collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunters Ed Age Question  (Read 22347 times)

Offline Nick 139

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NWTF NRA
Re: Hunters Ed Age Question
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
I think that its all depending on the child.. My son just turned 10 a week or so ago, and i feel that he is ready to take the class he is a pretty strong reader and level headed for a city kid.   he's been in the field with me when i shot a cow elk,  seen me shoot a few deer and lots of upland and waterfowl trips, so he is no stranger to hunting and fishing..   
so i enrolled him into the online course(because there were no regular classes available) and we spent about 2 weeks grinding through the course,  we took many stops along the way to dig into some of the sections, "field trips" as i like to call them and I had him take the practice test 3 times,   once with myself in the room (not saying a word) and twice alone he scored a 87, a 91, and 96.   Then he matter of factly told me he was ready  for the Real test,  so i set it up and left the room. and a 96 score was followed by OH YA BABY!!!  His field day is in a few weeks and he has stated a few times that as long as i do my part Calling the turkeys in he will do is part and not miss......   I love the online option for hunter safety, because of sports and very busy schedules.....but i in no way think its an easy option. Ever try and listen to a 10 year old read for 15 hours???   but i know that my son and i had a lot of good quality time in my ole computer room..

Offline doubletall

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
Just an update on my daughters hunters ed experience.  She took about a week to get through the online class by herself and got an 84 on the test. The next day at the field day she got a 100 on the written test and passed the field exercises. Her card was in our mailbox two days later.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »
Just an update on my daughters hunters ed experience.  She took about a week to get through the online class by herself and got an 84 on the test. The next day at the field day she got a 100 on the written test and passed the field exercises. Her card was in our mailbox two days later.
:tup: Good for you and her. There is nothing more frustrating and exciting at the same time than taking your kid hunting.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 09:22:37 PM »
 :tup:  Good for her.  Good luck this Spring/Fall.

Offline seaduckhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:20 PM »
My daughter took it last year at age 8 and was the youngest in the class.   I think it depends on the kid.   I saw a 10 yr old boy who didnt pass the test and didnt even seem to  be paying attention in the class.   I believe there was Legislation to change the age to 8.

Offline calledinsick

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 09:46:05 AM »
My son just passed Hunter Ed last week at 10 years old. He has been hunting with me for about 6 years now,
10 years was a fair age for him to take the course.  Thanks for the instructors, the class room instruction and field test is well worth the time even Dad learned a little.

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:52 AM »
My daughter is 9 next month and breezing through the online course without help. What can she (we) expect on the field day?  Do they teach proper gun handling or are they just evaluated on what they have learned from the online material and from me. Can anyone give me a brief summary of the field test.

Thanks,

Dave

The new H.E. instructors manual states that the WDFW requires instructors to train students in eight(8) skills." In short, the only way a student should fail is poor attitude, failing to respond to training in at least one skill on three occasions or a blatant violation of muzzle control. The old practice of just testing the student in regard to handling skills without training is no longer valid.

Offline sako85

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 01:53:32 PM »
My son just past his test with a 92 a couple weeks ago, he is 9. They told us
next season there is going to be an age min. of 9-10 not sure. I felt the class-
room coarse is great for the kids with more hands on learning and the responsibility
of the dedication of time is important.

We have done a lot of shooting and safety practice and he did well, but i feel
someone teaching other than mom or dad is good for the kids confidence.

Like everyone else i have been waiting a long time and can't be more proud! The
permits will be in soon, we both can hardly wait.

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
Most states have age limits ares doesnt I agree with depends on a lot . I think 12 is a great age if they can shoot straight. I say get them in the woods teach them everything you can.one day when we are old theyll need to take us.

Offline HUNT

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 03:35:53 PM »
All 3 of my sons took it at age 8.  They all passed the class.  I think I am more strict with them in the field that they were in hunters safety class.

Kids all mature at different ages.  You'll know when the time is right.   

You are the one that is responsible for them.  Just because they pass the class doesn't mean you turn them loose by any means.  They all had to earn the right from me to carry their own firearm.  Doesn't mean they don't hunt, just means dad carries the rifle.  And the youngest isn't there yet, but maybe next year.  Practice, practice, practice gun safety year around with your kids.   
Rack'd Up Outdoors

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »
I believe I just read somewhere on the WDFW page that they are considering changing legislation to change the required minimum age.
Not sure when that'll change.

But as for now... I think the only requirement is that they can read and write, and are accompanied by an adult.

I took it back when I was 12 and my little brother also went with, and was 10.
He only passed because my uncle sat with him through the written test.... and sort of... helped.
My parents made him take it again 2 years later. Funny story with that one.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
I believe I just read somewhere on the WDFW page that they are considering changing legislation to change the required minimum age.

But as for now... I think the only requirement is that they can read and write, and are accompanied by an adult.

He only passed because my uncle sat with him through the written test.... and sort of... helped.

Hey!
Everyones looking for you over here >> http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,126303.msg1675595/topicseen.html#new
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Hunters Ed Age Question
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »

No requirement to be able to read the text can be read to you. You seem to find requirements for hunters ed and coyote hunting in different places than anyone else.
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 11:13:25 AM »

No requirement to be able to read the text can be read to you. You seem to find requirements for hunters ed and coyote hunting in different places than anyone else.
^^^ LOL

They don't need to be able to read, or write, but they need to comprehend. They only fill in a bubble on the written test portion, no actual writing required. Actually no parental guardian required either.

The instructors DID say that it is being pushed to have 8+ as a minimum age to sign up for the class, that hasn't passed yet though.

We JUST completed our hunter's ed last week. For anyone 10 and under it was mandatory that an instructor read them the questions for the written test portion, they had no choice. Parents/guardians/ANY non-student or non-instructor were sent out of the class and everyone was split up on their own table for testing (and to avoid that same situation BigLukke just described with someone "helping" a younger student). I would definitely say 10 should be the minimum age. That was the minimum age of the passing students in class it seemed and the ones that were younger it was their second time in class. Quite a few of the youngest didn't make it though.

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
I took it when i was 8 read and answered questions by myself....... I must say it was pretty much the most important thing in the world to me to get that *censored* though!!! I also came out fo the womb reading :chuckle:

My Personal opinion is that the parent should be the one to decided when their child is ready to take the course and begin hunting. That being said there will always be those irresponsible parents out there.....

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal