collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunters Ed Age Question  (Read 22344 times)

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
Re: Hunters Ed Age Question
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
I believe I just read somewhere on the WDFW page that they are considering changing legislation to change the required minimum age.
Not sure when that'll change.

But as for now... I think the only requirement is that they can read and write, and are accompanied by an adult.

I took it back when I was 12 and my little brother also went with, and was 10.
He only passed because my uncle sat with him through the written test.... and sort of... helped.
My parents made him take it again 2 years later. Funny story with that one.
No requirement to be able to read the text can be read to you. You seem to find requirements for hunters ed and coyote hunting in different places than anyone else.

:rolleyes:   geez....   I said "I think the only requirement is..." lol.
Don't Take stuff personally. I don't "Make up stuff".
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 12:17:44 PM »
I believe I just read somewhere on the WDFW page that they are considering changing legislation to change the required minimum age.
Not sure when that'll change.

But as for now... I think the only requirement is that they can read and write, and are accompanied by an adult.

I took it back when I was 12 and my little brother also went with, and was 10.
He only passed because my uncle sat with him through the written test.... and sort of... helped.
My parents made him take it again 2 years later. Funny story with that one.

Hey!
Everyones looking for you over here >> http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,126303.msg1675595/topicseen.html#new

Now, considering the statement about not making stuff up and the above quote....that is some funny stuff!

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »

I took my son when he was ten and he passed no problem, a big kid with a good attitude. My daughter is now ten and she is incredibly smart but is tiny. She can barely shoot her bb gun. So were waiting till she is twelve.
Hunting hounds since 1993

Offline fieldking#1

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
There is no real age limit as long as you are smart enough to pass. :chuckle:

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 05:25:02 PM »
I took it at 9 and missed only 1 question, i dont think there should be a minimum age.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
My son took his at age 9.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline arees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, SCI, NRA
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »
My son took the test when he was 8 and only missed two questions.  I would not let him take the test until he could read the pamphlet himself.  He reads above his grade level.

When he was taking the test I was not allowed to sit near him which was fine with me.  The instructors asked me to sit with someone else's child in case they had questions.  The other father sat with my son.  My son only asked one question about the meaning of one word.  The child I sat with only asked a couple of questions about some phrases.  I'm not sure how old the other child was, but both would have passed without the help.  They did better than many of the adults taking the class.

My son is far more consistent and conscientious about firearm safety than I ever was.  He is a good influence on me for safety issues in general and having him watching me makes me better because I don't want him to catch me making a mistake.

I dislike the idea of blanket age requirements.  They are just an admission that the test does not work.  Take the time to improve the test if you don't think it is working.  Before you start making changes, present some evidence that there is a problem.  I'm tired of hearing that we have to implement a bad change because there might be some problem sometime.

We need a crusade for the children, a children's crusade.

Offline returnofsid

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »
Our 7 year old daughter, 8 in August, is very excited to start hunting.  We've considered getting her into a class next spring.  As that time nears, we'll assess the situation again.  At that time, we may decide to hold off another year.  She's reading quite a bit above her age level and her comprehension is excellent. She's already shooting her own bow and loves it. We'll see how it goes...
2013 Hoyt Carbon Element G3 28"DL/60-70lb DW Purchased new, 4/26/2014
Fuse Carbon Interceptor 7 pin sight
Hoyt/QAD HD Fall Away Rest
TightSpot Quiver
GT XT Hunter @ 440 Gr. Total Weight
100 grain Muzzy 3 blade and/or 100 grain Magnus Snuffer SS Broadheads

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »
My boy took it earlier this year at 10 yrs old, Another parent read the questions for him and he filled out the bubbles, He could have done it himself  but  we thought it would move along faster with someone reading it, I read to another child in the class. I was not sure if my boy would pass because I caught myself listening to the person reading for my boy and he seemed to have trouble reading the questions himself..  My son missed 2. The instructor pulled my boy aside and asked the missed questions clearly to him and he answered them correctly.
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »
I was 8 years old, and I got a 99% on it.  I wanted it more than anything else at the time and studied my a$$ off.  Have shot a deer every year since then (except college years), started with the Win model 94 in 32 special.

Offline lostbackpacker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
My son took it when he was 7 years old.  Think he got 97%.  took it out in Granite Falls.

They were great.  they would help him  on the test.  by help, I mean they would explain the question different than the way it was written.

they did not let me do it, the instructors had to do that.
It is what you meant it to be...

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 01:36:12 PM »
My son took it when he was 7 years old.  Think he got 97%.  took it out in Granite Falls.

They were great.  they would help him  on the test.  by help, I mean they would explain the question different than the way it was written.

they did not let me do it, the instructors had to do that.
Thats how it was out at Tacoma Sportsmans Club also, they explained it to all the kids. I think only one little girl failed thats all.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline See it,Shoot it

• Pilgrim
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »
i don't have kids, i'm 11 but, i took it when i was 9 so they could go in as long as they can hold up and shoot a gun accurately without it pitching them over backward. if they make it, good for them. :tup:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:21:02 PM by See it,Shoot it »
If it can't find somewhere to run, and can't find somewhere to hide, it better find somewhere to die- the mossy dude with the .50

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »
My son took it at age 7. He read the test himself and got 75/75 correct. He is one of my favorite hunting partners now.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline deltaops

• Longhunter
  • “Heads” I win, “Tails” you lose!
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
We do not need an age limit for these classes. Why would anyone want that? Saying this only helps set the standards of the government to keep limiting us.  :bash:

My son took it just after he turned 9. He started showing an interest in hunting when he turned 8. From that point we went out as often as we could with his BB gun and taught him safety in firearms. Each and every time I handed him his BB gun we did the safety talk. I told him as well as my other boys that if they can show me responsibility with firearms we will move up to the next firearm. My son now has his own .243 and shot his first doe back in Oct during MF youth hunt. My other two boys have not shown the interest to much and are happy and content with a BB gun.

We as parents need to keep teaching our kids from the time they show interest until the time we are 6 feet under. Lazy parents and lazy kids is why the gov sets limits. Responsibility starts with the parents.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal