collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Savage 116 Trophy Hunter XP vs. 116 Weather Warrior  (Read 44766 times)

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Savage 116 Trophy Hunter XP vs. 116 Weather Warrior
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:28:39 AM »
I'm doing a little research to narrow the field on my first rifle purchase which I believe will be a bolt action 30-06. (not 100% set on caliber)

I like the Savage arms bolt actions because I hear they're accurate and inexpensive and I don't give a damn about aesthetics.  I care about function and durability and value.

I also like the idea of a stainless steel finish because I live in and hunt in the PNW.

Here are two Savage 116s

The Trophy Hunter XP that comes with a Nikon scope

And the Weather Warrior that doesn't include a scope

I can't figure out what the difference between the two weapons is.

Does the weather warrior come with an Accustock and that makes up the difference?  The weather warrior seems to be listed at a higher price despite the lack of a scope.

I would also love to hear feedback about both weapons, as well as what caliber you'd recommend for it for mule deer and potentially elk.

Thanks!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Re: Savage 116 Trophy Hunter XP vs. 116 Weather Warrior
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
Can't go wrong with the 30-06 for deer and elk.  I have 2 of them myself.  Not the sexiest caliber out there, but one of the legends.

You  have links to the guns, by chance?
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Lincoln4

• Born again Idahoan
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »
I just checked Savage's site, and that appears to be the only difference to me.  I had and just recently sold a 116 trophy hunter xp.  It was a great rifle.  I just wanted to go with a .260 remington.  I will probably buy the same model (well the model 16 in short action) in .260...
USN 82-88
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Cancer Survivor
Husband & Dad
Retired LEO
Political Refugee

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »
  I Think it's hard to go wrong with a savage 116,  But I think the real question here is "is the Accustock worth the extra $?"  I have a 116 in .270win with Accustock and I am amazed at the accuracy right out of the box.  Savage's standard plastic stocks seem extremely flimsy to me.  the Accustock has an aluminium frame that adds rigidity to the fore end of the stock, this makes the stock a little less flimsy and gives the rifle a more quality feel. If your going to be shooting off a Bi-pod I think the Accustock is a must but it probably won't affect accuracy much when shooting off the bench over sandbags. Savage Makes excellent barrels and that's always going to be more important than the stock.  If it was me I would go with the Weather Warrior and mount my own scope and rings.  But the Trophy Hunter XP package is a pretty good deal for a quality rifle and scope ready for the range.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »
Both guns will shoot well for you. The Trophy package has a standard stock and hinged floor plate. The Weather Warrior has the Accustock and a detachable box mag. I would grab the package gun. That way you're up and running without any extra money out of pocket on the scope. The Nikons that come with the Trophy package are very functional scopes.

As for the Accustock, I don't care for it. I have a 3 of them sitting under my work bench where they'll stay until I get rid of them. Accustock models use a smaller recoil lug which I don't care for. They can also give accuracy problems if you don't follow the proper sequence for tightening the stock bolts. You cannot bed the action as you would a normal stock. And in my experience, they really aren't any more stable than a standard factory stock. They still have a significant amount of flex to them.

Pick up the Trophy package and open up the barrel channel if you're worried about the stock flexing and throwing your shots. The best part about the factory tuperware stocks is that they're so cheap. Feel free to sand, grind and modify them as much as you want. Then just hit it with some spray paint cammo to cover up whatever work you did. For the record, I've never had any trouble getting .75" groups or better out of Savages in a factory synthetic stocks off of a bi-pod. :twocents:

Andrew

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
Do they make the 116 trophy in left handed?
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »
Do they make the 116 trophy in left handed?

I don't believe so

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 11:11:03 PM »
As for the Accustock, I don't care for it. I have a 3 of them sitting under my work bench where they'll stay until I get rid of them. Accustock models use a smaller recoil lug which I don't care for. They can also give accuracy problems if you don't follow the proper sequence for tightening the stock bolts. You cannot bed the action as you would a normal stock. And in my experience, they really aren't any more stable than a standard factory stock. They still have a significant amount of flex to them.

Pick up the Trophy package and open up the barrel channel if you're worried about the stock flexing and throwing your shots. The best part about the factory tuperware stocks is that they're so cheap. Feel free to sand, grind and modify them as much as you want.

Since you have three Accustocks under your workbench, I assume you're removing them from your rifles and replacing them?

I don't know how concerned I am about the stock being crap.  This will be my first rifle so I don't know how much I'll notice.  I wouldn't mind having the option of replacing the stock down the road - how difficult is that process?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Savage 116 Trophy Hunter XP vs. 116 Weather Warrior
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 11:19:04 PM »
Not difficult.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 08:10:21 AM »

Since you have three Accustocks under your workbench, I assume you're removing them from your rifles and replacing them?

I don't know how concerned I am about the stock being crap.  This will be my first rifle so I don't know how much I'll notice.  I wouldn't mind having the option of replacing the stock down the road - how difficult is that process?

My dislike for the Accustock has a lot to do with the constant barrel swapping that I do on the Savages. I like to be able to move actions around from stock to stock. An action with a standard sized recoil lug won't work in an Accustock unless you remove a lot of material from the bedding block on the Accustock. In fact, by the time you've opened up the recoil lug area, the accustock is less rigid than a standard synthetic stock.

One of my favorite replacement stocks for the long action Savage was the B&C Durramax. They were inexpensive (about $100) and a good, solid, strong, stock. They weigh more than the factory stock though, so they aren't great for a light weight build. The Durramax stock usually puts the finished rifle around 8# 10oz. I run a lot of magnum calibers so the weight never really bugged me. The downside is that the Durramax has been discontinued. There are a lot of good wood laminates as well which are reasonably priced. If you want to spend a couple hundred dollars, Manners, Stockade, Lone Wolf, and McMillan all make great synthetic stocks. Honestly though, I use the factory blind mag synthetic stocks a lot. They're light weight, and make a pretty good hunting stock with a little bit of work.

I think that you would be perfectly happy with an Accustock for a general purpose hunting. If you were looking for a bench gun or a 500+ yard hunting rifle I would probably change it though. Buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, sell it. There are always people looking to buy take off accustocks.

Andrew

Offline Lincoln4

• Born again Idahoan
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:47:09 AM »
The Trophy package has a standard stock and hinged floor plate.
Andrew

Depends on which exact model you get.  Mine had the detachable box magazine.  You need to go to Savage's website, click on "Firearms" at the top, then "browse", then "Package Series", then on "16/116 Trophy Hunter XP".  Although, I don't see any option for the hinged floor plate.   :dunno:

http://www.savagearms.com/
USN 82-88
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Cancer Survivor
Husband & Dad
Retired LEO
Political Refugee

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »
I have a 116 FCSAK in 30-06 with a Leupold Vari-X II 3X9X40 and love it, dependable and accurate, sub moa.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
Cabelas has the weather warrior in 7mag on sale right know for $499.  Thats a lotta gun for 500 bucks.  Also take a look at the marlin xl7's.  If you aren't going to buy the accustock model I would save some cash and go that route.  They have an accutrigger style adjustable trigger and in my personal opinion, they are more accurate and thats saying something because my weather warrior is a freaking tack driver.   just my  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »

Depends on which exact model you get.  Mine had the detachable box magazine.  You need to go to Savage's website, click on "Firearms" at the top, then "browse", then "Package Series", then on "16/116 Trophy Hunter XP".  Although, I don't see any option for the hinged floor plate.   :dunno:

You're right, I swapped the two. :tup:

Andrew

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
The Trophy package has a standard stock and hinged floor plate.
Andrew

The Weather Warrior 116 does allow the option for the hinged floor plate, the box magazine or.... none?  (just says N/A)

Which would make it easiest to switch out the stock should I choose to do so down the line?  What are the benefits of the box mag vs. the hinged floor plate option?

Thanks everyone!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU