collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Compliments of 140 GR Hornaday Interlock ! And now the 180 gr (UP DATED TODAY)  (Read 24204 times)

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
O.k I never posted many bear pictures on here but I figured I will give Hornaday the credit they deserve ..  and this thread is not going to be all about what BH45 has to say about it but is open for everyone ..Back in the 90s I lived to hunt bears ...It did not matter if was August and 90 degrees out we still went ...and have killed bears in the middle of the day when it was at its hottest ...I have been lucky in finding some awesome spots where no one that I know has been and its been that way for 20 yrs ...But I hike my butt off to find them ...Bears have to have water So when it is hot like in August look for water supply and in like a couple of my spots I have a creek running threw an old clear cut which has Salmon Berries growing on both sides of the creek ...Bears have all they need to drink and eat ...also if you can find there traveling spot that's a plus too ! Like my best spot has a huge cedar which fall across the creek ...9 out of 10 x the bears come out of the timber and use the cedar to cross the creek to get to the Salmon Berries ...unfortunately not many has made it across when I have been sitting there  :chuckle:  I have been walking and getting in shape this year so let the party begin ...I have not hunted bears much lately in August but I may need to take a hike or 2 when the season begins ...better get to loading some 140 gr Hornadays for that .270  :dunno: :chuckle:  I HAVE !!!! :chuckle: :chuckle:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:11:25 PM by BOWHUNTER45 »

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Re: Compliments of 140 GR Hornaday Interlock !
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:36:46 AM »
Hold on ...this could get boring if I do not throw in a story or two ! When I came out here from PA . All I could think about is hunting elk and bear ...I remember asking locals about elk and bear hunting and not many had much to tell me ..So I decided I would take matters into my own hands and start scouting and finding what I need to know to start bagging up these critters ...Well it was not long before I had my neighbors and friends asking me where I have been finding all this stuff  :dunno: :chuckle:    Here is my very 1st Bear in Washington ....never seen a bear before until this one ...I was hunting an area where there was some fresh logging and when I walked up the road I saw a camp trailor parked on the side of the road ..I walked up to it and out comes this guy ..WATCHMAN ! For the logging company ! So we start talking and hit it off right off the bat ..I told him I just moved here from PA. and I am looking for a bear ...he just smiles at me ..tells me you have come to the right spot but you need to hike up that ridge over there and there is a creek where the bears always hang out ...so after about another hour I decide to go check this out ...Not having an intensions of seeing anything I slowly make my way up threw the bush and hit this old grade . I decided to walk the old grade to see where it went and when I got to the end of it  :yike: :yeah: I Looked down at the creek and seen a Grizzly Standing on its back legs  :yike: :o Well it looked like one  :dunno: :chuckle: So I am in shock and lay down on this log pile ..He is about 300 yrds plus just eating like a pig and every once in awhile he would stand up and look around ...So I watched him for about 10 minutes or so because my heart was pumping so fast I could not get it together ...1st time seeing a bear and I was freaking out ...After I got my senses straight he stands up again I put the crosshairs in center of his neck just above his shoulder and squeezed Pooooow....I see nothing ...I was not sure if I missed or what ...So it takes me about a half hour to get there because I had no Idea what bush was until this very day ... :yike: when I got to the creek I could not find him  :bdid: but the brush was over my head So I looked around some and walked about 10 yrds down stream and  :yike: there he was ...one shot just above the shoulder   ..NIGHT NIGHT ...I now hooked for life !! The old .270 whitetail killer is now a Bear killer .... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »
Holy cow....look at that skinny dude with the bear!

I like these old pics...very cool.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
Holy cow....look at that skinny dude with the bear!

I like these old pics...very cool.
:chuckle: :chuckle: how about this one .... This bear followed me up the creek ...when I got to my stand I layed my gun down on a log ..did not have my pack off yet when my little buddy started freaking out ,,,BEAR BEAR I Looked down at the creek we just walked up and the bear was running up the creek to get to the timber has fast as he could ...Obviously got our wind ...I crabbed the gun and jumped up on the log so I could see him when he popped up ..I threw up off hand and as soon as his nose hit the crosshairs Poooooow ... he instantly was chasing his tail in circles and fell over ....after I gutted him I was sitting there putting my stuff away and I turned around and looked at the gutpile and it was MOVING  :yike: He had worms crawling around in him at 12 long ... :yike: :bdid: So I boned it out and gave the meat to a friend who could careless about the worms ...I was not eating it !
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:43:57 AM by BOWHUNTER45 »

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »
Oh my.  " I thought you'd be bigger".   :tung: :chuckle:

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:59:51 AM »

Snap!   :chuckle:

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
I better clarify that the last photo was not from 2012  :chuckle: I had to take a picture of an old picture to post it ... :chuckle: :chuckle:

Here I better throw one in Compliments of WASP .... :chuckle: :chuckle:  Shot this one while Elk Hunting Peaches Ridge Area ...1st morning in camp I was walking down a horse trail when she walked up to me at 3 steps  :yike: WHACK ...straight threw the chest head on ....went about 15 yrds and flopped over !
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:51:51 AM by BOWHUNTER45 »

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »

Being a backwoods road kill eaten' Pennsylvanian, his size may be average.  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Nice looking bears BH45! I would sure like to put some time in after one of those animals. :tup:
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »
Do not worry ...I am a lot fatter now  :chuckle: That's why when I say lazy I mean like a buck 190 lazy ! To many of these over the last 10 years  :brew: :DOH:

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
Here is another one from way back when ... A lot of color phase bears in the area I hunt ..and remember the cedar tree that fall across the creek ? Well it is a death zone like I said earlier  :chuckle:  I think this was # 4 off that same tree ...That tree is still there today ...it is around 3 ft in diameter and being cedar is has lasted a vary long time ... I hope I can get my lazy butt in there in August ...since back in early 90s is when I killed most of my bears in August ... about 2000 I figured out about hunting in September and how much easier it was to find bear and not deal with the heat and bugs ... I will get to the September Bears soon   :chuckle: actually I messed up !!  A couple of the 1st bears I posted were in September ...

This one was in August ! Hippy lookin BH45 ...HAHA

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »
I like the mullet....very classy indeed. Keep them coming Bh.....digging the old pics man.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
O.k 1 more and I will give it a brake ...I have to start framing a house tomorrow So I will not be around as much !

This is along story  :chuckle: Me and my 2 hunting buddies hike in to my spot early one morning and once we got up there I set them in my favorite spot ..They were brothers ..I told them to sit there and do not move until I get back ..after I dropped them off I hike up the ridge above them and was actually watching them for awhile ..just wanted to see if they would stay put .. :chuckle: after about an hour or so I started glassing over top of there heads to see if I could spot anything ..Well ..it took me about 10 minutes and Bam ...I see a bear about 100yrds below them ..I whistled about 20x and they never looked my way and the bear was feeding away and they could not see it ...Bushes are about 3 to 4 ft tall ...so I pick up my stuff and head there way ...once I get there I looked hard before saying anything about a bear ..could not see it ...So I told them I just saw one while I was sitting above you ..They said yeah right ! So we glassed for another hour and nothing ..I tried to tell them to stay put and he will show himself again ...they always do ...just be patient ! They then tell me that I could sit here and keep waiting and they wanted to head to where I came from  :dunno: :yike: I said O.K Just follow the old grade to the top and you can watch me and watch down the hill toward the other creek and I will hang here ...If I know there is a bear working a spot I never leave . They will feed for awhile then take a nap and then pop up again ... So THEY HEAD OFF .. It was not 10 minutes later when I looked down the hill and there he was ....  :chuckle: :chuckle: All I could see is his head and the upper part of his chest when he stood up to pull the berries down ... I rested off an old log and when he popped his head up I put the crosshairs on his neck ..right below his chin ...and poooow ...I see bushes flying everywhere and he is screaming his head off doing the death cry ...I could not see him ..just bushes moving and him screaming ...Finally I got a little hole to shoot threw and poooow again ...this time no more movement or crying ..I knew he was dead then ...My 1st shot hit him square in the mouth ..took out all his teeth ...ouch ...should of held a little lower since I was shooting down a steep hill but he got it hard the second one ! So I sit there for a few minutes and here they come ...my 2 buddies .. :dunno: :chuckle: :chuckle: All they were just hissed off ...but like I told them ...no patients ....no nothing ...They still did not believe me until we got there ..they whined the whole time about going down hill threw bush and devil clubs  :chuckle: I laughed the whole time ...

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 06:36:42 AM »
Nice :tup:  Really liking the old pics and the "classic" camO.  Good write up too  :tup:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 06:45:24 AM »
Very nice pics BH45! You have whacked quite a few bears!! :tup: We may need to start a trip down memory lane including PA pics. Keep the bears coming, I am enjoying this thread.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 07:01:39 AM »
 Those are some great pics :tup: :tup:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal