collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Summiting St. Helens - Mission Accomplished (Pics & Video Added)  (Read 42123 times)

Offline Bmcox86

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • One in hand is better than two in the bush
    • Setter Stickers
Re: Summiting St. Helens - Mission Accomplished (Pics & Video Added)
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »
If you do it in May I might join join y'all, I've been wanting to do this since I got here and this may be my last full year here
Semper Paratus

Beretta White Wing 12ga Approx 20k rounds and still going strong!
Tikka t3 light 300wm

http://likeablaze.wordpress.com

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
If you do it in May I might join join y'all, I've been wanting to do this since I got here and this may be my last full year here
Its very exhausting. Keep that in mind. I tried to give up like 4 times but my partner wouldnt let me. Im thankful he didnt let me. It was an eye opening experience. Changed my life alittle.
14 hour total hike, 10 hours up, 4 down.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
More power to you and if you go late May you probably won't need any extra gear.  However if you shoot for April like your post said, then it is likely you would wish you had it.

Like I said, we went April 15th last year and the snow drifts were 2-3 feet tall in the parking lot.  Wind polished ice on the slopes and we had to cut our own steps in many places.  Spring weather can change on a dime. 

Keep an eye on this site for Weather
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Saint-Helens/forecasts/2549

here are our photos from April.  One good storm and this is what June can look like on Helens.

You should shoot for Adams in the Summer.  Great hike.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
More power to you and if you go late May you probably won't need any extra gear.  However if you shoot for April like your post said, then it is likely you would wish you had it.

Like I said, we went April 15th last year and the snow drifts were 2-3 feet tall in the parking lot.  Wind polished ice on the slopes and we had to cut our own steps in many places.  Spring weather can change on a dime. 

Keep an eye on this site for Weather
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Saint-Helens/forecasts/2549

here are our photos from April.  One good storm and this is what June can look like on Helens.

You should shoot for Adams in the Summer.  Great hike.
I can tell, that's the same route we took. It looks much colder when you went so Ill take your word for it. We usually keep a close eye on the weather a month or so before we go so we have time to prep. Im super outa shape right now so It may even be harder then last time. This route being the harder of the two main routes (from what I hear) I dont remember the names really but It would come back to me as I went. Im sure we will be prepared regardless though. I don't have a death wish.

I do plan on doing Adam's some day. There's something about Mountaineering that's just incredible.
All I remember was....
"Who the heck does this for fun" Then getting to the top and being like "It all makes sense now" :chuckle:

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »
Oh yeah, guy in our party lost his eyesight the day after that trip for nearly two weeks because he did not bring sunglasses.  Said it felt like he had sand in his eyes for two weeks.  Basically he sunburned his retina.  He advised us this was not something we should strive towards trying out anytime soon.

Bring those glasses back up there with you (and put on sunblock more than a couple times too)!
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
Oh yeah, guy in our party lost his eyesight the day after that trip for nearly two weeks because he did not bring sunglasses.  Said it felt like he had sand in his eyes for two weeks.  Basically he sunburned his retina.  He advised us this was not something we should strive towards trying out anytime soon.

Bring those glasses back up there with you (and put on sunblock more than a couple times too)!

Yeah I know now lol, If you remember we had a few conversations a page or two back before I went last time...

This was the result of not using sunscreen other than one initial application before the hike.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
That picture is just plain nasty...  Whenever I think I don't need a new coat of sunblock I think back on that photo!

I didn't get it either till I went up Mt St Helens.  Now I am hooked.  Did Adams last year and Helens twice.  Did the approach to Baker two times and poked around on the glacier.  Now that was a rush! Whole new ball game.

My buddies and I joined the Mountaineers and are taking the Basic climbing class.  Starts on the 21st and we cannot wait.  Our goal is to do Baker and Rainer this year followed by Glacier Peak next year.    We want to get up Helens two times in the winter in prep.  We might shoot for Adams again late summer if Baker and Rainer go well.  The way the snow is this year though, who knows what the glaciers will be like.

Make Adams a priority.  Do it as a two day trip.  one day to Lunch Counter, stay the night, then summit the next day and head all the way down.

My buddies and I try to do an after work hike every week to get ready for climbing season.  Between April and August last year we were able to get in one every week except for 2-3 where work got in the way.  Amazing the difference it made, and we got to know our local peaks really well.

If you want a good "test" for Mt St Helens, go up Mailbox a few times.  if you can do that, Helens won't kick your butt too bad..
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/mailbox-peak
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2014, 08:54:12 PM »
That picture is just plain nasty...  Whenever I think I don't need a new coat of sunblock I think back on that photo!

I didn't get it either till I went up Mt St Helens.  Now I am hooked.  Did Adams last year and Helens twice.  Did the approach to Baker two times and poked around on the glacier.  Now that was a rush! Whole new ball game.

My buddies and I joined the Mountaineers and are taking the Basic climbing class.  Starts on the 21st and we cannot wait.  Our goal is to do Baker and Rainer this year followed by Glacier Peak next year.    We want to get up Helens two times in the winter in prep.  We might shoot for Adams again late summer if Baker and Rainer go well.  The way the snow is this year though, who knows what the glaciers will be like.

Make Adams a priority.  Do it as a two day trip.  one day to Lunch Counter, stay the night, then summit the next day and head all the way down.

My buddies and I try to do an after work hike every week to get ready for climbing season.  Between April and August last year we were able to get in one every week except for 2-3 where work got in the way.  Amazing the difference it made, and we got to know our local peaks really well.

If you want a good "test" for Mt St Helens, go up Mailbox a few times.  if you can do that, Helens won't kick your butt too bad..
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/mailbox-peak

Hey Rob,

How do you like the Mountaineers? I do alot of hiking and some backpacking and have joined up as a guest a couple months ago in order to learn some mountaineering skills, and to also find others to go out with, but have yet to go on an outing. I have heard/read some negative comments about them but also great things too. Just curious on the club and personal experiences.

Tony

sorry for the   :jacked:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:04:32 PM by timberghost72 »

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:30 PM »
I'll let you know. I just joined and class starts on the 21st.  We plan to go into this with open unbiased minds, learn how to do everthing they teach without second guessing their methods, and then when class is over keep or reject what they teach us based on how it seems to apply to what we want to do.

I am sure that in climbing, as in hunting, fishing, diving, stamp collecting, or whatever, there are big egos and strong opinions on what is "right".  I like to listen to each POV and adopt the things that seem to work for me.
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
Cool, Thanks. I need to get my butt into a few classes and some outings soon. I'll share my experiences as well. Your approach to it sounds solid.  :tup:

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
A case for Crampons and an ice axe in hand when on steep snowfields...

http://www.summitpost.org/coleman-headwall-and-aftermath/885528

- Chris Ledoux

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2014, 01:17:10 PM »
St Helens?  Info is from Baker???  Good heads up though on better safe than sorry.

:sry: :sry: :sry: OOOPS  - MY BAD! I missed the first 4 pages of the thread when I put this post in. :bash: :bash
:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:24:18 PM by Cylvertip »
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2014, 02:04:59 PM »
St Helens has snow just like Baker!

The point of the cross post was to illustrate how a snow field fall and slide can have significant consequences and how the proper gear and training to arrest a fall, or prevent it in the first place can save a helo evac
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:10:40 PM by Rob »
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
St Helens has snow just like Baker!

The point of the cross post was to illustrate how a snow field fall and slide can have significant consequences and how the proper gear to arrest a fall, or prevent it in the first place can save a helo evac

Snow yes, but not a wall like that.. and not as treacherous... and I'm not sure sledding down a mountain (like they do to go down Helen's) is the same as hiking down it (as they do on Baker) :dunno:. Lots go up Helen's in warmer season and there's no snow at all on compared to Baker's year round snow. There is a big difference in the mountains, and Baker is more dangerous. If you're going up Helen's in the early and mid winter then I'd agree with you to be prepared with everything possible but going up later then no.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2014, 02:39:18 PM »
I have been on both, and you are right, they are totally different mountains.   lots more snow and glacier on Baker.

But on a trip in April - June on Helens you will see large snow fields. In the right, (or wrong! conditions), you will be potentially faced with very slick slopes that if you slip while walking down, you will loose 100-1,000 feet of altitude in one bite.  The slip is no big deal.  Its the landing that is an issue!  if the slope tails out then you coast to a nice slow stop.  If it terminates with a rock field, a cliff, or in the case of the cross post, a tree (which btw means they were not even on the snow fields/glaciers when it happened), then it could be disasterous.

I was up at Muir two weekends ago on a Rainer summit scounting trip for later this year and on the way down we saw a guy struggling on the panorama point section of the climb.  This is a steep section of about 400 feet of gain.  He slipped and shot down the snow like a rocket - probably only lost 200 feet of altitude and looked like he was doing 20mph down the hill.  He did pretty good till the last 20 yards when he snowballed and had a yardsale.  Was scratched up pretty bad, but no major injuries.  Had he hit something probably would have broken something.  He is lucky he did not snap his wrists with his trekking poles that were still on his wrists.  Crampons would have prevented the fall, and an ice axe would have arrested it once it happened.

Mt St Helens is an easy hike overall and the south ascent is not technical at all.  But it is also not Mt Si.  She can eat your lunch if you don't keep an eye on her!
  - Chris Ledoux

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal