collapse
Double U Hunting Supply For all your AR 500 steel target needs and competitive shooting events!

Author Topic: Skagit County Wrestling  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Jerome

• Scout
Skagit County Wrestling
« on: October 11, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »
Just letting anyone know that might be interested in signing their kids up for youth wrestling this season.  Sign ups are Monday the 13th and Wednesday the 15th from 6-7:30 pm at Burlington Edison high school in the wrestling room on the eastside of the building. 
Turn outs will start the Monday the 27th.  Turnouts are Mondays and Wednesdays 6-7:30pm and maybe some fridays this season.  Generally the ages are 5-14 boys and girls.  The tournaments are saturdays and some sundays with the first 1 being November 8th hosted by whidbey island wildcats.  For more info check out our site.
www.svyellowjackets.com
Jeremy
Heres a picture of Jeremiahs last years tally.  Great fun for the kids. 

Online SCRUBS

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Skagit County Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »
Really great sport! Both of my boys are into it, oldest more than the youngest

sisu

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 05:17:06 PM »
Wrestling is not a sport it's a life long learning experience. I used to coach and my wrestlers learned a ton of suff about themselves and others while on and off the mat. I demanded good sportsmanship for my wrestlers ALL the time. Other sports play wrestlers battle from the get go just like hockey. :IBCOOL:

If you have girls and there is no female wrestling program get them in to Judo or some other well run martial sport. I had my daughter in dance and kick boxing. My son and her husband are still afraid of her front snap kick and her backward thrust kick! :yike:

Offline addicted

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »
they do have women"s state championships in WA now for high school.   

Wrestling is a great way to start a healthy lifestyle that will carry on for a very long time.  You learn what work and dedication is.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Online HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 07:44:24 AM »
You guys are exactly right!
Both of my boys started out wrestling in 3rd grade.My youngest was a sate champ in high school in 98 and wrestled a couple years of college.Ended up having to give it up because of concussions.

He is still active in wrestling.Coaches as much as possible and absolutely loves the sport.

The self esteem he gained through wrestling is fantastic.But the connections hes made and the doors that have been opened for him because of it are still there to this day.

I highly encourage anybody with kids to have them at least give wrestling a try.Almost all programs have openings for girls nowadays.Some of the smaller schools have the girls wrestle with the boys.Which I'm not too keen on.But sometimes its the only way.Plus Ive seen some girls that are pretty dang good. Oh.its also a very safe sport.

sisu

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:48:42 AM »
You know that is funny about the wrestling coaches I've met over the years is this. Many have degrees in chemistry, physics, math or biology etc. They are all dedicated to do a good job with anything presented at their feet. Thanks for posting this Coon Dog.

Offline Jerome

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 11:12:01 AM »
I am really impressed by how big it got from when i was a kid.  With how many youth leagues there is now and that a kid can wrestle 9 months out of the year if he wants to.  This season the tournaments are from Lynden to chealis and top 3 from each weight can wrestle in Oregon State Championships.  Washington holds a two day state championship at the end of the season which gets all the youths together from all over the state.  Its not like when i was wrestling when i was a youth and wrestled the kid next door to me.  Now they are wrestling kids from surray canada, Yakima, etc.  Well i hope to gain a wrestler from this site.  Last year we ended up with around 40 kids for our club that made it through the season, then after that they can move on to freestyle if they want. 

Offline bowman

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »
I have been wrestling for ten years. I started wrestling when I was seven years old. Last year I was a 4a state alternate.

Wrestling has meant a lot to me over the years.  The sport requires hard work, dedication and determination.  Wrestling teaches sportsmanship.  You will learn more from your losses then you will from the wins, though it is always nice to win and that is what you strive for. 

I think the most important thing I've gained from wrestling is mental toughness.  During matches there are times when it would be easier to just give up.  However, you learn to fight through to the end and not give up.

Ended up having to give it up because of concussions.

That's too bad.  My dad tells me that if I get one more he is going to make me give wrestling up. Last year I was knocked out in a big match and taken to the emergency room.  I was cleared to wrestle again a week later.

Offline Jerome

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
Nice stack of medals.   :tup:

Offline robb92

• Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »
I agree nice stack of medals!!!!!!
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline jkononen

• Off-Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »
i wish i would have wrestled. i went to sedro-woolley, seen 6 straight state titles! I know a lot of great wrestlers. and a great wrestling coach.
we live for the nights we never remember with the people we'll never forget

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

Boulder 013crop (Medium)

Views: 131
Posted by: shanevg
in: Pictures

* Recent Topics

Blacktail 3pt or better unit????s by Jonathan_S
[Today at 08:34:22 PM]

what is your favorite rifle caliber? by bigmacc
[Today at 08:32:01 PM]