collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Did you send a message to the Senate Natural Resources Committee?

Yes
53 (77.9%)
No
10 (14.7%)
Don't Care Either Way
3 (4.4%)
I want to do more (send bearpaw a message)
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Eliminate Pro-Wolf Wildlife Commissioners Now! (poll added)  (Read 24652 times)

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Eliminate Pro-Wolf Wildlife Commissioners Now! (poll added)
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
Eliminate Pro-Wolf Wildlife Commissioners Now!

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,121284.25.html

This is the most important thing that you can do to help hunting in our state.  The Republicans are giving us this opportunity on a silver platter.  Remember, all four guys up for confirmation on the Wildlife Commission have had a state senate hearing and they were not voted on.  They can sit unconfirmed until their term expires without ever having another hearing.  They don't have to be voted on, but now they are being brought up for a vote.  The Senate Natural Resources Committee Chair is bringing these guys up for hearings even though he doesn't have to.  The writing is so clear.  The hunting community and ranchers are being thrown a political bone.  I would bet that a majority of hunters and ranchers vote Republican.  The Republican strongholds in Bellevue and the eastside, in 1980 had all nine seats held by Republicans.  The GOP now has three.  The GOP is losing in the burbs.  The GOP has to find new voters.  This session Republicans were unified on gun issues.  They only had two or three defecters at most on the anti-gun legislation.  The GOP finally has some political clout and they are willing to do what the Democrats do - share the wealth with people that support them.  I am not a Republican.  I am a political realist whose passion is preserving our Second Amendment and right to hunt.  Right now Republicans in this state want to be our allies and I will accept that as long as they support our issues.  We have to do our part.  We may never again have this chance to make a bigger splash than this.   The Republicans on the committee need to hear from us and so does Hargrove.  There are some pro-hunting Democrats who support this 100%.

I received a message this morning from a Washington legislator that said nobody is contacting the Senate Committee regarding the confirmation of four Wildlife Commissioners on March 26. This is the perfect chance for Hunting-Washington members to have a direct impact on the Wildlife Commission. My strategy is to send messages now to each committee member, then right before the vote we'll send another volley of messages to the committee assistant who will forward the messages to each committee member.

Please take 1 or 2 minutes and DO IT NOW IF YOU WANT A CHANGE!

(copy and paste email list)
Kirk.Pearson@leg.wa.gov; John.Smith@leg.wa.gov; Christine.Rolfes@leg.wa.gov; Jim.Hargrove@leg.wa.gov; Mike.Hewitt@leg.wa.gov; Adam.Kline@leg.wa.gov; Linda.Parlette@leg.wa.gov

(copy and paste subject)
Confirmation of WDFW Wildlife Commissioners

(copy and paste message)
Senate Natural Resources and Parks Committee
RE: Confirmation of WDFW Wildlife Commissioners

Dear Senator,
I am concerned about the safety of pets, children, and the elderly in rural areas where rapidly increasing wolf packs are now causing an impact. Wolves are rapidly moving into new areas of Washington so it's imperative that wolves are managed in a responsible manner. I am also concerned about the future of ranching and our big game herds. Ranching, hunting, and fishing are vitally important to the rural economies in Washington. The Wildlife Commission establishes WDFW wolf policies and sets recreational hunting and fishing seasons. Ranchers, rural residents, hunters, and fishers are depending on the Senate to confirm wildlife commissioners who will maximize recreational opportunities and who provide relief to ranchers and rural residents suffering from the impacts of wolves.

Please CONFIRM Conrad Mahnken and Larry Carpenter, both of these commissioners are knowledgeable, they have shown an open mind, they will question WDFW on the issues, they are widely supported, and they both bring needed qualities to the commission that benefit Washington as a whole.

Please OPPOSE THE CONFIRMATION of Jay Kehne as an Eastern Washington Commissioner. He is a paid employee of Conservation Northwest a western Washington special interest environmental organization which opposes management of wolves, cougars, or any other predators and is often in opposition to predator hunting seasons. Kehne's employment by Conservation Northwest is a direct conflict of interest with his appointment as an Eastern Washington Commissioner. As you must know, the County Commissioners of Kehne's home county are opposed to his appointment.

Please OPPOSE THE CONFIRMATION of David Jennings an extremist environmentalist with a known radical anti-sport fishing agenda who has proposed closing Neah Bay to rock fishing a vitally important activity to the economic stability of that region. Jennings is also opposed to needed wolf management, rarely if ever supports hunting, wants to expand wilderness areas and create Marine Protected Areas (Water Wilderness). Please remove David Jennings from the Wildlife Commission he is considered by many to be the worst Wildlife Commissioner.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,
(your name)
(address)
(phone)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:40:43 AM by bearpaw »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Eliminate Pro-Wolf Wildlife Commissioners Now!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
Done!  :tup: Kirk Pearson is a good guy, and he used to be my state Senator. If he is yours you should let him know your position and passion on the issue. I have talked to him in the past about the wolf issue and he is a friend to sportsmen.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
Email just sent!

Thanks Dale, for making it so easy.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »
Done.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »
This is a great opportunity to move these confirmations out of committee to the full Senate, Senator Smith is from my hometown "Colville", he sponsored the Senate wolf bills that passed the full senate and are now in the house. I have spoken with Senator Smith about his wolf bills, I'm confident he will vote in our favor on these confirmations.

I have spent several hours researching each of these commissioners this week including numerous phone calls around the state in order to make the following statements about each of the four commissioners up for confirmation:

Conrad Mahnken - Confirm
Mahnken is an extremely knowledgeable scientist and brings a lot of fisheries expertise to the commission that no one else on the commission possesses. He also questioned numerous issues in the wolf plan and supports controlling wolves. It is my recommendation and the recommendation of other hunters and fishers that Conrad Mahnken be confirmed. We strongly support Conrad Mahnken's confirmation.

Jay Kehne - Do Not Confirm
Kehne was appointed to serve as an Eastern Washington Commissioner but he is a paid employee of Conservation Northwest, a pro-wolf environmental organization based in Bellingham that is opposed to wolf management. Every time Jay Kehne votes he must consider the ramifications if he was to vote against the wishes of his boss Mitch Friedman at Conservation Northwest. Because Kehne wants to expand Wilderness areas in Washington, opposes hunters and ranchers on controlling wolves, is a paid employee of Conservation Northwest, and is opposed by the Okanogan County Commissioners and cattlemen’s association, please oppose Jay Kehne's confirmation as an Eastern Washington Commissioner. To his credit Kehne is a hunter and has supported hunters on issues not involving wolves, I know of at least one hunter supporting Jay Kehne's appointment. However the fact that Kehne is a paid lobbyist for Conservation Northwest cannot be overlooked, he should be considered unqualified as an Eastern Washington Commissioner for the reasons noted. It is my recommendation and the recommendation of many other hunters and fishers that Jay Kehne is not confirmed. We oppose Jay Kehne's confirmation.

David Jennings - Do Not Confirm
Jennings wants to expand Wilderness areas in Washington, wants to create Marine Protected Areas (Water Wilderness), has proposed closing rock fishing at Neah Bay which is possibly the state's best rock fishing waters, opposes hunters and ranchers on controlling wolves, has opposed hunters on most issues, and his agenda will harm local economies. Many hunters and fishers feel Jennings is probably the worst commissioner. It is my recommendation and the recommendation of other hunters and fishers that David Jennings is not confirmed. We adamantly oppose Jennings confirmation.

Larry Carpenter - Confirm
Carpenter is an avid fisherman and supports hunting, he is a member of several sports groups, is willing to listen to others, and is considered to be open minded and fair by most hunters and fishers I spoke with. It is my recommendation and the recommendation of other hunters and fishers that Larry Carpenter be confirmed. We strongly support Larry Carpenter's confirmation.

Important Notes:
I have been told there are only two wildlife commissioners who are confirmed. Smith and Schmitten, so they will remain on the commission till their terms expire. If I understand correctly Douvia, Wecker, and Perry are not up for confirmation which means the Governor may want to replace them. If they are replaced with anti-hunters or pro-wolfers we are in trouble. Therefore it is critical to try and get the Senate to confirm the best two commissioners and vote against the worst two commissioners which are up for confirmation.

It was suggested by one key leader in the outdoor community I spoke with that because Kehne is a hunter he is not our worst enemy on the commission. Another key person for the outdoor community pointed out that Kehn is a hunter but since he is employed by Conservation Northwest a western Washington environmental group, he is better suited to being a western Washington or an AT-Large Commissioner. Because Kehne was appointed as an Eastern Washington Commissioner I think we must oppose Kene's confirmation.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
I don't see the term "environmentalist" as a negative. I consider myself an environmentalist. I think it needs to be stronger, like "environmentalist with a known, radical anti-sport fishing agenda". Just my  :twocents:

Thanks for posting this up, Dale. :tup: I've written, as you know.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »
I don't see the term "environmentalist" as a negative. I consider myself an environmentalist. I think it needs to be stronger, like "environmentalist with a known, radical anti-sport fishing agenda". Just my  :twocents:

Good point. I think all hunters should care about the environement. So I don't get why the term "environmentalist" always seems to have such a negative connotation with many hunters.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
I think its because "Sportsmen" which is our camp is a better description. WE choose management, and "environmentalists" choose natures balance, and no consumption.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Online bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »

Good point. I think all hunters should care about the environement. So I don't get why the term "environmentalist" always seems to have such a negative connotation with many hunters.

:yeah:  language changed

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »
I think its because "Sportsmen" which is our camp is a better description. WE choose management, and "environmentalists" choose natures balance, and no consumption.  :twocents:

So ST, that's how you and I see the word. However, the word environmentalist to most others has no negative connotation on its own. We're not trying to influence people who agree with us. We're trying to influence people who need to be educated as to what's wrong with the commission.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »
"Dear Senators on the Natural Resources & Parks Commission,

I respectfully write to you today as a voting constituent, a volunteering conservationist, a master hunter, and a concerned Washington resident. Two of the sitting members of the Wildlife Commission who come up for confirmation consideration in your hearing next Tuesday are not suitable candidates for the wildlife commission, Jay Kehne and David Jennings.

Mr. Kehne is a paid consultant for the lobbying organization Conservation Northwest, a vocally pro-wolf organization. Retaining a paid pro-wolf lobbyist on our state wildlife commission seems unbelievable to me. Mr. Jennings is considered by many to be way over the top in his opposition to sport fishing, having once proposed closing much of Neah Bay, a very active and abundant sport fishery, to sport fishing.

As I'm sure you're aware, Dave Ware, wildlife manager for the DFW said last week that he expects damages from wolf depredation to reach $2.3 million dollars this year, a trebling of $750,000.00 in 2012 (ref.
http://nwsportsmanmag.com/2013/03/20/wa-wolf-bill-for-2013-estimated-at-2-3-million/ ). The wolf program has gone out of control and has done so with the help of people like Mr. Kehne and Mr. Jennings and anti-hunting and fishing agendas.

I respectfully submit that WA's sportsmen and women pay half of the WDFW's operating budget through license fees, while only 15% comes from the general fund. The remaining 35% comes back to us from the federally collected funds of the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act (Pittman Robertson), which is funded solely by purchases of firearms, ammunition, and archery equipment. Sportsmen in this state effectively pay 85% of the WDFW's budget (source: WDFW hunter education booklet). Stacking the wildlife commission with people who oppose fishing in abundant fisheries or promote a wolf program which is outrageous and is growing out of control, seems not only to bite the hand which feeds, but to be in direct opposition to ethics and sound government practice*.

Many of the state's sportsmen are worried and upset by these appointments and feel that the DFW is being led away from serving them and toward serving special interest groups who don't pay the bills and who oppose hunting and fishing. We are depending on you, our elected officials to right this wrong. I beseech you to reconsider these appointments and take these people off the commission for the benefit of our sportsmen, solid scientifically-based wildlife management,  and balanced conservation.

I respectfully request the courtesy of a reply. Thank you all for your service to our great state.

--
Most Sincerely,
John
Vancouver

*Our approved wolf plan is 50% more aggressive than that
 of MT and we have 16 times their population density. MT is having
severe problems, not only with its plummeting ungulate (deer, elk,
moose) populations, but the entire economy which surrounds sporting and
hunting. Our expected increase in spending is just the tip of the
 iceberg if we don't manage these predators to levels appropriate with
our geographic and habitat limitations."

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »
 :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »
Done, in the copy paste email right after David Jennings the word extremist is missing it's "r"

Online bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »
Done, in the copy paste email right after David Jennings the word extremist is missing it's "r"

:tup: fixed

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Eliminate Pro-Wolf Wildlife Commissioners Now! (poll added)
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 10:52:52 AM »
I'm going through my notes from the Oct. 6th 2011 meeting and can't find the WDFW estimate numbers. I should have taken a picture of the screen when they put it up, does anyone have a pic of that or wrote down their $ estimate to be paid out each year in managing the wolves?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]