collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Toxic broadheads! Look awesome!  (Read 18148 times)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Toxic broadheads! Look awesome!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
Are they even legal here in Washington?

Don't see how they would be illegal in the state. Not barbed and legal in dimensions. :dunno:  I am certainly not encouraging their use though.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
Junk .... :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline bow-n-head

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 07:50:31 PM »
I would guess they would have a penetration problem on hair hyde and bone. Not for me....Unless I am going strictly for milk jugs :tup:

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Frontiersman
Toxic broadheads! Look awesome!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »
Shuttle T-Lock has proven unparalleled  results for me on elk, bear, deer and seen it first hand on Moose!! 

Offline worldsworsthunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
They look like they would make a good turkey broadhead.

Offline lilswab

• Hunter
    • LimbSaver
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »
Lots of opinions here, but since nobody has even tried the Toxic Broadhead including myself then we are all just speculating.

So since we are all freinds let me tell you what I do know.   :twocents:

I have actually looked at the head at the ATA show this year in Louisville, Kentucky.

They are legal in for use in Washington State.  Not barbed and over the minimum cutting diameter of 7/8"
I had a long conversation with Chris Rager (inventor/owner) and his son about the effectiveness of the head and from the sounds of it the Toxic head has some good merits. Massive meat worms for devastating wounds.

My first thought was the penetration would be horrible especailly for bad shots.  After talking to Chris and dicussing what the blades do when they hit bone or a rib and there is some sound science behind it. The blades actually move around the bone.  In my unexpert opionnion in would love to try them on a deer to SEE for myself before I write them off as the latest gimmick.

I look at archery like this.  Todays latest gimmick is tomorrows MUST have...like Rage Broadheads, The Fall-Away Arrow Rest, Lighted Nocks, Scent Killer, and more.

I am not saying the Toxic will replace my Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Locks, but what I am saying is don't knock the Toxic Broadhead until you have tried it.   :twocents:
Aim small...miss small

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »
thing is, because the same concept has been around for over 30 years, it HAS been tried... a lot.  and they've all been dismissed because of the poor performance.  my dad has one from the late 70's.  he said it was the worst broadhead he's ever shot. 

now, perhaps with today's faster bows they'd be ok?  he was shooting them out of recurves and the first generation of compounds.  but i gotta say, why mess with what works?

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 01:59:44 PM »
Yep, believe everything that Chris Rager has to say!  Why not?  His Rocket broadheads along with the Punch Cutter are the reason none of the western states will allow the use of the Rage.  He also was so smart he tried to sue all expandable broadhead manufacturers until he found out his patent was worthless due to prior art.  So obviously his knowledge of external and terminal ballistics is only second to his research abilities.

Remember this phrase from the movie The Jerk, "Well, as long as we have a voucher!"  :o

What part of a broadhead actually makes it lethal?  Why?  What actually makes a broadhead fly well?  Why?  How does penetration and over penetration apply to the interaction with the target?  Why?  What are the benefits of prolonged coagulation?  Why?  What happens to the animal in a nonlethal broadhead strike with each blade style?  Why?  Are their benefits to forcing air into a circle at high speed?  Why?  What happens when you stimulate blood platlets?  Why?  What are the two most common stimulants of blood platlets?  Why?  Do the benefits of so called "Meat Worms" outweigh the negatives?  Why?

Sorry, but the Toxic spin doesn't change the science.  And the sales spin doesn't answers those questions in a comprehensive scientific manner.  Testing should be done to support the application of proven science.  Not to hopefully prove that conjecture and supposition might have some element of truth.  So as I see it the only "Speculating" being done is by those believing there is, or might be, a benefit to this type of design. 

Myself? I will stick with my straight, super sharp, edge maintaining, proven science, and historically superior blades that prolong coagulation and lead to the quick recovery of the animal.  And in the event I make a bad nonlethal hit I can find some comfort in the fact the wound will heal with a low risk of infection and minimal impact on the animal.  Meaning I will never ever shoot a Toxic.

Offline npaull

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 07:37:32 PM »
They appear to have achieved the remarkable task of violating essentially every principle of a good broadhead at once.

Offline SGTDuffman

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
These will go the way of the Browning Serpentine that preceded them by 40 years. Until someone comes out with something that can out penetrate a 2 blade, I'll be sticking with what I've got.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 08:16:10 AM »
It's almost hunting season again so many will be looking at new broadheads. I had a friend ask about these and I told him what Radsav thought about them  :chuckle:. It would probably be a good thing if anyone interested in these read this post before purchasing...
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 09:07:51 AM »
Well lucky for you all I can offer some real world experience on these. A buddy and I split the cost of a pack to "try out". Let's just say they never made it out of the backyard archery range. We shot them out of both of our bows at a rinehardt block target. We were less than impressed. Out of my bow I lost about a third of the penetration compared to my steel force heads. My buddy lost about a quarter of the penetration compared to his muzzy's. They look cool, but that's about as far as they go.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »
Maybe if Radsavs broad heads would ever be done people wouldn't have to shoot toxics  :chuckle:  :peep:

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
I feel for him.  He works his butt off and can't get his stuff on time.   :bash: :bash:  I am sure he will be willing to chime in on how impressed he is with the quality of the Toxic.   I actually sent a pic to Rad of the Toxic heads and he didnt even respond.  Lol enough said.  :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
Anger has turned to indifference at this point.  It will happen when it's right or I run out of money.  Shouldn't be too long for either!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:48:34 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter