collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The absurdity of WDFW draw system  (Read 73000 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
The absurdity of WDFW draw system
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »
Want to really increase your odds, change OIL back to fronting your app.   $2500 a pop.   They hold onto it until June and issue a refund, all but $50 fee.   They get interest off of all of it.   Be serious or need not apply.   This letting everyone have a shot at 7 bucks a pop, you will be LUCKY if its OIL.
I don't disagree with fronting, but I do disagree with fronting $2500. Front the money it costs to buy the tag. People who don't have that kind of expendable cash should not be penalized and not be able to apply. I know I wouldn't have that money to tie up.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline judojudd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Get me outside. Now.
Re: The absurdity of WDFW draw system
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »
Snowpack, I know that guy. I'd say he's a lucky SOB but he's actually a guy who spends a TON of time in the woods AND is quite lucky.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
I thought that was about ballpark for Idaho and Colorado now.   I'll have to look.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
I thought you were talking about here in Washington, Doug.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »
Well that would make more sense.  I think it was about 800-1000 here before they went to this system.   You are right, I am used to dealng with non resident prices, which Colroado is 1955.00 this year plus a conservation permit, so close to 2 grand.   ....Idaho 2102.00 plus non refundable license  150 something??? 

If it meant I might have a chance to draw a goat or sheep tag though, I'd make an effort for $2500

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »
Could go out and look for poachers, and start racking up the points.  I heard about a guy that caught three elk poachers on the eastside over a few years and got 30 points toward quality bull.   

I bet he got a sheriff badge sticker to wear for his efforts

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »
Could go out and look for poachers, and start racking up the points.  I heard about a guy that caught three elk poachers on the eastside over a few years and got 30 points toward quality bull.   

I bet he got a sheriff badge sticker to wear for his efforts
Nope...he got 30 bonus points.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »
Too many hunters + too few elk = bad draw system, regardless of how it is structured.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »
I like the idea of fronting some kind of fee, and would probably be in favor of more restrictive general seasons with more permits. Plus, you could further restrict the number of units you could put in for at a time, which would limit the competition pool in any one unit.

Offline BnB

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 12:12:49 PM »
This is just my opinion and I'm sure most will disagree but i would like to see the elk seasons go back to the way it was and not all that long ago. Somewhat like Idaho is. You buy a area tag and that is where you hunt and apply for permits in. Buy a Blues tag and apply there and hunt there also if you don't draw. Used to be a Westside, Yakima, Blue Mtn, Colockum area tag and I think there was a North east tag for a time also.  It might, might, lower the number of apps in certain area's  and lower the number of years it takes to draw a quality tag in some units.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
NE tag fell under the Clock I believe.   Twisp area did I know.   
I think I also could go for that.  Made you think when you bought your tag, thats for sure

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »
Idaho has the best draw odds in the country, if you want good odds, copy their system.  :tup:

I pray they don't change their system. :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »
A-MEN!

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
Idaho has the best draw odds in the country, if you want good odds, copy their system.  :tup:

I pray they don't change their system. :twocents:

Word is that it died this morning :tup:

Offline SI Eagle

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
I like the Oregon system. Why not give 90% of the tags w/ the guys with the most points?  You know going in if you have a realistic chance of drawing and you can plan accordingly. If it takes to many points (years) to draw then you put in for a easier tag. There should be no complaints if you know it is going to take 17 years (I have 17 points) to draw. I don't like the fact that I have been putting in for that many years (for all species) and every year I get a Dear John letter. Just doesn't seem to be fair when you wait that long and someone has drawn the same permit 2 or 3 times. Washington easily has the worst system.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal