collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I Suck at Scouting for Bear.  (Read 5929 times)

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
I Suck at Scouting for Bear.
« on: June 22, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »
Like the subject says, I Suck at Scouting for Bear. The only time I've seen one was when I wasn't on a "Scouting for Bear" excursion. Oh well, there's still time.

And this weekend was no different. I had planned to take a loop hike, backpacking overnight, to Iron Mt. then on to Ingalls Creek (by Mt. Stuart), and then back via Longs Pass. I plotted it in Google Earth and it showed as 6.5 miles.

Took the hike and it ended up being 12.8 miles. Not really a surprise.

Saw lots of country, but no Bears.

Moon shine above Iron Mt.

Iron Mt. The Next Morning.

Mt. Stuart

The North Side of Longs Pass.

Almost up to the pass.

The view of Mt Stuart from Longs Pass is Amazing. When I got up there I was greeted by a Nanny and Kid Mt. Goat. I thought it was pretty cool.

Mt. Goats and Mt. Stuart

I posted a video on YouTube as well:
Goats at Longs Pass

:)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:01:13 AM by samckernan »

Offline crazysccrmd

• Scout
Re: I Suck at Scouting for Bear.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:12:43 AM »
What did you use to track your actual route?
"Republicans NEED to find a salesman! They couldn't sell a hooker on a troop ship full of 10,000 marines!" - thanks Special T

Offline bmccalister

• Brent McCalister
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
Bears or no bears it looked like it was a great time. Love the pics. Did you see any nice sized deer on your trip?
IAFF Local F-282

Offline nocklehead

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:05:56 AM »
That goat wasnt scared at all! Looks like she sized you up for a minute there and decide you werent a threat!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
I Suck at Scouting for Bear.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »

I've used the runkeeper app on my iPhone as long as you can keep the battery going. It works well. There's also a tracker built into the alltrails app that works the same. Used that one time on a hike with my kiddo.
Great pics. Looks like its getting time to hit the high country.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »
Looks like a good trip. I was out scouting for the high hunt yesterday. Didn't see any bears up high nor tracks. But when I got down low saw a nice blond blackie hanging out in the greens along the creek. Chances are the bears are going to be in the established greens which are down low, but as the greens grow thicker up high the bears will follow. Tough year for berries this year wil the late snowpack. Saw light dusting of snow way high from last weeks storm that moved thru
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »
This is meant to be helpful not confrontational. To me it appears you were on a good hiking and sightseeing trip rather than scouting/hunting bear.

Bear follow the food, know what bear eat at the time of the year you will be out and hunt the food. Right now bear are eating lush greens or grubbing for insects, mostly at lower elevations. As soon as berries ripen they will be in the ripe berries and as the berries ripen higher on the mountain the bear will move up the mountain, but you are probably not going to find many ripe berries, insects, or lush greens up in the snow.

Know what salmonberry, blackberry, huckleberry, blueberry, and other berry brush looks like. Later in the summer/fall when the berries ripen go back in there and hike until you find berries. Sit and watch berry patches where the berries are ripe, or hike back and forth between ripe berry patches, especially at prime time, first hour and last hour of the day. Remember, if the berries aren't ripe the bear will not be in them yet. The bear will be in the best ripe food sources at any given time of the year. As the food ripens in different areas the bear move. Good Luck!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »

I used to carry a Garmin 400t, but the screen got all scratched up. Now I just carry an Android Phone with a GPS tracking app. It's not as accurate, but good enough. Maybe 5% less accurate. So, it's acceptable. Now I only carry one device.

I've used the runkeeper app on my iPhone as long as you can keep the battery going. It works well. There's also a tracker built into the alltrails app that works the same. Used that one time on a hike with my kiddo.
Great pics. Looks like its getting time to hit the high country.

I carry several backup batteries for my Android phone...
Bears or no bears it looked like it was a great time. Love the pics. Did you see any nice sized deer on your trip?

I did see a group of 4 deer on the Teanaway River Road on the way up (two Bucks and two Doe). Buck were in velvet and didn't look extraordinary. Didn't see any while out in the forest.
That goat wasnt scared at all! Looks like she sized you up for a minute there and decide you werent a threat!

I was thinking about the dude that got gored and killed over in the Olympics. I had my rifle at the ready and was prepared fire a round into the dirt. That and just use it to block the horns from poking me. The sign at the trail head says it's OK to throw rocks at them. That's pretty weird.

Looks like a good trip. I was out scouting for the high hunt yesterday. Didn't see any bears up high nor tracks. But when I got down low saw a nice blond blackie hanging out in the greens along the creek. Chances are the bears are going to be in the established greens which are down low, but as the greens grow thicker up high the bears will follow. Tough year for berries this year wil the late snowpack. Saw light dusting of snow way high from last weeks storm that moved thru

Where is the High Country that you scout, and where did you see the Bear, If you don't mind me asking...

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to concentrate on going forward, staying lower and following as the grass creeps uphill...

There was a couple of inches of new snow on top of the crust going up to Longs Pass. It sure felt good to get out there.

Quote from: bearpaw
This is meant to be helpful not confrontational. To me it appears you were on a good hiking and sightseeing trip rather than scouting/hunting bear.

Bear follow the food, know what bear eat at the time of the year you will be out and hunt the food. Right now bear are eating lush greens or grubbing for insects, mostly at lower elevations. As soon as berries ripen they will be in the ripe berries and as the berries ripen higher on the mountain the bear will move up the mountain, but you are probably not going to find many ripe berries, insects, or lush greens up in the snow.

Know what salmonberry, blackberry, huckleberry, blueberry, and other berry brush looks like. Later in the summer/fall when the berries ripen go back in there and hike until you find berries. Sit and watch berry patches where the berries are ripe, or hike back and forth between ripe berry patches, especially at prime time, first hour and last hour of the day. Remember, if the berries aren't ripe the bear will not be in them yet. The bear will be in the best ripe food sources at any given time of the year. As the food ripens in different areas the bear move. Good Luck!

I hear what you are saying. I got fixated on this particular hike and went anyway thinking I "might" see something. It was a good hike, but you are correct, it was more of a sightseeing trip. Next weekend I'm heading up towards Hyas Lake and I'm going to stay in the valley. Thanks for the input.

sam
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:25:15 AM by samckernan »

Offline skagitsteel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:01:47 PM »

I would second this statement, they definately follow the food.  Now is the time to pay attention to which hillsides melt out 1st and what is growing on them.  Last July I found a ton of sign in July on a logging road but nothing in the alpine meadows above the logging unit.  When the berries ripened in early september there was no sign in the logging unit, but lots of bear activity on the berry fields above.  If you you are looking for an august 1st alpine bear focus on hellebore, and grassy meadows, keep in mind they wont be where you find them now when the season opens.   :twocents:

Offline bmccalister

• Brent McCalister
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
I like bearpaw's tips. I have heard the same advice from several other successful hunters. Thanks you for sharing. :tup:
IAFF Local F-282

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
Bearpaw's advice is spot on.  Bears live by their stomach.   Awesome adventure but....

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 06:38:27 PM »
That's why I love bear hunting in the fall ...No bugs - lots of Blue berries and the scenery is second to none ...I love the fall  :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline Maligator

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Meh...I've got you beat: I've never seen a bear in the wild. Now it could be that I spend a lot of time hiking with my dog or it could be that my job doesn't let me get out as much as I like...  :dunno:

Naaa, I suspect the real reason is because Dale tells them all to hide when I'm in the woods so that he can guide me to the really nice looking ones   :chuckle:
NAHC Life Member

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »
Could be your dog
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal