collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opening morning success (2)  (Read 1798 times)

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
Opening morning success (2)
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »
I tried to post pics on the first version and messed it up.  Here is the story - I will work on pics

Opening morning started off on the back corner of our river place with my buddy and I looking at the largest group of mule deer I have ever seen during rifle season - well over 60 in the group.  They were mostly does, but there were 6 or 7 legal bucks in the group.  I told Josh to hold off and wait for a bachelor group that I had watched all year, there were 6 bucks in the group (all legal) and 2 24"-26" shooters.  It wasn't long before I spotted a group of deer feeding out of a draw about 700 yards away.  The Swarovski spotter confirmed that these were the bucks we were after.  We headed down the ridge pack to the pick-up and headed to the "two point" draw to head them off.  We made our way down to the draw and it was full of deer.  There was a nice 24" buck about 150 yards away and I gave Josh the green light.  Three shots later, the buck was headed over the hill unscathed.  I told Josh not to worry, I knew exactly where they were headed.  We headed back to the pickup and drove around to the "front draws".  Again, they were full of deer with 9 or 10 bucks in view and a really tall 26" three point.  I told Josh "that is the buck you need to kill".  We parked the pickup and headed up the draw.  I spotted a 22" four-point bedded in the next draw, but it was not the one we were after.  The second draw had 4 bucks (two legal) bedded in the bottom, but no big boy.  We worked up the last draw and a three point busted out of bottom 75 yards away.  I whistled to get him to look at us so I could see his width - when all of a sudden "boom" and he dropped from sight.   I guess Josh could not wait any longer.   We both smiled, but the smile was short-lived as the big boy ran out of the bottom of the draw only 200 yards away.  Josh was a little bummed, but pretty happy to get his deer.   We laughed again when we saw that it was only 8:15 a.m. and we were done.  We drove around a little and saw a ton more bucks, but not the big boy.  Here is Josh pointing to the big boy.......
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:45:08 PM by jjhunter »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand