collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Antlerless moose tags?  (Read 11044 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Antlerless moose tags?
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »
:yeah:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Antlerless moose tags?
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »
Do I have this right?  We are talking about someone who drew a 1 in 500 odds bull moose permit, killed a bull moose, then in the same lifetime applied for and drew a one in 600 antlerless moose permit, killed an antlerless moose, then got cited by WDFW for having an invalid permit that WDFW sold him?

Hmmm...
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »
Do I have this right?  We are talking about someone who drew a 1 in 500 odds bull moose permit, killed a bull moose, then in the same lifetime applied for and drew a one in 600 antlerless moose permit, killed an antlerless moose, then got cited by WDFW for having an invalid permit that WDFW sold him?

Hmmm...
not yet but i'm hoping to be the first. ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 06:33:45 AM »
I think the purchasing and application process is handled by a third party, so WDFW enforcement would get a free pass, because the department didn't control it directly.

I agree with the interpretation so far.

Before
1 bull and 1 cow was a possibility for everyone and possibly more if Master Hunter, auction or raffle

after.
1 bull and 1 cow is a possibility only if cow permit is utilized first, or master hunter, auction, or raffle.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 06:49:57 AM »

Hmmm...
not yet but i'm hoping to be the first. ;)
That would be great if you do. I will buy you a beer and some lottery tickets. :tup:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
Shockingly enough I recieved a reply to my email today from the dfw. They apologized for the way it was writtem in the regs and said they know it is confusing. They said anybody may apply for antlerless tags even if you have harvested a moose under the any moose category.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
I'd be surprised if WDFW would have it any other way.  They don't want to restrict the number of people who fork over the permit application money. :twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
That's good news. I just posted a rant on this in the general forum. They did change the wording this year and didn't put it in RED. I have 3 points and will apply if they let me. Thanks for posting the replay to your email.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 07:17:37 AM »
Personally I wouldn't even waste the money on antlerless moose permits. The odds of drawing are so low I just won't apply for those hunts anymore. I used to apply for antlerless moose hunts before they put them in a separate category. Your odds of drawing a bull moose permit are much better.
Actually the odds for the cow tags are still better. I was surprised too but just checked the 2012 harvest report. As for me, I'm planning on being the first guy to draw antlerless moose permits two years in a row... :)

Offline arees

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, SCI, NRA
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2013, 08:15:14 AM »
Wow, those are some badly written rules.

Anyone may apply,except those who have previously harvested a moose in Washington state (for exceptions, see below). An individual may only harvest one moose during his or her lifetime. However, this restriction is waived for hunters who have previously harvested a moose under an antlerless-only, masterhunter, raffle or auction hunt permit.

I'm going to draw a cow moose permit first and shoot one, then I can keep drawing and shooting bull moose for the rest of my life.  The one moose restriction will have been waived because I had previously harvested a moose under an antlerless-only permit.  They only list one restriction and wave it if you have previously harvested a moose under an antlerless-only permit.  I know that is not what they meant, but it is what they wrote.

This must have been written by the same people who wrote the youth hunting alone/extra hunter ed fees bill.
We need a crusade for the children, a children's crusade.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
Personally I wouldn't even waste the money on antlerless moose permits. The odds of drawing are so low I just won't apply for those hunts anymore. I used to apply for antlerless moose hunts before they put them in a separate category. Your odds of drawing a bull moose permit are much better.
Actually the odds for the cow tags are still better. I was surprised too but just checked the 2012 harvest report. As for me, I'm planning on being the first guy to draw antlerless moose permits two years in a row... :)

Antlerless moose is a harder draw by the way I calculate it. Not sure how you did it, but I take the total number of applicants in that category, and divide that by the number of permits available.

So for example, the bull moose permits had a total of 19,224 applicants. Divide that by the total number of permits (82), and I get odds of 1 in 234.

Do the same in the antlerless moose category, and I get odds of 1 in 275.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »
You may be right Bobcat, I just compared Mt. Spokane North any moose to Mt. Spokane North antlerless only(the tag I drew). If you just look at that the cow tag is easier to draw.

Offline crowcaller

• Pilgrim
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2013, 04:29:25 PM »
Page 88 of the 2013 regs in the middle of the page, under "Any Moose"  says:  ....If a hunter reports taking a moose on one of these hunts,.....no further  special hunt applications for "Any Moose" can be purchased.  Just below that, under "Antlerless Moose", it says: Hunters may continue to purchase future moose special hunt applications whether a moose was taken in the hunt or not.

I think this has been settled already.  But I interpreted the above to mean that if you harvested one on an "Any Moose" tag, then you were restricted from any future "Any Moose" tag hunt applications.  The "Antlerless Moose" tag does not have the same restriction.

Offline bucksandbulls

• Tracker
  • is it tweeker season yet
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »
I was upset and confused with the way it was written this year.  I would have gone with bobs view even before the wdfw e mail confirmation.  he knows his stuff.
is it tweeker season yet?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw