collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 49 Moose Hunt 2008 (PA BEN)  (Read 31300 times)

Offline runningboard

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: 49 Moose Hunt (PA BEN)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »
good luck moose tag holders and friends. sounds like fun
Romans 14:2 he who eats only vegetables is weak
Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 11:35:01 AM »
First day out saw 3 cows one calf, a lot of bull pits, I know there's bulls there and I'll there be back tonight. I wanted to check an area where I saw 5 moose on Sunday. I think finnman's wife shot a big bull this morning, stay tuned for that one :dunno: :drool: The evening of the first I went to the area I saw 5 moose, stayed the night, heard a bull grunting around 8:30pm. I started calling at 6:50am in the morning. I called for about a half hr. and heard a bull answer. He was coming and seemed very hot, but when I cow called, a cow let loose and that was it, he went back with her. I moved down to them and saw a very small bull and a cow. I then went into the timber when the wind changed and had them 20 yds in front of me but could not see them. So I backed out and came back in the evening, no moose at all. I hoped I didn't bump them out. The next morning this morning 10/3 at 6:30 I called 3 times, the bull answered and came out, I could tell he wasn't a shooter, so I shut up. He just came right to me. Got some good video. He was 38" maybe 40" at the most. If I need to fill my tag I know where he is. ;) Stay tuned, I'm resupplying at Mom and Dads, Taking a shower and well be gone for the week end. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:45:36 AM by PA BEN »

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 12:39:40 PM »
SWEET! Its nice to hear some updates!

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 07:25:11 PM »
Good luck!

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 07:31:20 AM »
Well guys I guess talk is cheep :( I shot my first good bull I saw yesterday morning. Not the Booker bull I wanted, but he's a 45", heavy beamed, old bull with forked fronts. I'm having a little shooters remorse this morning, but you know, it was the best time of my life. A very good friend/hunting buddy came up for the weekend to hunt with me. Since I moved away we never get to hunt much together. Anyway, we arrived at the gated off road just before day light. He drove up from Spokane and I from Mom and Dad's. Had to be up at 3:30 am to make the drive. We got to the gate and 5 vehicles were parked there. :bash: Muzzleloader deer and elk hunters. We walked in about a mile in the rain. When the hillside opened up I walked to the edge of the hill and called. (bull grunts) About 30 seconds went by and I saw a big black animal walk by at about 100 yds to my left. I got my buddy's attention and told him what I saw. About that time we could here him grunting up on the road. I gave my video camera to my buddy and glassed the bull with rain soaked byno's. I guessed him at 50" and where he was and with my friend Mitch I decided to take him. He beat the brush a little and was coming fast, this whole thing happened real fast. He stopped at 37 yds. and turned away from me. I put the cross hairs on the center of the back of his neck and touched it off, he didn't go down, didn't even buck. I thought I missed :dunno: I though I'd drop him on the side of the road for a ez back. :rolleyes: Well he ran, I shot him 2 more times, before he went out of site. We found him about 200yds down the hill from the road :IBCOOL: (Ground Shrinkage) I'll say no more about that. ;) I'm glad I had Mitch with me, I'd still be there getting him out by myself :bdid: We took pictures and started to work. After we boned out one side we decided to take a break and get my bike with my game cart that I made to pull with my bike. We were soaked to the bone. After a celebration beer and dry fleece close, we set out to finish. It took two trips out and we were loading the last of him at 4:30. We would have been done sooner if he dropped on the road. As I boned out the neck, I found my bullet in his neck bone. 175 gr. Rem. Core lock, from a 7mm-Rem. mag. You would think at that range his neck would have broken. :dunno: The bullet was a perfect mushroom. I saved the part of the neck where I found the bullet, I'm going to bitch to Rem. and show them pictures of the neck and bullet. Well now I have time to help Dad on the farm and scout for deer and bear hunt. I'm still on vacation. I'll post pictures later.  :hello:

Offline 280ackley

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 08:10:32 AM »
Congrats on the moose!!!  Looking forward to the pics.
Life member: Washington Wild Sheep Foundation & NRA

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »
Congrats , cant wait to see the pics!

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 08:45:49 AM »
Thanks guys. The only bad thing about getting it done so early is Mom and Dad have a lot of work for me. :bash:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 08:48:17 AM »
Good going!    Be proud of your trophy.  Love the moment with your friend.  Too much is put into size of stuff.  Look forward to your pics.

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »
he's a 45", heavy beamed, old bull with forked fronts.

That sounds like a good bull to me. Can't wait to see the pics!!!
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 09:46:36 AM »
I am real happy for you. I too shot a bull yesterday morning. I will post that story and photos later. Right now I have a bunch of meat I need to take care of. Brian

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »
Damn hard to keep track of all you guys.

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »
it was the best time of my life.

Congratulations to you and your buddy for successfully filling an awesome tag! I'm also looking forward to seeing the pics!  (and also a big congrats to you as well Rufous! Looking forward to the story & pics!)

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
the moose are falling fast for sure thisyear.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 10:05:47 AM »
I cant wait to see the pics.. Ground shrinkage to 45" and memories of a lifetime. ill take that anyday.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal