collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Black and Tan  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
New Black and Tan
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »
Hey Folks,
We're the proud owners of a three-month old black and tan pup.  He's a big strong dog and I am starting his training ASAP.

I don't see a lot of info on this breed on this site, anybody have experience with them?  He'll be hunting by himself most of the time once trained and I want to maximize his potential.

What's a good age to start running with other hounds?

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Huntin Hounds

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: New Black and Tan
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »
I have very little experience with black and tans but they are just like any other hound. You will want to socialize the dog with as many other dogs as you can. Start that right now. Next you wont need to do much training for the hunting aspect until he is a little older. You can start by dragging a hot dog trail for him to follow. When he finds the hot dog let him have it as a reward. Don't over due the training. You can burn a pup out on it. I know it's really exciting to see a you dog start to figure it out but watch doing it to much. The training that is most important right now is handling. A good handling dog is a pleasure to hunt. I don't think I can emphasize that enough. Teach him to come when called, Load in your vehicle on command and walking on a leash without ripping your arm off. These are the basics and you can expand from there. Hounds are extremely intelligent dogs and are also very stubborn. Get a Shock collar for him. I recommend the tri-tronics classic 70. You will want one with a mile range so when he starts a deer race you can stop it. Don't over due the shock collar either. Let him learn to run good game before you brake him from off game. What are you planning to hunt?

Offline gotshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »
Had black and tans when I was a kid. Cool hounds. Great bear and cougar dogs. One was named black and the other was named blue. Unfortunantly Blue did get killed by a bear.
IBEW 76 JW

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »
I have very little experience with black and tans but they are just like any other hound. You will want to socialize the dog with as many other dogs as you can. Start that right now. Next you wont need to do much training for the hunting aspect until he is a little older. You can start by dragging a hot dog trail for him to follow. When he finds the hot dog let him have it as a reward. Don't over due the training. You can burn a pup out on it. I know it's really exciting to see a you dog start to figure it out but watch doing it to much. The training that is most important right now is handling. A good handling dog is a pleasure to hunt. I don't think I can emphasize that enough. Teach him to come when called, Load in your vehicle on command and walking on a leash without ripping your arm off. These are the basics and you can expand from there. Hounds are extremely intelligent dogs and are also very stubborn. Get a Shock collar for him. I recommend the tri-tronics classic 70. You will want one with a mile range so when he starts a deer race you can stop it. Don't over due the shock collar either. Let him learn to run good game before you brake him from off game. What are you planning to hunt?

Thanks for the informative reply.  I really appreciate it.  I plan on hunting coons and maybe I'll get after cats someday.

I've been looking into tri-tronics.  What is "overdoing it"?  I've been spending about twenty minutes in the morning trailing.  He started out with just trailing ham pieces and now I'm dragging a hide piece and he loves it.  Then we spend about half an hour combined with obedience training in small chunks whenever possible.

I never let him get bored with trailing and I focus on "putting him away hot" so he doesn't lose interest.  He is currently living with three other dogs so socialization is  :tup:

Thanks for all your help.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:28 AM »
Had black and tans when I was a kid. Cool hounds. Great bear and cougar dogs. One was named black and the other was named blue. Unfortunantly Blue did get killed by a bear.

I've wanted one for a decade or more.  Only other hound I've had was a bluetick that was a perfect example of what I don't want this fellow to end up like.   :chuckle:

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »
I have two black and tans, one is by far my best dog and the other one is coming along real good  she is just 2-have used for bears,lions,bobcats and coons.The younger one caught her first bobcat by herself this winter.   By far my favorite hound breed. I also have plotts which are good but I just really like the black and tans. Plotts seem to be more bear minded and the b&t seem to be more all around(at least the ones I own)I also owned a blue tick that was a nightmare! I know blue ticks are a good breed too dont want to start any fights over breed!  Have fun training the pup

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »
Thanks Idaho, I just got back from running him outside for a while.  I let him run a few drags, I'm up to a hundred yards with him and starting to skip the track so he has to find it.  He's very good already at lining up the track.  I'm dragging a muskrat hide until I get the coon hide in the mail.

I'm pleasantly surprised that he's so motivated - I have to discipline myself to not overdo it   :drool:

Offline Southpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
picture? Ain't thing more cuter than a hound puppy!
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Huntin Hounds

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »

Thanks for the informative reply.  I really appreciate it.  I plan on hunting coons and maybe I'll get after cats someday.

I've been looking into tri-tronics.  What is "overdoing it"?  I've been spending about twenty minutes in the morning trailing.  He started out with just trailing ham pieces and now I'm dragging a hide piece and he loves it.  Then we spend about half an hour combined with obedience training in small chunks whenever possible.

I never let him get bored with trailing and I focus on "putting him away hot" so he doesn't lose interest.  He is currently living with three other dogs so socialization is  :tup:

Thanks for all your help.
When I say overdoing it I mean don't shock him for barking at off game at an early age. It's okay for a young dog to bark at animals you don't intend to hunt such as deer. It shows gaminess and hunting drive. Don't let him chase them though. After you get him on a few coon races then teach him what trash game is. Start off light and work up to the needed stimulation level. The tone feature works good for just getting the dogs attention. It sounds like you got a good plan for your training. Good luck with the coons this year.

Offline evoasis

• Pilgrim
  • Smarter not harder
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »
So where are these hounds?  Only ones I can find are pretty much in Texas and Georgia
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »
are you looking to buy one? I am not selling any but could get you some names of guys running black and tans here in Idaho

Offline evoasis

• Pilgrim
  • Smarter not harder
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 04:21:49 PM »
Message sent!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal