collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where to hunt? Dad is flying across country  (Read 4026 times)

Offline flashover52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Where to hunt? Dad is flying across country
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:48:37 PM »
While I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to share their secret spots, I'm trying to figure out the best GMU to hunt for general firearms season this coming fall on the westside. I grew up out east hunting whitetail and finally talked my dad into skipping the trip to his cabin in NH to come out elk hunting. I'd like to find a location where we would at least see an elk; so he will feel like it was worth the out of state license fee.

I did some scouting last year during deer season but with a new kid at home and a wife that works on weekends, I haven't had a chance to get out in the woods. In talking with some folks locally, it sounds like Siouxon (572) and Lewis River (560) have some pockets with a few elk herds. They also said they've hunted those areas for years and the numbers seem to have dwindled with little luck the past few years.

I live in Vancouver but would be willing to head north towards Mossyrock (505) or Winston (520) with the camper for a week if the odds would be better.

My goal would be to find some location I can park the truck and ride a mtn. bike in for at least several more miles. I've searched the WDFW website for the kill reports last year and management reports of the various hunting units but the only thing I've found is several years old. That information dosn't seem to be too useful if the timber companies have been in an area clear cutting and modifying the habitat.

Any suggestions fellow forum members might have as to areas to consider researching some more, I would appreciate it. I've already bought a few topo maps of the local units to get acquainted with the terrain.

Thanks.

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
Re: Where to hunt? Dad is flying across country
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »
Battleground unit 564 has either sex elk and deer. It's a firearm restriction (shotgun only) But, it's in your backyard and animals are taken all the time. 

2006 harvest reports are finally done and has all the info for general and special permit seasons.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/harvest/2006/index.htm
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
Re: Where to hunt? Dad is flying across country
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 04:22:06 PM »
If you are looking for Rosies SW Washington is the place to be. Any of those units that border I5 should offer a reasonable chance to get an animal.

Keep and eye out at the news stand as the season gets closer because Fishing and Hunting News is almost guaranteed to have an article listing all the top producing units down your way. This information is exactly what they post on the WDFW website though so you can start your research now.

In my personal experience the timber company lands have plenty of elk plus plenty of hunters so the trick is to find some locked gates and/or isolated pockets where the elk manage to hole up away from people.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]