collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Snohomish Co. Eastern Gobblers !  (Read 16169 times)

Offline Turkeyman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Snohomish Co. Eastern Gobblers !
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »
Yes he is the expert. He is a big part in why we have true wild turkey's on the west side i,e  Eastern wild turkey's. I have hunted the eastern wild turkey on the west side for 22 yrs and have yet to find one that would let me walk up and take a picture of them. Thanks for everything you have done over the years Wac. for the wild turkey. Also great job educating people on this sight on the wild turkey. :)
If it flies it dies.

Offline packmule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
Hi Bradyfc,

I don't think any of the comments made in posts thus far were intended to be offensive to you, or to the turkeys in your back yard (except maybe the feather duster comment, but that was funny!).  You seem to be very convinced that the original turkeys that showed up in your yard were true Easterns.  Why are you convinced that they're progeny of wild Easterns and not a hybrid mix?  Perhaps more info on that front would be a useful contribution to this post.  Also, thanks for sharing the photos and video.   

Your observation about predators being hard on young turkeys in Western Washington is quite right. . .I've had coyotes, fox, and bobcat respond to turkey calls while hunting. 

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »
Bradyfc, you said.........

"that bird was a good looking bird when not all wet.  all the turks start looking like that when then when they get that wet. I have had too many turks for someone to tell me otherwise and I have the proof in the yard to back it."

I never said that the bird to the right of "Red" in the picture you took didn't look normal when he isn't wet.  I'm sure he looks a lot different when dry.  What I said was he is not a wild bird based on my observation of the way he did look in that picture.  Wild turkeys, wet or otherwise do not take on this appearance, while those that are domesticated usually do when they get wet.  Hope that clarifies what I meant.

To illustrate my point, the following series of pictures show both wild turkey hens and gobblers, all of which are standing out in the rain, or had been rained on, when the pictures were taken.  Just so you don't wonder about the bench in the first photo, that Eastern resides in Central Park.     

You and others can draw your own conclusion as to the difference in appearance between the wet bird in your photo and the wet wild birds in the pictures I posted.  You'll probably also see a somewhat distinct difference in looks, subtle or otherwise in characteristics between these wild birds and say the birds in the video posted earlier in the thread taken in the back yard.

The last two photos probably illustrate it the best with close up shots, with both the hen and gobbler obviously being very wet.

"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 11:15:59 PM »
Here's a video from Michigan showing hunting wild turkeys in the rain.  Part way in after the narrative stops, you'll hear the rain pick up reaching a downpour and you'll also hear thunder.  This will also illustrate wild bird appearances in the rain and what they look like wet. 

Turkey Hunting in the Rain
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 07:22:51 AM »
Bradyfc -

No ones picking on you ... they are just trying to inform you. I know WaCent, Turkeyman, Yelp and many others on this sight and their backgrounds ... they are the main reasons we have the wild turkey hunting opportunities that we enjoy today and they truly are experts in the field.  These guys are only on here to inform, educate, and "HELP" others that share their passion. 

So do you really want to know if the birds are truly wild or feral farm stock?   I know I would want to know if they are truly wild because I share their passion .....
 :dunno:
Then please accept their answers in the manner it was given and accept the fact that they are feral farm stock (I knew that when I first saw the posted pics and I'm not claiming to be an expert like the forementioned truly are) ... and if you don't want to accept it when they are truthfully just stating a fact, that's okay ... don't get defensive, question their knowledge, or their reasoning for stating facts.
 :twocents:

Offline packmule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
Nice looking bird!  This issue is a lot like differences between hatchery and wild salmon or steelhead.  The hatchery fish look and taste just like the wild fish, they're still a great animal.  But there are definite differences in terms of behavior, and more importantly fitness.  The experts on here have provided A LOT of information to you. . . this should be informative for you, not offensive.  Most of the guys who really are into Easterns spend countless hours each month scouting them, chasing them, etc.  And some of these guys are wildlife professionals (i.e.  spent their careers managing or studying wild turkeys).  They don't have to be at your house to determine what the origin of these birds are.  As near as I can tell, the original turkeys in your flock showed up at your house one day and your using this as your basis for determining that they're wild Easterns and not hybrids.  Sorry if this issue is being beat to death.  True wild Easterns are very important to turkey hunters in Washington, so we can be a bit defensive about the issue.     

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »
Brady fc ... I do not think anyone is calling you out ...We do not know where these birds came from you are referring too ! But in that last photo you just posted that may or may not be a wild bird ...I see some dark CHESTNUT feathers on the tail area and it is for sure one healthy lookin bird ..all we are trying to say is there is a huge difference between wild and pen raised birds ... I am not saying Easterns will not feed out of your yard but I have been around alot of turkeys in my life from east to west and I am sure a few other have too ! But I know an eastern bird rather in be in Pa or Wa they will not hang around long or let you get to close to them ...feeder or no feeder ! and the comment you made about some of us not knowing anything is a little off ...Alot of us breathe to hunt turkey which means we just do not wait until spring to think we know it all  :dunno: :chuckle:  I have more money tied up in turkey hunting gear than any other gear I own and spend a couple more thousand in just looking for turkeys in gas - camping ect ...turkey hunting can be exspensive  ;) :chuckle:

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 10:37:31 AM »
 :yeah:
Brady FC -
Many of the people on here have spent their lifetime as professional wildlife biologists ... many have spent numerous years/decades as volunteers at local, district, and state NWTF positions ... many are Washington Turkey Slam Pin owners ... many are veterans of numerous wild turkey releases that have made turkey hunting what it is today in this state ... and many have done it all.  You will not find anyone more dedicated and passionate about not just hunting turkeys, but daily about informing, educating, and helping others become successful at hunting them.  Most of us know they are truly unmatched in their knowledge of all things turkey and are the type of people I want as friends and mentors.  Please consider this and ask any questions of them about their reasoning behind their responses to your posts.  They are giving you valuable info ... it's your right not to accept it if you want, but .... 

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
One more thing I better point out is no one mentioned what turkeys do when it rains ... :dunno: where do you think I hang out when I am turkey hunting in the rain ?  :chuckle:

#1 In camp taking a nap ?
#2 In my truck ridding around trying to roadside one ? :chuckle:

Or # 3 sitting along side an open field where I know turkeys will end up if it starts to rain ?

and someone can explain why I would be sitting along side an open area or field if it is raining while I am turkey hunting !  :dunno: ;)

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
Maybe because rubbing up against the wet brush starts penetrating the turkeys protective feather coverage, so they head out of the brush along side the field edges or into the fields.  It may also effect their two main defenses (hearing and sight).   :dunno:

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »
10-4 Big AL ... :dunno: :chuckle: :chuckle: :hello:

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »
How's things JB ?  May be doing another clinic on Mar 16th up your direction @ that new store you like ... been asked at least, just haven't heard a time yet.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
Maybe Cabelas ? Let me know I will help  :tup:

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
Been asked to do one at Cabelas_Tulalip, but other than Mar 16th they haven't given me the time.   The ones they scheduled in Olympia were cancelled about a week or so out due to the new event coordinators grandpa taking a sudden down turn.  The lead is the Lk Wa Pres ... understand there are youth and adult calling contests too ... maybe will need to MC or be a judge or be a participant.   Really don't know at this point.    :dunno:   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]