collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peaches Ridge Bull Tag and Taneun Cow Tag (story of my dream season) 2013  (Read 12712 times)

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Hear is my Story,
I have been on and off this site for many years now and post only on the occasion to pat someone on the back.
This will be My first attempt to do something more, so please be kind when I make a mistake hear and there. I am human after all.
I started out a bow hunter at the age of 10. My father was a rookie bow hunter then as well, he switched from modern firearm when  three or four bullets came down within three feet of him as another hunter was spraying the woods after a nice buck. Never again I remember him saying when he came home that year.
I spent the next many years as a mule deer hunter chasing does in teanaway. Saw many a monster mule deer just never in bow range (way back then it way any deer)
335 was all I knew until a friend of my dad suggested we try black tail deer over in mossyrock 505 There are way more deer overhear. I have to admit there were more deer over in 505,510, and 667. (little guys and very sneaky)
Tryed my hand at elk over in 352 nile never had the chance to pull my bow back.
My grand father and my uncle were die hard modern elk hunters in 328 every year and brought home many elk over the years not every year but many times, old uncle kevin even got a monster 5x5 one year.
My grand father was getting to the age and health that I made the decision to go elk hunting in the famous 328 that they had talked about for all my life. saw more elk than i had in all my days of walking the forest.
now I will say that the number of hunters was overwhelming wow!!!  Man those elk move a hole lot faster when its rifle season, always running!!!!
Grandpa has left us and my uncle kevin said he was retired from hunting with out grandpa.
Well my dad and I made him a deal he picks the elk special permits we all put in for and He would go one last year even though grandpa is gone. (Don't tell him but it is a plot to get him back on the horse, he took the loss of grandpa quite hard)
So years of putting in for bow special permits gets used for modern. Well I think grandpa must have had a hand in this but some how we group permit peaches ridge any bull tag oct 21-nov 3 and taneum cow tag oct 3-nov 3. Thanks Grandpa (I think he may be telling uncle kevin to keep hunting)
I am a hard core scouter so lots of plans for scouting this year leading up to the start of our tags.
I will post what I learn and what I see.
I have never got an elk before. Shot a spike in 328 My second year rifle it was stumbling down a hill when another guy came out of the woods across from me and shot him six or more times.
By the time I got there He was filling out his tag.
This could be the year !!!!
Dream season !!!!
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline elk247

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
I can dig it. Cool story. Family is what its all about. With a peaches tag this year its , peaches bull, seahawks, fishing. In that order. Best of luck to you, dad and uncle kevin.  :tup:

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
If you neef any help with your taneum cow tag ill be there on the wednesday opener that's an east one.pm me.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
You should do fine on your hunt especially since you will be scouting it hard.. Congrats on your permit.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
PM SENT
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Planning the first scouting trip of the year for this Sunday. Weather looks good so far.
Taking my Wife and three boys Mountain biking/Hiking.  (scouting  :-X)
Going to check out the taneum (336) . Never Been there before myself. one of my Uncles old hunting areas
Anything I need to know.
Bringing the Nikon D60 so hopefully will be posting pics when I Return.
Just want to get the feel for the area and look around.
Thinking about purchasing a Trail camera. Do I have to purchase a really expensive one or is there a quality budget model you could recommend?

Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
You can get good results without spending a lot of money on a trail camera. Personally I like to keep the price under $100.

I would recommend this Tasco:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QWRXOU

It seems to be a lot of camera for the price, although I've only had mine for about 6 months so I have yet to see how it will hold up over time.

If you want color pictures at night there aren't many options anymore. But a good one is the Moultrie L50 which you can get for $75 or sometimes as low as $50.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Another good deal, Bushnell "demo" model, 8mp, from Natchez Shooters Supply. I don't have one of these but Bushnell has a good reputation and for $80 you can't go wrong. (Or $70 each of you buy two)

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BH119435C&src=tpSlrHm

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Thanks bobcat I am going to get one or maybe more.
Really appreciate the great advise.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
JUST GOT BACK FROM MY FIRST SCOUTING TRIP. LEARNED A LOT ABOUT THE AREA. (TANEUM) STEEP AS HELL !!!!!!!!
LOTS OF ELK AND DEER TRACKS EVERYWHERE.
HERE ARE MY PICS.
6X6 50 YARDS OFF THE ROAD SORRY NIKON GOT FORGOT AT HOME  :bash: :bash: :bash:
NEEDLESS TO SAY THE I-PHONE LET ME DOWN.  :bash: :bash: :bash: 
JUST POSTING THE PIC SO YOU KNOW I SAW SOMETHING.
I SWEAR ON MY LIFE HUGE  6X6. THIS GUY WAS FAT AS A PIG. (HUGE BODY)
NOW I HAVE FOUND A PLACE TO START MY SCOUTING.
ALSO SAW THIS NICE TWO POINT MULEY IN VELVET
MUCH BETTER JOB I-PHONE
WON'T FORGET THE CAMERA NEXT TIME. MISSED A GREAT CHANCE FOR A PERFECT PIC.
I WILL KEEP THE REPORTS AND STORY GOING AS IT HAPPENS.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Got the green light to go up again this weekend. Taneum again
leave sat after work come home tue night. Ah , I love me some scouting  :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:
Taking camera and pistol (just in case)
Going to consentrate efforts lower this time. Need some road suggestions (no honey holes) just road numbers to take a look around on the lower areas.
Any recommendations ?????
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Update  :hello:
So, I have been scouting about three time since My last update. Really trying to learn the road network (not a road hunter) , lay of the land, and hopefully see an animal or two. Bought a nice Garmin 62c GPS      WOW!!!! are they complicated!! I got a good handle on it now. New to this area so needed to learn everything I could.
Have not seen a lot of elk, but saw two very large mule deer bucks last Sunday. One was size you see in the Magazines "HUGE" Tall tines. Hell the first thing I said was there's a bull. Wait, monster mule deer!
OK, here comes the excuses for not spending as much time up there as I had planned. (Just for the record)
#1 My oldest son Myles is going to Carey a rifle for the first time deer hunting this year. So I have traded many of my available scouting sundays for range days getting him confident in his skills for a clean accurate kill.
#2 I am the sole provider for my family (three boys, wife and me) and was offered a second job on my days off bringing home good money so could not pass it up. I work 4 ten hour days at my first job, 2 eight hour days for the new second job,
and side job when ever there is a request for my services. Busy Busy bee
No more excuses ELKTOBER IS HERE !!!!!!!
I am leaving on the 12Th for blacktail Deer hunting with my cousin, Dad, three boys and myself.
This Sunday is last range day for some confidence building shooting for Myles and Me. Also my youngest Boys Bday the big 10.
I am going to work better on updating this like so many that I have read.
Hey Jason, if your still out there PM ME.
The Story continues

Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Natures Way

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, RMEF, DUCKS UNLIMITED, UTA, ITA, OTA
Good luck!

Offline slowhand