collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help help me out!  (Read 2462 times)

Offline apex_predator87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Help help me out!
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:17:40 AM »
Hello,
  Ok guys , I'm stuck  and I just can't seem to figure this one out
 So my older brother is coming back from his last tour to Kuwait (his 4th).
And out of the  blue i get a letter a month or so  ago, telling me when he gets back
He needs time to unwind ,  reflect ,  and adjust to his new surroundings.
  I suggest a turkey hunt , because  I know he loves to hunt  , I have no *censored*ing clue
 And where to take him.  My brother has always been edgy ( really , really  anti social ) when  he gets back.

It seems in the pressure to make this a memorable  hunt , I've become overwhelmed
With all the info I'm finding .
I've looking into going  to collvile, Spokane , walla walla , cle elum ,  tucannon river.
 Someone. Plz point me in the right direction , I could care less about honey holes. 
I'm really just lookin   Any kind of guidance  as. Far as where to hunt.
I only hve until April 18th to plan this trip and I really could use any info.
Sincerely.
     Apex
Fear God , love life, and stay humble .

Offline pendoreilleadventures

• Moose Whisper
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.benham.16
Re: Help help me out!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:42:57 AM »
PM sent
“Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.”
― Ted Nugent

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:53:47 PM »
 collvile, Spokane,Republic,Kelly hill is really good to lots of public lands. Look at a washington Guzzet map and Google earth for back roads. Lots of turkey's
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline Deer slayer

• Longhunter
Help help me out!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »
Sounds like from a previous post on another topic you have birds located in Cle Elum. Why not hunt them?  You know where they are so go after them.

Offline ChadH

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
Sounds like from a previous post on another topic you have birds located in Cle Elum. Why not hunt them?  You know where they are so go after them.
Yep. There really isn't a "short cut" to getting turkey hunting experience. You just have to go. You will learn a bunch, and have a good time. Getting a bird should be secondary... unless you've hunted them for many many years... then you develop a little "swagger" about going in the woods and pretty much KNOWING you can kill a bird (but even then you get humbled). Please don't take this the wrong way, but from your posts (I've been following along) you seem a little "high strung" about this whole deal. I don't think it is worth stressing over, especially for your brother (I would think a little peace would be in order). Just go have a good time and enjoy hearing the birds gobble. If you don't get one... go buy one at the Safeway and cook it and "re-live the hunt"... then try again next year. I probably went 3 years before I killed my first gobbler... It was the early 70's and there weren't very many of them around then, so just HEARING them was a victory.

If you really HAVE to get one, and believe me I understand, I would find a guide with some private ground and work something out. Maybe just pay for your brothers hunt and go along and film or something, if you can't afford two hunts... just thinking out loud.

I wish you the best. :tup:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:20:38 PM by ChadH »

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
I agree with Chad, don't overthink this and don't blow it out of proportion.  Your brother is alive, you have time to share, go explore.  Some of my most enjoyable hunts have been to new areas.

If you can't find somewhere to take your shotgun for a walk with your brother in Stevens, Spokane, or PO Counties you aren't looking very hard.

Go have fun and quit worrying about it.  Worrying is the quickest way to screw up a good hunting trip.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
From the sounds of it your brother is looking more for just a chance to get away and unwind, Hunting is a great way to get away form City life but maybe just a camping trip away from civilization might be all that is needed with maybe a little stream fishing or just relaxing and not have to worry about having his head on a swivel
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »
Talk to Bearpaw on here and see about his turkey maps he sells.

Otherwise, all  the places you mentioned have turkeys. All the places have other hunters, and they all could play out. What's the worst that could happen? Some quality time spent in the woods with your brother? Go for it. You've asked a whole bunch of times where to go on this forum and you've pretty much covered every square mile of ground this state has to offer as far as turkeys.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline davyboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »
Maybe going out camping/hunting is not what your brother wants. I myself have spent almost 9 years in the military  and after I got back from a deployment, the last thing i wanted was to go spend more time in a tent with no shower. Maybe he just wants to kick back with his brother and catch up with old times. Dont take this the wrong way, just saying i know what life is like living in a tent and bad food for months on end.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]