collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rabbit hunting within 40 miles from Whidbey Island  (Read 4723 times)

Offline navy83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Rabbit hunting within 40 miles from Whidbey Island
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »
I just got stationed up in Whidbey Island. My wife and I have talked about on getting a beagle in December. I have grown up around them all my life and know they are great dogs, but I am not sure the best way to start one on rabbits. Does anyone know anyone that starts dogs or could help me/give pointers on how to start mine after we get it. As well as in the mean time know where to go? It seems like everything on the island or in Skagit county is private land. I love rabbit hunting and have been gunning over dogs for 18 years.

Offline merlo105

• Hunter
Re: Rabbit hunting within 40 miles from Whidbey Island
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »
Honestly the best way to start a rabbit dog is to put it on a hot track. Find a rabbit and put it on it. You could buy a rabbit and do the same thing just be sure to pick the crazy rabbit so it will run lol. Plus can always give the rabbit away later to the neighbor kids. Rabbits are pretty easy to spot at night so night training can sometimes be alittle easier. Its just getting the dog on the scent is the hard part. Buy a rabbit
Will hunt for food

Offline navy83

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »
Yea. I was thinkin about that. i was also thinking about live trapping one and putting it im my back yard since its big and fenced in.. at least as a young pup that wont nearly be as fast as a full grow rabbit

Offline Sagehawker

• Tracker
  • Groups: WFA, NAFA
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 01:17:18 AM »
I am assuming you are in Oak Harbor.  Take the dog for a walk over by the naval golf course.  There is a strip of brush between the small arms range and the park that is there.  It usually holds bunnies in fairly large numbers.  Of course timing will mean you will need to do that when it is legal to do so.  There are bunnies all over the military bases up there as well. I do not know what is open for gun hunting anymore as the island population of people grows it is harder to find shooting.  Falconry hunters often can hunt in these margins.  The rabbits are around you there and a stroll on a trail is likely gonna result in a rabbit sighting and a hot trail.  Again just know where you are and when you can run your dogs on game.
Phil Smith

Offline navy83

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »
Most definitely. I wouldnt just cut the dog loose. The Military Police can be grumpy as is, no reason to give them cause to take my dog or my money. I appreciate the thought though. Once I get back I can talk with the MP's and see what their thoughts on it are..  Good Idea,

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
They allow rabbit hunting on base when its legal.  PM me for more info :tup:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »
There is not much training with a beagle ...wait until August when they are all over the place and start setting his nose right where they sat ! Your be surprised on what they already know  :tup: I need to run my dog more ..this year I need to go a lot more ....Whidbey is a good place to be ..just need to get permission  :tup:

Offline plottwalker

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
beagles out of good lines should make at least decent hunters, most of the time better then decent. you can even get lucky and find a pet beagle that will fit the bill....get them out young and often, or throw them in with older dogs if you can. we run year round down here, keeping them in shape and rabbit minded.

p.s. if your ever make your way down sw i got a  training pen you can throw a pup in.

Pic from sunday, dogs caught this little guy after a few hour race.(dog on the far left was someones house dog until last weekend, she is on her way to being a rabbit dog.)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]