU had nothing to do with it...  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Ned

• Hunter
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
water retention ponds in urban areas with no hunting is a HUGE reason for the comeback of honkers. Sorry wildweeds but i can't give that credit to DU... just troll thought the auburn valley or fife and see all the honkers grazing like cattle in protected areas that allow no hunting. I have a buddy that killed a 20+ lb honker last year becasue he found a place to hunt in this "urban" area... DU had nothing to do with it...  :twocents:

Please tell us how these no hunting areas "Produce" the honkers you see feeding like cattle???
Also, what percentage of the geese you see in these fields are actually "Honkers"?
Very few migratory honkers in washington, most are Tavs, cacklers and lessors with a few duskies, aleutians and vancouvers in the mix.
If you are going to claim "I cant give that to DU" please use facts not your personal opinions and expect us to buy it..................some of us actually know the facts and the fact is "DU helps produce birds for you to shoot"
They are a habitat/conservation org that produce birds by means of nesting/breeding, resting and feeding areas.
If you want to help support a local place to hunt, support WWA.

Like I said in a earlier post................support BOTH, it will help you in the long run.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
what has Ducks Unlimited done for you?
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 07:16:03 AM »

Had me until you mentioned the mythical 20 pounder.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal