collapse
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: Federal laws against marijuana still apply in national parks, forests  (Read 7860 times)

Offline bigtex

• Old Salt
Since there was some talk about people smoking the green stuff on hunting trips though I would post this recent article in the Tacoma paper.

Law enforcement officers at area national parks and forests are reminding visitors that the use of marijuana for recreational purposes is illegal on federal lands.

The recently passed state law, which allows recreational marijuana use, has no bearing on federal laws, which continue to identify marijuana as a Schedule I illegal drug and prohibit its use, said Donna Nemeth, a spokeswoman at Olympic National Forest.

“Mount Rainier National Park, as do all National Park Service areas under federal jurisdiction, has the exact same regulations regarding marijuana possession and use that Olympic does,” said Chuck Young, chief ranger at Mount Rainier.

Possession of marijuana or use of any amount of marijuana is still prohibited on all national forest and park lands and at all such facilities. Violations are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both.

Federal officials wanted to issue the reminder because of the change in Washington’s laws legalizing the possession of up to an ounce of marijuana and stories such as the recent seizure of 40 marijuana plants from a Seattle park.

Seattle police seized 40-45 marijuana plants March 2 from the 9-acre Landover Woods Greenspace, on the Shoreline border. But the police don’t plan to investigate further because pot enforcement is a “low, low, low priority,” according to an Associated Press story.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/03/17/2517619/temporary-new-boss-at-mount-st.html#storylink=cpy

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: WFW, WSTA, WSB, WPHA, FWM, NRA, SCI, NAHC, IOGA, MOGA, BBB
Re: Federal laws against marijuana still apply in national parks, forests
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
Thanks, good idea to let people know about this so nobody gets in trouble for lack of knowledge.  :tup:
http://trophymaps.com "Do-It-Yourself Maps"    http://bearpawoutfitters.com "Leases, Camps, Cabins, Hunts"    http://graywolfnews.com "Wolf News"
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups and quit losing opportunity.

Offline NW-GSP

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
I still feel that it is still illegal no matter what the state wants to pass as a law due to it still being illegal at the federal level. If the Feds chose to come in an start busting people they could.

Offline Fishaholic

• Master pintsmen =)
  • Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »
I still feel that it is still illegal no matter what the state wants to pass as a law due to it still being illegal at the federal level. If the Feds chose to come in an start busting people they could.

the state has the power to make there own rules so its really not illegal. Im seriously tired of people saying stuff about how they think its not right. serioisly? get over your selfs there is no way you complaining is going to change anything so why do it?

As for the parks. I think thats a good idea im glad when im camoing with my son and wife i wont have to worry about stoners breaking into my ice chest lol. maybe the feds dont want a real life yogee the bear hahaha
30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

Offline h20hunter

• Off-Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »
Easy enough for me and I'm not a user of it......Fed land....fed rules.....
Yes, my FJ is pink, I'm all about Team Jacob, beer is not for the horses nor is whiskey for the men, they are both for me.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:53:24 AM »
 :yeah:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
As for the parks. I think thats a good idea im glad when im camoing with my son and wife i wont have to worry about stoners breaking into my ice chest lol.

I would think that the stoners who are likely to steal your ice chest while you're camoing ( just what is that anyway?), are not likely to be disuaded by a law that is little enforced anyway

Offline WSU

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »

the state has the power to make there own rules so its really not illegal. Im seriously tired of people saying stuff about how they think its not right. serioisly? get over your selfs there is no way you complaining is going to change anything so why do it?

As for the parks. I think thats a good idea im glad when im camoing with my son and wife i wont have to worry about stoners breaking into my ice chest lol. maybe the feds dont want a real life yogee the bear hahaha

Actually, you are incorrect.  It remains illegal under federal law and the feds could enforce the federal law if they decide to.  They haven't done so in the past in other places (California is a great example).  But, just because it is no longer prohibited by state law does not mean it is not prohibited under federal law.  The two are independent of one another.

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
The states can not make or amend any law that is less than a fed. law. So until the feds decriminalize pot, its still illegal.

The feds can bust you anywhere they want. Federal or state land. 

Hunterman(Tony)
As a GRANDPAW the wise words I'm going to teach the little one is " PULL MY FINGER"

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I've smoked refer with Rangers

Offline gaddy

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 12:03:25 PM »
well thats one way to evade a ticket.

Offline h20hunter

• Off-Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:43 PM »
Did you inhale?

Really.....I don't think anyone would have that big of a problem. If you have an untagged animal or some violations that are cited maybe they will make something of it. Other than that I don't think anyone in the enforcment world gives a lick if you smoke a joint in camp. Cause a problem, commit whatever violations, act like a donkey, create your own issue and maybe they will think differently. We have gone over this in the last thread. Some think it is fine, some think it is not, most agree that when used responsibly it will not be an issue.
Yes, my FJ is pink, I'm all about Team Jacob, beer is not for the horses nor is whiskey for the men, they are both for me.

Offline Fishaholic

• Master pintsmen =)
  • Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 12:06:30 PM »
if you say the states can not make up there own laws then you are wrong okay weed is legal in wa get over it. and im done sorry guys but i dont need my 2nd month band because people try to start stuff when there is nothing to start. Thanks for this good info it would be a shame if someone got in trouble for not knowing and really degrading someone because of spelling? maybe that 2nd month ban sounds good i forgot about the " good old boys" on hear.

Offline WSU

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
if you say the states can not make up there own laws then you are wrong okay weed is legal in wa get over it. and im done sorry guys but i dont need my 2nd month band because people try to start stuff when there is nothing to start. Thanks for this good info it would be a shame if someone got in trouble for not knowing and really degrading someone because of spelling? maybe that 2nd month ban sounds good i forgot about the " good old boys" on hear.

I'm not sure I even follow what you are saying.  But, in Washington, marijuana possession is legal under state law and illegal under federal law no matter where you are.  You can believe that or not but it is fact.

Offline pat2bear

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
Good thing I don't smoke bud... I've got a hard enough time trying to remember where I can and can't wear my gun let alone where I'd be able to blaze up.  :chuckle:

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »
They still apply to the form you fill out to buy a gun, too.  It's a Federal form.  The Feds don't give a rip about Washington State law, so don't make that mistake!
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »
They still apply to the form you fill out to buy a gun, too.  It's a Federal form.  The Feds don't give a rip about Washington State law, so don't make that mistake!

Another very good point for people to remember.  :tup:
http://trophymaps.com "Do-It-Yourself Maps"    http://bearpawoutfitters.com "Leases, Camps, Cabins, Hunts"    http://graywolfnews.com "Wolf News"
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups and quit losing opportunity.

Offline christopheri

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »
Its good to remind people about this Tex. I cant help but feel that a Federal law enforcement officer talking to someone smoking a joint in their camp site on federal land would use some discretion and not cite or arrest a person in a state were the voters have spoken.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »

I don't get the hostility, but I'm sorry if you felt "degraded" in anyway by my little joke about your typographical error

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »
Its good to remind people about this Tex. I cant help but feel that a Federal law enforcement officer talking to someone smoking a joint in their camp site on federal land would use some discretion and not cite or arrest a person in a state were the voters have spoken.

I imagine it all depends on the officer, I know there are many that will write for any reason they can find.

I think bigtex had mentioned once before fed officers are being told to write tickets, so smokers need to know there's no free ticket to smoke on fed lands. As WSU said, by federal law it's still illegal everywhere in the state, so gun rights could be lost anywhere you happen into a federal officer with weed.

Offline sirmissalot

• Site Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
    • chadpburgess@faceboo​k.com
Federal laws against marijuana still apply in national parks, forests
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »

Seems like you are contradicting yourself here. Do you support legalization of pot or not?

I agree it's still illegal. Illegal to buy or sell, just not to possess according to state law. Although I really couldn't care less either way, the effects of alcohol are far worse than weed, on many levels.

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Off-Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 01:02:09 PM »
Eventhough it's legal in Washington, wasn't the law stated that the use was to be in private. So technically , if your at hunting camp and smoking and are on State/Wdfw lands, you would be smoking in public and therefore breaking the law. Anyhow, that's how I interpret the law unitl they get something more concrete.  :twocents:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
anywhere you happen into a federal officer with weed.

Ask her to share

She's hot too!

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »
The little boom box on her lapel plays Jimi and In a gadda da vida non stop

Offline Fishaholic

• Master pintsmen =)
  • Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 01:43:45 PM »
sirmissalot~ I am in favor of weed being legal but i think the 28 grams or 1 oz is a bit much. i think 1/2 oz would be more relistic for non~medical users. My great grandmother almost died so they put her on thc pills and now she is 90 years old and she ia walking around. thc moves blood.  Its a good thing legalizing ganga but i dont like the amount you can legaly have. also i dont want my son to be around it. he is 4 and dont want him to ask what weed is you know?

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal