collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Margaret Unit to be opened to everyone??????? Is this true?  (Read 19884 times)

Offline Hoytstaffshooter83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • Great NW Rivers
Re: Margaret Unit to be opened to everyone??????? Is this true?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 11:38:29 PM »
yes if you are going to hunt west side then Id put in for the toutle first..... I see you live in la center, I grew up there

Offline cld40

• Tracker
    • cheeseburgerproductions
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 11:59:53 PM »
Utah was great, i left because of work, but the public land is over hunted, all the good hunting is on private, here you have all the timber country that is more remote and less hunted in some places, lots of private ground in Utah. my neighbor reintroduced me to archery last year, i am 38 and have hunted elk since i was 19 and this was the funnest hunt i have had yet, also the first archery elk hunt. cant wait for late season, and '09.

lived in la center for 2.5 yrs love this town too. great community, nice and small but not to small.

thanks for the tip on the toutle!

i even put in for a cow tag for both this year and did not draw, did anybody draw either of those units?

thanks guys...

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 07:18:40 AM »
There are bigger bulls near mt adams than toutle or margaret. And if you want a mature rosie i would suggest you hunt closer to the pacific ocean.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline cld40

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 07:28:13 AM »
WDFW,   why is their bigger bulls near mt adams than in the margaret or toutle? remember i am new to the area,   :)

Offline blessed

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 08:31:10 AM »
There are bigger bulls near mt adams than toutle or margaret. And if you want a mature rosie i would suggest you hunt closer to the pacific ocean.
The Reccord books Boon and Crocket / pope and Young  say you can only call it a Rossie if it's on the west side of I-5. ;)
While Mt. Adams had produced some good bulls  the Margaret and Toutle have to have equal quality due to the road closurers. Some of he best elk are in the Blue MTs. Unless you realy want a Rosevelt. Then go to the coast. :chuckle:
SmokeyTbear

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »
Since when is a 280 bull a huge bull? To me that would be a big public land bull but huge?  To each there own though. A 320 roosevelt is huge and the toutle and Margret dont produce many of them caliber bulls anymore. I'm sure there are a few hiding in those super secret little holes that people dont know about or are too hard for the road hunters to get into. If your looking for a 250 , 260 class bull then I would say margret is where you want to waist your bonus points for your "Dream" on hunt. Anyway they arent really true roosies anyway just as blessed stated. Way over ratted as far as I'm concerned. I grew up hunting the margret, watched the bulls in nothing but ash and blow down, watched the place grow and seen alot of dandy bulls but that time has long passed. Once I started seeing these little raggy looking bulls I lost all interest in the area, to watch the vegetation diminish and alot of the deer die off , and finding 50 - 60 dead elk in some of my drainages I "Used to hunt"  Granted there are still some good bulls hiding in there, there are in every unit. But a Dream hunt, that would have been about 12 years ago when there were 6-8 nice 6x6 and 7x7 bulls in every canyon. :twocents:

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »
Blessed, there are bigger bulls that come out of trout lake every year. There are the few that migrate south instead of east to yakima and bring new genetics to the herds (that is my thought anyways) But i have seen way bigger bulls shot over there than i have in margaret or toutle.

But think of it this way. Our elk on the wet side do not have to migrate much untill you get over intot he national forest, when elk migrate the gene pool gets mixed up in the migration, different bulls travel with different herds back to where they came from or they travel to completely different areas, thus breeding different cows.
But when there is no mass migration the gene pool gets muddled down. And you have same bulls breeding the same group of cows, thus breeding to offspring making the gene pool even worse.
That is the way i see it anyways, i am no biologist but it makes sence to me in my mind so i will stick with it...
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline poulsbo

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
dept of F&G needs to make elk hunting an every-other year hunt it would be nice to actually plan a stalk and have a poss. of not having 10 other people screw it all up, i know this is far fetched because of the state making thier $$$$$ on lisc. fees but could you imagine if there were only half the hunting pressure in your elk unit?

Offline jadeball1

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »
since when is a 250 or 260 bull a "waist" of bonus points. I would apply every year. Limited access, messing with numerous bulls every day, a chance to shoot a bull anytime you walk into the woods. A dream hunt to some is not the size of the animal at the end of the day.  I think the older you get as a hunter, your priorities change. This unit provides a opportunity for hunters, young and old. I would agree this unit is not a "trophy" unit, but the trophy is in the eyes of the beholder.
What we need is more cow bell

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 01:05:28 PM »
since when is a 250 or 260 bull a "waist" of bonus points. I would apply every year. Limited access, messing with numerous bulls every day, a chance to shoot a bull anytime you walk into the woods. A dream hunt to some is not the size of the animal at the end of the day.  I think the older you get as a hunter, your priorities change. This unit provides a opportunity for hunters, young and old. I would agree this unit is not a "trophy" unit, but the trophy is in the eyes of the beholder.

Just my opinion ;)

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »

Just my opinion ;)

x3
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline jadeball1

• Tracker
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »
Honestly I think I am still a little bitter after drawing that permit this year(archery) and was able to hunt that unit. Definitely not the hype it used to be. You can see why. The vegetation and habitat are depleted in my opinion. Its still a fun place to hunt, and cant wait to get back down there for the late season. Lots of bulls, just not alot of 300+ bulls. But it is a very good unit to gain knowledge and practice if your a new elk hunter. A 260 bull, for a first bull is pretty good.  I would like to see it stay that way.  Just my :twocents:
What we need is more cow bell

Offline cld40

• Tracker
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 08:14:19 PM »
Honestly I think I am still a little bitter after drawing that permit this year(archery) and was able to hunt that unit. Definitely not the hype it used to be. You can see why. The vegetation and habitat are depleted in my opinion. Its still a fun place to hunt, and cant wait to get back down there for the late season. Lots of bulls, just not alot of 300+ bulls. But it is a very good unit to gain knowledge and practice if your a new elk hunter. A 260 bull, for a first bull is pretty good.  I would like to see it stay that way.  Just my :twocents:

X1

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 08:36:12 PM »

Just my opinion ;)

I have 11 points and my buddy told me to put in for Margaret next year. I asked him if he was on something...  :chuckle: Here's the bull my dad shot in the Margaret in 2000. It was the biggest bull we saw in all of our scouting and hunting. I don't know what it scores, but the unit definitely didn't live up to the hype even back then. We even talked to a warden and he said my dad's bull was about the size that was becoming the norm. He only had 2 points though, so it wasn't too much of a waste.

Offline JoeVon

• Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »

Just my opinion ;)

I have 11 points and my buddy told me to put in for Margaret next year. I asked him if he was on something...  :chuckle: Here's the bull my dad shot in the Margaret in 2000. It was the biggest bull we saw in all of our scouting and hunting. I don't know what it scores, but the unit definitely didn't live up to the hype even back then. We even talked to a warden and he said my dad's bull was about the size that was becoming the norm. He only had 2 points though, so it wasn't too much of a waste.

[/quote

How many days did you guys hunt/scout?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal