collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: NRA Action Alert - Tell the House Rules Committee No on HB 1588  (Read 13135 times)

Offline Hunter4Life

• supreme predator, hunter, carnivore, political animal, warrior for hunter's rights
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Groups: HHC, WWC, Hunting Works for Washington, SCI, Sportsmen's Alliance, NRA
NRA Action Alert - Tell the House Rules Committee No on HB 1588
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:19:40 PM »
Today HB 1588, legislation that could criminalize private sales of firearms and lead to handgun registration, was amended and reported by the House Judiciary Committee by a 7-6 vote.  HB 1588 is now headed to the House Rules Committee before going to the floor of the state House of Representatives. It is imperative that you contact your state Representatives and the members of the House Rules Committee TODAY and urge them to oppose HB 1588.

I received the automated blast to send this out but was also contacted by one of the members of the NRA lobby team.  This bill has to be killed.  It is a tough fight with the Democrats holding a 15 - 10 edge on the committee, and most of the Democrats are very liberal anti-gun type.  If the 10 Republicans hold, that means we need to flip three Democrats.  Kevin Van De Wege sits on this committee and while he has been 100% anti-hunting, he has been fairly pro-gun to the tune of a B- rating.  Van De Wege represents a rural, pro-gun constituency, so he needs to be hit hard.  Email the legislators on the Hose Rules Committee today.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/House/Committees/RUL/Pages/MembersStaff.aspx
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:00:55 AM by Hunter4Life »
If guns kill people, then…
- pencils misspell words.
- cars make people drive drunk.
- spoons made Rosie O’Donnell fat.

Offline huntrights

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
Re: NRA Action Alert - Tell the House Rules Committee No on HB 1588
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:39:45 PM »
Please contact the House Rules Committee and urge them to oppose HB1588.

Also, please contact your state Representatives TODAY and respectfully express your opposition to House Bill 1588 (You can use the same message sent to the House Rules Committee).

http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

Please take action and pass this on to others.

Copy and paste option below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Copy and paste the email addresses for the House Rules Committee:

frank.chopp@leg.wa.gov; richard.debolt@leg.wa.gov; cathy.dahlquist@leg.wa.gov; susan.fagan@leg.wa.gov; tami.green@leg.wa.gov; jeff.holy@leg.wa.gov; norm.johnson@leg.wa.gov; linda.kochmar@leg.wa.gov; joel.kretz@leg.wa.gov; marko.liias@leg.wa.gov; chad.magendanz@leg.wa.gov; marcie.maxwell@leg.wa.gov; jim.moeller@leg.wa.gov; terry.nealey@leg.wa.gov; tina.orwall@leg.wa.gov; eric.pettigrew@leg.wa.gov; chris.reykdal@leg.wa.gov; maryhelen.roberts@leg.wa.gov; cindy.ryu@leg.wa.gov; david.sawyer@leg.wa.gov; larry.springer@leg.wa.gov; pat.sullivan@leg.wa.gov; gael.tarleton@leg.wa.gov; kevin.vandewege@leg.wa.gov; jt.wilcox@leg.wa.gov

Copy and paste the message or create your own:

Subject:

Please oppose HB1588 - An ACT relating to Requiring Universal Background Checks

Dear House Rules Committee:

I am writing today to respectfully ask that you oppose House Bill 1588 - An ACT relating to requiring universal background checks for firearm transfers.

Those who urge passage of so-called “universal background checks” fail to grasp the fundamental truth that this will only affect law-abiding citizens and not criminals. Criminals do not obey the law in the first place.

HB 1588 could criminalize all private sales of firearms. This bill mandates a $20 fee (tax) to conduct a background check.  All private firearm sales would be required to be brokered by licensed gun dealers and it is unlikely that $20 would cover their cost.  A likely outcome is dealers refusing to process these transactions, potentially bringing all legal private firearm sales to a halt.

If HB1588 was able to be implemented as drafted, it would create a database of all privately sold handguns since ALL dealer handgun deliveries are registered with the state.

This bill is nothing more than a regulatory scheme that would create a huge burden for law-abiding citizens, would be unenforceable, and would be ignored by criminals anyway. It is truly nothing more than a precursor to Universal Firearm REGISTRATION!

Washington currently has strong background check requirements in place. Furthermore, it is already a felony for any private person to sell, trade, give, lend, rent or transfer a gun to a person they know or should have known is not legally allowed to own, purchase or possess a firearm.

Please put a stop to these unprecedented and unjustified attacks on guns and law-abiding gun owners which do nothing to curb violence or prevent criminals from carrying out their malevolent deeds.  Imposing a barrage of useless gun-control regulations and laws onto law-abiding citizens will do nothing but whittle away at our liberty, rights, and freedoms we have fought so hard to obtain and keep.

Sincerely,

[Your contact information]

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:15:19 PM by jshunt »

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:02:32 AM »
done
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
Keep writing and calling these Representatives; they have obviously fallen for the gun-control propaganda or are part of the source.

Reply from Rep. Tarleton:

"I appreciate you taking the time to write about your concerns regarding gun rights in this state and House Bill 1588, which would require universal background checks. Following the tragic events at Newtown, Connecticut and the long list of killings prior to that, I strongly believe we must do more in this country to protect our children and society as a whole. We cannot continue postponing this issue, and I hope to see substantial reforms during this legislative session.

I have received many e-mails and phone calls from constituents on both sides of House Bill 1588, and I greatly appreciate hearing your opinion.  But after much consideration, I have come to the conclusion that we should require background checks for anyone purchasing a gun and eliminate the gun show loophole, because it will help our state become an even safer place to live.

Thank you again for your e-mail. I hope you will continue to let me know your concerns, so that I can better represent you.

Sincerely,

Representative Gael Tarleton
36th District –Space Needle, Monorail, Ballard Locks, Discovery Park, Gates Foundation, MOHAI, Fishermen’s Terminal, Shilshole Bay Marina, the Cruise Ships!
Washington State House
John L O’Brien 334
(360) 786-7860
Committtees: Higher Education, Rules, Technology&Economic Development, Transportation"

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »
Is this legislation still in rules committee? I just heard that a gun control bill passed out of committee and is before the full house. I think it was this bill? Do we need to be sending messages to the full house now?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:01 AM »
done

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
done
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Windwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
Done- Thanks for all the copy and paste info- makes it fast and easy
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »
Is this legislation still in rules committee? I just heard that a gun control bill passed out of committee and is before the full house. I think it was this bill? Do we need to be sending messages to the full house now?

It moved from the House Judiciary Committee to the House Rules Committee according to the NRA-ILA.  We need to keep the pressure up.

Offline arees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, SCI, NRA
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »
Here is my email, I am running out of politeness.

I am writing today to respectfully ask that you oppose House Bill 1588 - An ACT relating to requiring universal background checks for firearm transfers.

This email will also act as a hypocrisy check.  Any lawmaker who responds with a reference to Newtown will be clearly identified as a hypocrite.  There is nothing in this bill which, if enacted in Connecticut prior to Newtown, would have had any impact on that tragedy.

This bill will have no impact on:
   1) Mentally deficient shooters who have had no previous criminal record.
   2) Crimes of passion committed by shooters with no previous criminal record.
   3) Crimes committed by career criminals who will simply purchase firearms through illegal channels.
   4) Firearms purchased by the mentally ill because these records are universally not reported to the background check database.

Those who urge passage of so-called “universal background checks” fail to grasp the fundamental truth that this will only affect law-abiding citizens and not criminals. Criminals do not obey the law in the first place.

HB 1588 is nothing more than a headline grab by law makers that have nothing productive to contribute and no understanding of the sources of firearms used in crimes.

If you support this bill and have any integrity, please respond with "I am just grabbing headlines and don't care about effective legislation."
We need a crusade for the children, a children's crusade.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »
I called the Second Amendment Foundation.  SAF OPPOSES HB 1588
My email to 97.3-

Good morning,

This morning on Luke Burbanks show, he had a guest on that misrepresented (I believe intentionally) the Second Amendment Foundation as supporting HB 1588.  Which requires background checks on private firearm sales.  You can reach the Second Amendment Foundation at (425)454-7012

There is an attempt to make background checks sound like they are supported by the gun community.  There is no way that HB 1588 can be enforced without requiring gun registration.  We in the firearm community realize that historically gun nregistration is the first step to confiscation.
Outlaws will not be effected by this legislation.  This bill will do nothing to prevent crime.

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »
My email to 97.3-

Good morning,

This morning on Luke Burbanks show, he had a guest on that misrepresented (I believe intentionally) the Second Amendment Foundation as supporting HB 1588.  Which requires background checks on private firearm sales.  You can reach the Second Amendment Foundation at (425)454-7012

There is an attempt to make background checks sound like they are supported by the gun community.  There is no way that HB 1588 can be enforced without requiring gun registration.  We in the firearm community realize that historically gun nregistration is the first step to confiscation.
Outlaws will not be effected by this legislation.  This bill will do nothing to prevent crime.

Gun control proponents are trying to propogate the illusion that the majority of people/groups want this type of guncontrol legislation passed.  I listened to several speakers make this propaganda type of statement during the testimony being given during the House Judiciary Committee public hearing.  These people will stop at nothing to push their anti-gun agendas.

We must work harder than ever to have our voices heard loud and clear.  Keep writing and calling your Senators and Representatives.  We must be relentless in the defense and protection of our rights and freedoms.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:32:14 AM by jshunt »

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
This helps us identify who our friends are.

Reply from Rep. Richard DeBoldt:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding HB 1588.   I wanted to let you know that I support our Second Amendment right to bear arms.  Washington State already has some of the most strict gun laws in the Nation and requiring universal background checks for firearms transfer is not the solution nor is banning guns.  I am focused on finding solutions to keep our children safe and working towards a result that does not take away the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and those around them.  If HB 1588 somehow makes its way to the House Floor I definitely will be voting "nay".  Again, thank you for taking the time to contact my office.  Your input is important to me.

Sincerely,

Representative Richard DeBolt
Republican Leader
20th Legislative District
(360) 786-7896
richard.debolt@leg.wa.gov
http://houserepublicans.wa.gov/members/richard-debolt/

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
Only reply I got stating how they voted.

Thank you for contacting me. I voted against the bill in committee and will do the same if it comes up for a vote in the floor.

Terry

Representative Terry Nealey

16th Legislative District

office: 360.786.7828 |Terry.Nealey@leg.wa.gov

Visit my Web site: www.houserepublicans.wa.gov/nealey

And this reply. :bash:

Thank you for contacting the office of Representative Chad Magendanz, 5th legislative district.  Hearing from and communicating to our constituents is our number one priority.

Representative Magendanz and his staff will review your correspondence.  :bash:

"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Hunter4Life

• supreme predator, hunter, carnivore, political animal, warrior for hunter's rights
  • Hunter
  • Groups: HHC, WWC, Hunting Works for Washington, SCI, Sportsmen's Alliance, NRA
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 12:53:28 AM »
The Second Amendment Foundation doesn't support SHB 1588.  Alan Gottlieb, founder of SAF, has made the following statement:

“First you should know that I do not support Washington House Bill 1588 as it is currently written."

He made the following additional comments:

“My support for a state universal background check bill must include a substantial victory for gun owners that includes, but is not limited to repealing, prohibiting and destroying the current state handgun registration system and the data base of several million records of gun owners and their firearms that include the type of handguns and the serial numbers.

“This would be a huge victory for our gun rights. We would be the first state to repeal a gun registration system. Think about that and what it means for your privacy as a gun owner and the fact that we all know historically that registration leads to confiscation.

“In addition, if you have a carry permit you will be exempt from additional background checks. No checks would be required for transfers between family members. If you are a member of an organization like the Washington Arms Collectors that does a background check for membership, you would be exempt from additional checks to buy a firearm at their gun shows.

“There are other inclusions that must be made as well that are good for our rights and freedom that need to be in a final bill to have my support.

“My guess is that the gun grabbers will not go along with these provisions and kill the bill. If they do the “blood” so to speak is on their hands, not ours.

“There are other smart, tactical, political and morally justified reasons why I have taken this position that I do not want to make public at this time. We do have enemies and I am not going to telegraph our strategy to them by spelling out our battle plans.

“I enjoy winning our freedoms more than the fight. I wish I can say that about some of my critics who have pre-judged without knowledge what it is that I am doing.

“Anyone who knows me knows that for the past forty years my efforts have expanded and protected our right to keep and bear arms from local city councils all the way to the United States Supreme Court.”

Alan Gottlieb

Offline Hunter4Life

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 02:00:27 AM »
Good sign that Nealey voted against the bill when it was in Judiciary.  Means he will vote against it again in Rules.  Debolt is a heavy-hitter as he is the Republican Leader in the House.  Tarleton sucked when she was on the Seattle Port Commission and she sucks as a state representative.

Here are the NRA ratings for the Rules Committe members:

Democrats
Frank Chopp, Chair   58%
Tami Green              67%
Marco Liias               67%
Marcie Maxwell         No info
Jim Moeller              50%
Tina Orwall              No info
Eric Pettigrew          17%
Chris Reykdal          No info
Mary Helen Roberts  17%
Cindy Ryu                No info
David Sawyer           No info
Larry Springer          67%
Patt Sullivan            92%
Gael Tarleton          No info
Kevin Van De Wege   100%
Republicans
Richard DeBolt         100%
Cathy Dahlquist       100%
Susan Fagan            92%
Jeff Holy                  92%
Norn Johnson          92%
Linda Kochmar         No info
Joel Kretz                100%
Chad Magendanz      92%
Terry Nealey            92%
JT Wilcox                 92%

The percentages are the candidates poisition on gun rights.  We need to hit the Democrats that have a high rating hard.  Most of the Republicans, with the exception of Kochmar, look solid on the issue.  No info means that they didn't respond to tyhe NRA survey and are most likely anti-gun.  If Kochmar votes yes, and we get Van De Weege and Sullivan to vote no, that means we need two Democrats to vote no to kill the bill.

Offline Swannytheswan

• Longhunter
  • Team Predator Sniper
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 04:45:33 AM »
This may explain supposed support for this bill by the second amendment foundation.

http://www.examiner.com/article/firestorm-erupts-over-story-about-ccrkba-and-background-checks?CID=examiner_alerts_article
Swanny

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 10:17:49 AM »
Sign up on the Washington Legislature website to be able to comment on Bills online.

Here's where you can sign up:

https://washingtonleg.granicusideas.com/users/sign_in

You can leave a comment after you sign up:

https://washingtonleg.granicusideas.com/widget/agenda_items/HB%201588

This is another way to get our voices heard.  Let's use it.

Make sure you select the "OPPOSE" button on HB1588 and keep your opposition comments to 1,000 characters or less.

All Bills will have a "Comment on this bill" button on the main bill page to the right of the bill number toward the top (i.e. HB1588).

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1588&year=2013
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:24:37 AM by jshunt »

Offline SGTDuffman

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 10:22:26 PM »
Done. It is painfully obvious none of these people have never gone to a gun show, or bought a firearm. In all likelihood, most have never even seen a firearm in person, let alone held or fired one. I figured that is probably cause to educate them on how gun shows actually work in this state. I sent more or less the basic form letter but included this about the "gun shop loophole", in case they tried throw that in my face as an excuse for their support of such a law.

The so called "gun show loophole" is also nonexistent in the state of Washington. If you've ever been to a gun show in the state, you'd know this. If you've never been to a gun show in this state, I'll briefly explain how it works. Washington Arms Collectors (WAC) administers all gun shows in the state of Washington. WAC requires you to be a member of WAC in order to buy or sell firearms at the gun show. To become a member of WAC you must submit paperwork, in person and accompanied by photo ID, containing your full legal name, current address, city, state, zip, email address, telephone number, drivers license number, driver license expiration date, birth date, citizenship status, Concealed Weapons Permit # and expiration date (if applicable), occupation, employer, years employed, legislative district, congressional district, NRA member number, and processing fees. You also have to sign a sworn statement to the effect that you are not a convicted felon, drug addict, alcoholic, under indictment, or have ever been adjudicated mentally defective. With all this paperwork and these fees you must also submit proof of having a background check performed, acceptable forms of proof are: a current dealer license, current curios and relics collector license, current law enforcement ID, current concealed weapons permit, state issued firearms ownership ID, or an additional $12 fee so they can run their own background check on you.

For more information on WAC, please visit: http://www.washingtonarmscollectors.org/
or for membership requirements, visit: http://www.washingtonarmscollectors.org/members.shtml

Offline Wenatcheejay

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
Marked
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »
Done. It is painfully obvious none of these people have never gone to a gun show, or bought a firearm. In all likelihood, most have never even seen a firearm in person, let alone held or fired one. I figured that is probably cause to educate them on how gun shows actually work in this state. I sent more or less the basic form letter but included this about the "gun shop loophole", in case they tried throw that in my face as an excuse for their support of such a law.

The so called "gun show loophole" is also nonexistent in the state of Washington. If you've ever been to a gun show in the state, you'd know this. If you've never been to a gun show in this state, I'll briefly explain how it works. Washington Arms Collectors (WAC) administers all gun shows in the state of Washington. WAC requires you to be a member of WAC in order to buy or sell firearms at the gun show. To become a member of WAC you must submit paperwork, in person and accompanied by photo ID, containing your full legal name, current address, city, state, zip, email address, telephone number, drivers license number, driver license expiration date, birth date, citizenship status, Concealed Weapons Permit # and expiration date (if applicable), occupation, employer, years employed, legislative district, congressional district, NRA member number, and processing fees. You also have to sign a sworn statement to the effect that you are not a convicted felon, drug addict, alcoholic, under indictment, or have ever been adjudicated mentally defective. With all this paperwork and these fees you must also submit proof of having a background check performed, acceptable forms of proof are: a current dealer license, current curios and relics collector license, current law enforcement ID, current concealed weapons permit, state issued firearms ownership ID, or an additional $12 fee so they can run their own background check on you.

For more information on WAC, please visit: http://www.washingtonarmscollectors.org/
or for membership requirements, visit: http://www.washingtonarmscollectors.org/members.shtml

I think the only gun shows in this state that WAC has are the one in Puyallup and the one in Monroe.  These are the only two that WAC administers.  I could be wrong though I guess.  But you are right, at their shows in order to purchase you have to be a member and to become a member you have to have a check done.
Matthew 6:33

Offline SGTDuffman

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
Response from Rep Terry Nealey:

"Thank you for contacting me. I voted against the bill in committee and will do the same if it comes up for a vote in the floor.

Terry

Representative Terry Nealey
16th Legislative District
office: 360.786.7828 |Terry.Nealey@leg.wa.gov
Visit my Web site: www.houserepublicans.wa.gov/nealey

Offline SGTDuffman

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »
Ya I went back and read through their stuff again. I thought they did the whole state but it sounds like just the west side. They do Puyallup, Monroe, and Enumclaw. Dunno why I thought that. Oh well. The important thing was explaining to these guys that gun shows aren't just a swap meet where anybody shows up and hands stuff off to anybody.

Offline coxral

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »
Message sent!

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »

Keep writing.  We must be relentless.  Urge others to write.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:27 AM »
OK, another message sent, our sons and daughters are serving to protect our freedoms, I will make time to do my part here at home!  :tup:

frank.chopp@leg.wa.gov; richard.debolt@leg.wa.gov; cathy.dahlquist@leg.wa.gov; susan.fagan@leg.wa.gov; tami.green@leg.wa.gov; jeff.holy@leg.wa.gov; norm.johnson@leg.wa.gov; linda.kochmar@leg.wa.gov; joel.kretz@leg.wa.gov; marko.liias@leg.wa.gov; chad.magendanz@leg.wa.gov; marcie.maxwell@leg.wa.gov; jim.moeller@leg.wa.gov; terry.nealey@leg.wa.gov; tina.orwall@leg.wa.gov; eric.pettigrew@leg.wa.gov; chris.reykdal@leg.wa.gov; maryhelen.roberts@leg.wa.gov; cindy.ryu@leg.wa.gov; david.sawyer@leg.wa.gov; larry.springer@leg.wa.gov; pat.sullivan@leg.wa.gov; gael.tarleton@leg.wa.gov; kevin.vandewege@leg.wa.gov; jt.wilcox@leg.wa.gov

Subject:  Please oppose HB1588 - Universal Background Checks

I am writing today to respectfully ask that you oppose House Bill 1588 - Universal Background Checks for firearm transfers. Please consider that this bill will only affect law-abiding citizens and not criminals. Criminals do not obey the laws which already exist.

This bill mandates a $20 tax for a background check.  Family members and friends would be forced to deal with licensed gun dealers or risk becoming criminals.  If dealers refuse to process private transactions then legal private firearm sales would be halted. A grandfather handing down heirloom guns would in effect turn family members into criminals. I doubt that our founding fathers envisioned this type of government.

HB1588 would create a database of privately sold handguns because ALL dealer handgun deliveries are registered with the state. This bill appears to be nothing more than a scheme to create burdens for law-abiding citizens, it would be unenforceable, and this bill will be ignored by criminals just as existing firearms laws are ignored by criminals!

Please put a stop to these unconstitutional attacks on guns and law-abiding gun owners. This law will not prevent illegal sales by criminals and could in effect turn perfectly honest families and close personal friends into criminals. Please, I urge you to enforce existing firearms laws which are already being broken rugularly by criminals.

Sincerely,
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »
Message already back from Representative Kretz:

Thanks Dale,
This is a bad bill and we will do all we can to defeat it.
Joel

JOEL KRETZ
Republican Deputy Leader
State Representative
District 7

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »

Write-Write-Write!

And urge your family, friends, and colleagues to do the same.

Offline Redstar

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/Makerneer/
    • Makerneer
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
Looks like they have until Wednesday to move this out of the house.

Please contact your reps if you haven't already!
Need a thing-a-majig? I can help!

3D printing, CNC routing and machining, Laser cutting and engraving, Vinyl cutting, Metal work, Woodwork, custom shirts, a bit of everything!

Now featuring a large format CNC router capable of 4' x 16' and gigantic 3D printing capacity of 16 cubic feet, yes you read right cubic feet!

Checkout more of what I'm up to here https://www.makerneer.com/blog

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 10:04:46 AM »
It’s been a wasted effort to contact my reps:

While I am sensitive to the concerns of gun owners on many of the proposed stricter gun regulations before us this year, HB 1588 is a modest proposal that addresses the goal of keeping guns out of the hands of those who shouldn’t possess one. I voted “YES” for HB 1588 in the Judiciary Committee and will continue to support it with the hope that it eventually becomes law. You can track the progress of this legislation at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1588&year=2013.

I appreciate that you took the time to share your concerns with me.

Sincerely,

Mary Helen Roberts
21st District Representative

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »
My email to 97.3-

Good morning,

Gotta put a stop to this right now,  SAF neither supports or opposes 1588.  SAF is a tax-exempt foundation that cannot legally lobby for or against legislation.

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is who Alan Gottlieb has been representing in Olympia in talks with House members about 1588.

HOWEVER...as the bill now stands, without abolishment of the pistol registry and with a last-minute exemption for law enforcement...FUGGETABOUTIT!!!!

Call the LEGISLATIVE HOTLINE at 1-800-562-6000 and leave your message for your lawmaker.

And remind them that Joe Biden doesn't vote in their district but you do.

Full court press on background checks

A confidential source in Olympia advised Examiner over the weekend that Vice President Joe Biden may be calling some wavering Democrats Monday to encourage their support for a “universal background check” bill…

http://www.examiner.com/article/full-court-press-on-background-checks?cid=db_articles

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »
This may explain supposed support for this bill by the second amendment foundation.

http://www.examiner.com/article/firestorm-erupts-over-story-about-ccrkba-and-background-checks?CID=examiner_alerts_article

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

SAF has never taken a position on this bill.  SAF can't take a position on this bill.

I wish you guys would pay more attention. It's the CCRKBA that has been involved with this, not SAF.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 12:27:03 PM »

While I am sensitive to the concerns of gun owners on many of the proposed stricter gun regulations before us this year, HB 1588 is a modest proposal that addresses the goal of keeping guns out of the hands of those who shouldn’t possess one. I voted “YES” for HB 1588 in the Judiciary Committee and will continue to support it with the hope that it eventually becomes law. You can track the progress of this legislation at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1588&year=2013.

Sincerely,

Mary Helen Roberts

It's never a wasted effort.  Never give up ,and don't let them beat you down!  We all must stand strong and continue to put pressure on our Representatives.

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »

ACTION ALERT: Washington - Time is of the Essence to STOP Anti-Gun Measure

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/3/washington-time-is-of-the-essence-to-stop-antigun-measure.aspx

“Gun control advocates have until this Wednesday, March 13, to move House Bill 1588 out of the state House of Representatives.  It is imperative that you contact your state representatives NOW and urge them to oppose House Bill 1588, the so-called “universal background check” bill.

HB 1588 is sponsored by state Representative Jamie Pederson (D-43) and 37 other state representatives and, as introduced, could criminalize all private sales of firearms.  There have been many alternative versions circulated in recent days and the final language is currently unknown.

It is almost certain that the language soon to be considered by the state House will require gun sellers to go through a licensed dealer or law enforcement agency when selling a firearm to a buyer who is not a concealed pistol license holder.  These private transactions will involve fees, paperwork, potential delays, the possible creation of a state permit to purchase a firearm, the prospect of state taxation and the potential for records to be kept on private firearm sales.

This bill is nothing more than a regulatory scheme that would create a huge burden for law-abiding citizens, would be unenforceable and would be ignored by criminals anyway.  It is truly nothing more than a precursor to Universal Firearm REGISTRATION!

House Bill 1588 has become the top priority of a new anti-gun advocacy group, the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility (WAGR), funded by a few misguided millionaires in Seattle seeking to erode the Second Amendment and the right to self-defense, and backed by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.  Vice President Joe Biden is also reportedly making telephone calls to Washington state representatives in support of HB 1588!

If you have not yet contacted your state representatives in opposition to HB 1588, it is critical that you contact them NOW!  It is especially important for you to make these calls and send e-mails if you live in one of the more suburban districts in Washington.  WAGR is heavily targeting these areas to put pressure on state lawmakers.  To find your state representatives and their contact information, please see below.  You may also contact your state representatives by calling the toll-free legislative hotline at 1-800-562-6000.”

Go to the NRA-ILA link and use the Write Your Reps tool at the bottom of the page.

Or

Call the Legislative Hotline at 1-800-562-6000. 

I just called; it only takes a couple of minutes.

At this point this call will be better timed and have more impact.  Tell them you adamantly OPPOSE HB1588 and all of the other gun-control legislation that has flooded our legislative assemblies; they are all nothing but opportunistic anti-gun legislation trying to take advantage of the tragedy in Connecticut.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:54:03 PM by jshunt »

Offline Greenhorn

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »
Just called and told the person who answered the hotline that I wanted to voice my opposition to HB1588.  She was very nice, wanted my name and address and phone number.  She wouldn't give me any statistics on support or opposition to the bill, said that there was no way for her to know that.  Very easy to call!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »

Sincerely,

Mary Helen Roberts

It's never a wasted effort.  Never give up ,and don't let them beat you down!  We all must stand strong and continue to put pressure on our Representatives.

Thanks for your unwavering support jshunt...  :tup:

I just called and it only took about 1 minute out of my life to help support the 2nd Amendment.  :)

Offline et1702

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »

DONE, didn't even take two minutes!

Thanks,

ET

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »
Done did it. I called my reps offices. One will vote for it, one won't. The Republican said that the House vote will pass along party lines and it should be defeated in the Senate. Let's hope that's true, but not wait to find out. As soon as we know the results, take action. I know my Senator Benton won't vote for it.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
Thanks for your unwavering support jshunt... 

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 02:42:23 AM »
wrote another email using the copy past method.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline huntrights

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »
If you haven't called, PLEASE CALL ASAP!  OPPOSE HB1588.

Call the Legislative Hotline at 1-800-562-6000.

Last few votes elusive for backers of more gun checks

Supporters of a proposal to expand background checks to private gun sales struggled Monday to secure a final batch of votes that would ensure the bill’s passage in the House.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/03/12/2509581/last-few-votes-elusive-for-backers.html

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
called again still taking calls at 5:40

Offline Windwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 02:30:11 AM »

Don't want to celebrate too soon but HB 1588 appears to be DEAD :tup: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: And to all those who worked hard to kill it :brew: GOOD JOB  :brew:

For all those LOOSER antis out there!
 :kneel:
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline Greenhorn

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
Great news! :tup:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 09:13:58 AM »
 :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »
Right on! Thanks to JSHunt and Hunter4life for being the watchdogs for us and to all of you who called your congressmen and women.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 03:21:26 PM »
 :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup