collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to the area-Klickitat County  (Read 16466 times)

Offline b.oneill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to the area-Klickitat County
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
Hello Everyone! Let me use this first post to introduce myself...My name is Brian O'Neill, I moved to White Salmon, WA relatively recently from Minnesota. So far I'm absolutely blown away at the outdoor recreation activities the Colombia Gorge and surrounding area have to offer. I originally moved out here for the whitewater...but man, there is so much other good stuff.

Anyhow, I'm keen to do some turkey hunting out here this spring. I grew up hunting Eastern's in SE Minnesota, and I'm stoked to have a chance to hunt some Merriam's. I did some legwork yesterday in the Klickitat Wildlife Area. From my initial scouting, I like what I see. However, I'm used to hunting Eastern's so I'm not sure what exactly to look for (habitat wise) for Merriam's.  I found some areas that looked good, but found zero turkey sign.

-I've read some articles, but am curious what type of habitat you folks would recommend focusing on?

- How hard does that area get hunted for turkeys? From the looks of it, it gets POUNDED for deer hunting (I've never seen so much marker tape in all my life).

-Do they open the gates on Soda Spring Road in time for turkey season? Google earth showed some promising area's, but was short on time to get there.

-How likely are residents in the area to allow hunting? I know this is a very subjective question, but overall would you say people are willing to let you hunt?

-How do I find private property to hunt with written permission? I've looked at the Gohunt! maps and they state Klick county has thousands of acres of private land you can hunt, but I'm only able to find one thousand acre parcel near Goldendale.

I would really appreciate any knowledge you guys/gals are willing to share with me. Cheers!

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: New to the area-Klickitat County
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
welcome to washington, sorry to say i am no help when it comes to huntn the wild turks, good luck, i am sure there will be someone on here that will help you out  :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
Welcome to the site.  If Jerbear doesn't see this thread, you should try sending a PM to him.  He lives near the Wildlife area and I'm sure he would be willing to answer all your questions.  He is a really nice guy.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline motg9_6

• These animals are gods gift first before government's possessions. If it is illegal for a man to fend for himself then he can not be a man in his own right!
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
all of the turkeys get pounded as well as deer, elk, bear and any other animal in klickitat county. (thanks to local businesses posting ads in the papers in portland that its the best hunting in the north west) almost impossible to get hunting permission on private land unless you know somebody and all that marking tape is more than likely from logging they did or are going to do.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »
Welcome to the site! You moved to gods country for sure! :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »
You really moved here for the walleye!  :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Deer slayer

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »
I also live in the area. The wildlife area does get busy. Send me a PM and I will give you some ideas. For some reason thru talkatap I can't send PM's. I wonder what businesses are sending the articles out. Be interesting to know. Never heard about this one.

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 10:32:29 PM »
I live in the area also.  If you want turkey's, they are real easy to find on the refuge in Glenwood  :chuckle: but unfortunately, can't hunt them.  Lots of private land east of the Klickitat grade but I don't hunt anything east of the river anyway.  Lot's of good hunting both east and west but I think I can say that I probably wouldn't hunt here if I didnt live here.  By the way, I think I live in the greatest town Klickitat County has to offer  :tup:
Matthew 6:33

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »
I am in goldendale as well. There is about 15 of us on here that are in the "gorge" area. The wildlife areas will get busy. If you put some time in there is some good chunks of public ground to kill birds on. They will get pressure and you have to play with tactics from time to time but they are around.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Jerbear

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • Y.A.R. MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:38:40 PM »
The wildlife area is 16,000 acres.  All open.  They unlock the gates the day before turkey season.  The tape is mostly from when the GF&WL people were doing a 13 year study on Westernn Grey Squirrels.  Don't get me started on that waste of money project.
There are a lot of turkeys on the wildlife area.   WE are the second house in on Soda Springs Road.  That is the road you took to get intto the area.  Stick built house, red barn.  Stop in the next time you are in the area.  773-6039.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »
The wildlife area is 16,000 acres.  All open.  They unlock the gates the day before turkey season.  The tape is mostly from when the GF&WL people were doing a 13 year study on Westernn Grey Squirrels.  Don't get me started on that waste of money project.
There are a lot of turkeys on the wildlife area.   WE are the second house in on Soda Springs Road.  That is the road you took to get intto the area.  Stick built house, red barn.  Stop in the next time you are in the area.  773-6039.

We always stayed at the game land east of you.  I loved seeing the biologists trying to trap the squirrels with two walnuts in the traps. 

Offline Deer slayer

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »
I live in the area also.  If you want turkey's, they are real easy to find on the refuge in Glenwood  :chuckle: but unfortunately, can't hunt them.  Lots of private land east of the Klickitat grade but I don't hunt anything east of the river anyway.  Lot's of good hunting both east and west but I think I can say that I probably wouldn't hunt here if I didnt live here.  By the way, I think I live in the greatest town Klickitat County has to offer  :tup:
You must live in Goldendale. Lol.

Offline blacktail luv

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Shed Hunting Fool
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »
I'm from white salmon also send me a pm and we can maybe meet up and I can give you a tip or two. 

Offline Simcoe hunter

• Longhunter
  • Nimrod
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »
Welcome.  You could come hunt my backyard if I wasn't in town.  You need to PM me and I will try to find the link to the counties website for you that lists all property owners.  The timberland between Hwy 97 and the big Klickitat is still open to hunting.  At least for another year or two.  The darned game department keeps putting articles in the Yakima Herald about all of the great hunting available in Klickitat County.  It is no where near what it used to be.  The woods north of G'dale were half orange opening day of 2011.  So I went somewhere else 2012.  There are still some good public access areas, but being the cynic I am I see more of the state becoming pay to play.  But welcome to one of the best places on the planet.

Offline logger

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
  have to agree with wazukie, he does live in the best town! lucky for me I have lottsa private to hunt, but still some good areas close to white salmon, and welcome to the klick!
go ahead on er.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU