collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colton south of pullman deer  (Read 11249 times)

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
Re: Colton south of pullman deer
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 10:01:53 PM »
"490 on the run" :o :o Alot of luck or is that common practice? :dunno:

LOL.  Obviously a LOT of luck.  Although I have killed several 'yotes on the run at 450+ - longest at 585.  Don't kid yourself, I have missed a lot of those shots too!  I killed a deer in idaho at 540 yards, but that was with a rangefinder and the deer was standing broadside.  This big mule deer at 490 was a reaction shot - huge deer running over hill....boom, dead buck.   Probably shouldn't have taken the shot but it is led to my widest WA buck. :) :)

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 10:05:17 PM »
That wasnt meant to be an attack by the way. I was just curious if you could shoot the lights out. Some guys can. Sounds like you sure can! I cannot and I know it.  :chuckle:

I have scared coyotes at 500 but that is it.  :chuckle:

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 10:16:36 PM »
Yeah, didn't want to sound like a blowhard.  I grew up in Whitman County and shot 4-5 days/week my whole life growing up.  I remember the first day that it "clicked" with running shots - it was a great feeling.  A lot of my buddies will ask "where were you holding?"  I always say "I can't remember?".  I equate it to shooting a basketball or throwing a football.  You don't have a rangefinder, you "see" and "feel" the shot.    With coyotes, I will usually let them run through the cross hairs once and practice or get a feel for the shot, the second time around I depress the trigger and more times than not, kill the dog.  I also always shoot on 16x.  I am able to find animals quickly from 50-xxx yards and it provides a range estimation based on how the deer/yote looks in the scope and gives me more confindence with longer shots.  JJ

Offline zackmioli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 08:26:40 AM »
Ill be about 10 miles from the breaks in the union flat creek area going after whities. the occassional muley will wander into the area when they get pushed too hard. last year we also had a couple elk run onto the property we were hunting.

i was pushing a thick brush patch and all of a sudden it looked and sounded like a bomb went off! scared the hell outta me i thought i had stumbled onto the biggest deer ever at first!!! then i got a glimpse and realized they were F#^@*N elk! haha :yike:

Offline Moosehunt

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 08:56:02 AM »
Been hunting the Palouse and Snake River breaks for 19 years.  Have usually taken whitetails with an occasional mulie over the years.  Worried about bluetongue this year from earlier reports on a different post.  Biggest Whitey to date is a 19 inch non-typical 5x3 in the rut when you had a late season.  Started hunting there when it was any buck while at Wazzu.  Be patient, glass a ton and you will see deer and have opportunities. 

Is your property around Rimrock Rd?  Perhaps Steptoe Canyon or Nisqually John....don't forget that there is a road at the bottom from Wawaii Canyon down to Lewiston.......which encompasses the colton area breaks.

Offline mkcj

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
I noticed the road below on google earth so there is the option of dragging down right? I really hope it works out my 13 y/o really wants to get a deer this year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]